Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buying my first MIG welder!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SinCityRatFink, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Im sure this has been covered on here before but i cant find exactly what I'm looking for..

I'm planning on buying my first welder (mig) in the next week or so.. I have been doing my research for a couple weeks.. reading reviews etc.. I dont want to go cheap (hf) but im not rich either. I've got about 500-600 dollar budget. Plus a couple hundred set aside for mask, gas tank and cart. Im thinking about picking up the lincoln or hobart 140. I'm 100% a beginner so I understand I will need a lot of practice.. I plan on replacing some floor pans and a cab brace on my f100.. then and here's my real question: would a welder of this size work for a c notch/frame work? Or should I go with something more powerful? Like a 180. Is it necessary to spend the 300.00 or so more?? If thats the case ill probably wait till after Christmas. I wont be welding everyday but I just don't want to waste my money if I'm going to have to upgrade in the NEAR future.

Any advice is much appreciated.. thanks in advance.

2. I have the Hobart handler 185. it has served me well. I would recommend a 220 volt machine. I have used the 140 and its fine until chassis stuff needs welded. I bought mine as a package with cart and helmet from tractor supply. If funds are a problem there they usually have a 90 days same as cash deal .good luck

3. check craigslist also

4. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Save yourself a few bucks by making your first project the welding cart. Gives you a little experience with the welder and some satisfaction of building something. A little scrounging can turn up some wheels (lawn mower, etc) and some metal (bed frame or what ever).

5. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

You can't go wrong with the Millermatic 200, it's 120/220 volt or the Lincoln, Power Mig, 180. I don't know anything about the Hobart machines but I'm sure they are good machines. Shop around, I got my Lincoln on line and it included free shipping and a free cart. When I took the info to my local welding supply he could not match the price. I felt bad but his quote was over $200 more than the on line price!

6. iroc409

iroc409

I picked up a NIB Hobart 210MVP off Craig's List with hood for $600. He had the jacket too, but it was too small. I'd wait out a deal if you could, but you have to sort through a lot of crap.

7. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Chassis work requires a 220 Volt machine. Spend a couple of hundred more and get the added amperage, you won't be sorry. No one with a 220 machine has ever wished that they bought a 110 instead.

8. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

I'd go with the Miller 110 /220 machine, much more versatile, although the American made 110 volt machines are OK too. Remember, you can do small jobs on a larger welder, but not the other way around. Good luck. If not in a hurry, you will find something on Craig's list within your price range.

9. kustomclassics

kustomclassics

check your local welding supply store as they sometimes have repossesed machines or trade ins.

10. Noland

Noland

I like miller, but lincoln and hobart are good also. I like 220 machines because I find them so much more useful. used machines is probably the best bang for the buck.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  11. 1950heavymetal

1950heavymetal

Just recently purchased a millermatic 211 autoset. I'm no pro but I'm glad I saved my money for this machine. I realize this is above your price point but they have a great rebate that offsets the extra cost of a jacket, helmet & gloves. My opinion is buy a welder for a lifetime of use, don't rush the decision, you'll regret it. I'm also not trying to turn this into a welder brand debate, just saying I'd save a little more for an excellent machine that u will be thrilled to use. Don't forget about the cost of Renton or owning the shield gas bottle too. Just my 2 cents.

Posted from the international space station & powered by the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

Be patient and see what you can find used. As you already know a good welder will cost you $500+, then a bottle will cost you a couple hundred more then add on the other accessories and at $800+ real quick. I was patient an bought a Lincoln 140C with bottle, cart, auto darkening helmet, and some wire for $495.

If you can spring for it and have a 220 outlet I'd go with a 220. But I wouldn't pass on a good buy for a 120, since you can alawys sell it off later.

Also, you'll notice welders from the box stores aren't the same from the welding supply shop. A ProMig140 will go from A-E on the power setting where as a PowerMig140C has twice as many settings, A-J.

13. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

I have to agree with the rest, get a 220 machine, well worth the money. I have a lincoln 155, I believe the replacement is the 185 now. I bought the 155 in 95 and it has served me well, patch panels, light gauge and boxing of frames and I still use it. I also bought a lincoln 216 for heavier work, frames etc. Cost wise slightly cheaper than the miller equivalent but in my opinion just as quality as the miller but you will get mixed comparisons. Once you dial in to the machine you purchase, welding becomes an easy task to learn with use

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  14. EastCoastRodder1933

EastCoastRodder1933
    from New Jersey

Good luck on your welding purchase and don't do what I did. I bought an off brand welder and wish I really would have just spent the extra money and bought a name brand welder. Lesson learned.

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I made a cart from a discarded shopping cart. Now I need to get a machine. Anyone discarding one?:D

16. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

whatever you have make sure it has gas. I started and learned on a flux core only lincoln machine (from Home Depot) and it's all I ever used. I've been splitting a shop with a buddy for a couple of months who's got the hobart you reference and it's a great machine. I can't believe the difference in gas vs flux cored. I guess I learned the hard way.

220 is the way to go IF you have 220 access. if not it's pretty useless--AND you have to pay an electrician to run a drop for it--just food for thought.

17. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My first small mig was a Hobart purchased in 2001. It went to hell in 6 months and I scrapped it and went with a miller 110 machine. That one lasted till a year ago and was getting pretty beat up as it was always on the road. I replaced it with a Miller 211 Autoset with both 110 and 220 on the same machine. It can run on a small generator or plug into 220. Seems to weld the same regardless or power source. Best welder I have ever owned bar none. When I'm at my shop I often end up using this on 110 instead of the big Miller with as spool gun because its so easy to drag a 110 cord around. I was very happy with the original Miller 110 machine and was reluctant to spend the money for the 110/220 but since I did I would never go back. Its so good that even my welds look good and that says a lot cause I'm a veterinarian and a veterinary weld is even worse than a farmer weld.

18. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

Take a look at an Eastwood 175. When I needed to upgrade from a 115 Century to a 220 machine I checked everything out there. I had previous experience with Eastwood and had a positive view of them generally. When I compared features and price I chose the Eastwood. For about 500 bucks you get a spool gun and I still believe they have a three year warranty. While I wish we all could have a Miller reality says differently. By the way it comes with a Tweco style gun so you can get consumables most anywhere.

19. jlhelm

jlhelm
    from Minnesota

I started with a Lincoln 100 and a small gas bottle. Great for sheet metal, notsomuch for the heavy stuff. Now I have a Miller 180 auto. It is kind of like welding for dummies. Works great.

20. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

A 220 volt (if you have 220 volt access) 180 amp minimum that's setup for gas. Miller also owns Hobart so Hobart is Millers "cheaper" brand, but Hobart's are also good machines. Spend the extra $300 or so for 180 + amps, if you buy a smaller machine you will very soon realize that you should have went bigger.

21. michaelthe9

michaelthe9

I went cheap first and thought I just could not MIG weld. I got the Millermatic 180 and am not sorry I spent the bucks. The 180 showed me that it was not my welding skills that was the problem. The problem was the equipment was cheap. That Millermatic 180 works so well for me. Yes...I did my rear C-notch with it. I do large and small stuff on my Vicky and I dig it! It welds great, has auto or manual settings and pretty much no problems at all. Good luck.
    Michael

22. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

You get what you pay for!

23. stinger40

stinger40

I also have the Miller 211 and love it, great machine! I am so glad I spent the extra money, worth every penny. I also bought online- free shipping & no sales tax, plus the Miller rebate helped with the cost. And the option of running it on 110 or 220 is great.

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a Millermatic 210, that is about 15-years-old. I have, quite literally, put MILES of wire through it, 35lbs. at-a-time. Aside from regular wear items, and one torch I ran over with a forklift, I have had not had to do anything to it, ever.

Used is fine. Just have it checked by someone experienced, or your local welding supply store.

25. I love my Miller 210. it was on sale a special deal, a aluminium spool gun and the extra regulator. 14 years ago. Use quality wire. it's set up for .023 and .030 wire. good luck

26. Thanks for all the input guys.. I ended up picking up a millermatic 140 auto set today that I couldn't pass up.. guy was asking 700 with cart.. gas.. helmet.. gloves.. 1/2 of a 10 lb roll of .024 wire.. I got it for 600 and he kept the cart.. like some of you mentioned I'll build my own..

I wanted to pick up a 180 but didn't realize I needed a different 220v plug. I rent my house so it wasn't an option to wire one in.. I spoke with the guys at the lws a couple days ago and they said I shouldn't have a problem selling a 140 miller/lincoln if and when I decide to upgrade.. so I started searching craigslist for miller/lincolns. I like the auto set. Should make it easier for me.

Can't wait to get in the garage and start putting some scrap together.. cool thing is I have everything i need to get started.
    Thanks again guys.

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

28. wheel28

wheel28

Good score on the millermatic they are great welders . When I bought my 135 I thought I would sell it when I got a bigger welder, but kept it because I like the smaller gun and .023 wire for sheetmetal work. I have millermatic 251 for all work over 3/16.

Saves time and I hate changing wire sizes.

Will