Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

Gaysville Vermont before and after the flood of 1927

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. percboy5

percboy5
    from ohio

3. Hakro

Hakro

Two Nazis on a bus stop?

4. Vintage Nut

Vintage Nut

The tax dollars that would have been spent on maintaining them went towards building/maintaining newer/better planes. Not cheap, but it's less expensive than being number 2 in the world... :)

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I knew the B-36 was big but that pic really puts it into perspective. A B-29 is huge to begin with and it looks like it could fit under one wing.

The early 36s also had a freakish looking ginormous single wheel landing gear before going to a more contemporary 4 wheel setup.
    [​IMG]

6. fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

I'd thought maybe Engelbert, but will check other shots ... thx for clarification of Lancia stuff, too.
    steven

7. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Believe it or not, you're quoting what people were saying back when this photo first appeared. These are early model F-84E fighters that were nine years old; thoroughly obsolete at the time and in fact had already been passed down from the Air Force to the National Guard. Just goes to show how fast aviation was progressing at the time.

8. ttpete

ttpete
    from SE MI

If you look closely at the front tire, you can just make out Engelbert.

9. walpolla

walpolla

Doc,you have PM.

10. The F-84 was designed in 1945, it was useless as a fighter by Korea, it got royally defeated by the Mig-15. It was an OK ground attack aircraft though. It was worth more recycled into aluminum!

11. fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

the shot in question pre-dates ones i thought were of the same body; all the other shots i had show faired mirrors either side of dashboard (factory photo no.s 63129 - 38, etc.) and a windscreen.
    did find some naked space-frame shots with Engelberts on slotted wheels, though.
    steven

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  12. Tango88

Tango88

Chuck Yeager turned the 84's around. Flew a captured Mig and discovered it would go into a flat spin if turned too tight at speed. He retrained our boys on how to sucker the commie pilots into a decreasing radius turn then take'em out once they spun out. The kill rates immediately went into our favor. Same plane, savvy tactics taught by an old gunfighter.

BTW...Yeager flew combat missions in WWII (made ace in a day)...Korea...AND Viet Nam! Not show flights...the real deal Combat missions. He did OK for a hillbilly who went in as an enlisted man. So much for that college boy "Officer & a Gentleman" shit. He's one General I would stand in line to salute...and have. Oshkosh 1988.

13. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

General Yeager truely does have "The Right Stuff".

14. WCD

WCD

Its Don Ewald.

15. WCD

WCD

Targa Florio?

16. WCD

WCD

I had a friend who worked for Summers Bros. in the late 70's to early 80's. In making inquiry about this very car, he accompanied me to a used car lot a few blocks away wherein he took me over to long car trailer that was covered with a tarp. Remove the tarp, and there was the Golden Rod, albeit a bit weathered.

17. 1956 pontiac wagon

1956 pontiac wagon
    from chetopa ks

does anyone know what the date will be for the 2014 h.a.m.b drags at mokan

18. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

August 16th 2014

It is the Saturday after the opening of Speed week which is the 2nd week in August.

B:DB

19. spiders web

spiders web

Had we not invented computers the world might be a much better place. A lot of great memories in these pictures. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

20. fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

If not for computers I would not have seen (and saved for future reference) a fraction of these pictures, or had exposure to everyone's contributions.

21. not to rush the holiday, but i hope everyone has a wonderful tanks gibbin!

Attached Files:

22. toslow

toslow
    from colorado

23. BornBuick

BornBuick

Sorry but i just don't get it ? Is it the photo or your bad spelling and taste that is suppose to be a bunt of the joke?

24. J_J_

J_J_

That was Buckwheat in the photo if I'm not mistaken and he always talked like that, kinda what added to his fame..
    not really distasteful, don't turn it into something it's not.

25. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

I guess you don't know about "the little rascals" from the 30's/40's. tv just doesn't play the good stuff a lot of us grew up on. do you like shows about vampires?

Attached Files:

26. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Loved the "Little Rascals/Our Gang". Grew up watching them on T.V.
    Buckwheat, Sammy, Spanky, Alfalfa, Butch. Even Robert Blake was in the act. He was always crying.

27. Aw, c'mon!

28. 57olds

57olds
    from ohio

1957 Oldsmobile's

Attached Files:

29. jroberts

jroberts

They have a B-36 on display in the SAC Museum just south of Omaha. Yes, I mean "in" the museum. It is a monster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.