Register now to get rid of these ads!

TF - 59 Chevy Trk Deluxe Heater - Assembly & Installation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hd4unm, Dec 8, 2012.

1. hd4unm

hd4unm

Hi All,
    I'm new here but arrive with quite a few years of rod & custom under my belt.

Right now I'm installing a Deluxe Heater system in my '59 Chevy 3200. It has a basic heater that started to leak. So awhile back I acquired a complete Deluxe heater and now going at it.

I've searched and find some info, but sparse documentation on this particular project. All though it's enough for me to get the job done, I've been taking pictures thinking maybe it will help others further.

So QUESTION for you all that have TF Chevy trucks:

Should I keep going and document this process?
    It's a lot of extra work but I don't mind if it will help and go to good use.

Let me know please,
    Dave

2. purchase the reproduction assembly manual and it will tell you how.

3. donsz

donsz

I don't know about the assembly manual, but it is pretty well documented in the accessories manual. You can get them from the various Chevy truck on-line parts sellers.
    don

4. hd4unm

hd4unm

Thanks Guys but I have that info already. It is pretty straight forward if you have a clue, some don't.

Let me rephrase the post.
    My post asked "... I've been taking pictures thinking maybe it will help others further.
    So QUESTION for you all that have TF Chevy trucks:
    Should I keep going and document this process?

This is so if anyone would like further enhancement, of the old factory manual, based on the experience I encounter both novice and expert mechanic might benefit.

5. hd4unm

hd4unm

6. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Please post the info, and pictures you have taken. Someone will likely find it more beneficial than information from a manual.

7. That would be great! Yes, document it and post it. I will going through the process sometime in the next few months and it would be useful to see what you have. Thanks!

8. hd4unm

hd4unm

9. Camaro Mike

Camaro Mike

Thanks, great start! All those pictures are a great help to those of us whose truck never had a heater. I haven't started scrounging parts for my 55 but a heater and defogger would really help extend the season here in Chicago.

10. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Sure, now that i FINISHED mine, someone finally shows up to tell me how to do it. Oy! LOL. Definitely post it up, someone will need the info. Oh, and welcome!

11. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

sweet info dude. thanks !!!!

12. hd4unm

hd4unm

Thanks for the compliments guys. I just need to get back into the shop to finish it. I pulled the old unit out (I don't think stock) and now my firewall looks like swiss cheeseese along with the original and new holes. Any welding is going to wait until I do a full tear down. I'll seal them up and make it look as good as possible.

13. Hey thanks! That's some good info. I also have a swapmeet heater that I will be going through soon. I'm sure this will be a great help to me.

14. hd4unm

hd4unm

Well sometimes the best laid plans can go south on you no matter how good you try. I finally got back to work on it the other day and got it all installed, fired it up and all is well, the heat was blasting great. I go 3 miles down the road to NAPA to get a light bulb. I come back out to the truck and I have a puddle of green ooze on my floor mat. Damn. I thought maybe the hoses had relaxed when it warmed up as it was fairly chilly so I tightened them up. No luck... still leaking, drip, drip, drip. So I turn off the heat and head home. Today I took the heater box out, took it apart and it was pretty clear the control valve had started to leak.

I got online and found this link on how to rebuild the valve with a $9.99 part from NAPA #660-1000. The part will be in tomorrow.
    http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/HOW-TO Ranco Valve Seal Replacement.pdf

In hind-sight I should have just rebuilt it to start with, but I did test it. Oh well. It is going to be real nice having a heater in this old beast, it worked real well for awhile.

I'll get the rest of the tutorial on the installation soon.

Dave

15. llandes

llandes
    from California

Hi Dave, Just wondering since it's been a year, how that control valve is doing? I have a '59 and it had the standard heater. A few years back, I bought a nice looking used deluxe heater and finally just installed it. I was really happy until I experience the same as you. Drip, drip, drip on the maiden voyage. I wasn't smart enough to test it because it all looked so good.
    So I'm curious how it all worked out?
    Thanks!
    -Larry

16. hd4unm

hd4unm

Hey Larry,
    The repair worked out real well. Early season drive this fall showed no signs of leakage and plenty of heat. Just take your time on the crimps at the valve. Opening it up, then closing. And don't over flex the tabs, they could weaken quickly with too many open and close cycles. I used a little Permatex #2 to ensure a good seal, less is more on this one. Just a real thin coat. You'll need to get inventive to hold the sucker still without squeezing it out of shape while you crimp it back down.
    Good luck.
    Oh, make sure to lube and align those cables before it goes back in.
    Dave