Register now to get rid of these ads!

D501 Dodge 354 Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr2performance, May 25, 2013.

1. mr2performance

mr2performance
    from Indiana

I have a 57 354 Dodge D501 engine and misc parts along with the trunk emblem. Does anyone know what these things are worth? The engine is apart but complete. Does anyone know what these things are really worth? I've seen a trunk emblem bring $1850 on ebay a while back, but I've never seen a complete engine for sale. Thanks for any info! Mike

2. 73RR

73RR

Did you forget a decimal point?
    $18.50 or $185.00 or $1850.00 ???
    for a trunk emblem?

Only a whack-job uber-resto guy would do that and I wonder how many exist.

As to engine value, it is probably similar to a 3NE55/3NE56 but then only because of the ID code. Some folks have been known to change the stamps on std blocks rather than pay a reasonable price for a known block.

3. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

If it looks like this one, I'm interested!

[​IMG]

4. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

About $500

5. AndersF

AndersF

It is the same engine as the 300B from 1956.
    The first D500 57 was a 325 hemi but the new bodystyle 57 did not cut the air as well as the 56 car
    so those were faster. To fix that they start to use the 354 instead.
    If the stamp is D501 it should be a 54 241 and KD501 is the 354.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  6. Can you say NASCAR? They were sold for that purpose. CHP had some too. I learned just how fast the cop cars were first hand. never tried to out run them again.

7. carguy699

carguy699

go over to the forwardlook.net website. the guys over there should have a good idea of the value!

8. mr2performance

mr2performance
    from Indiana

I went to forwardlook.net and it wont let me register, not sure what is going on?Mike

9. Well, it's been a few months since the last post. Arnie Beswick ran a 57 Dodge D501 in 57. He sold the car to Lee Smith and Lee sold the car, and eventually bought it back. Lee still owns the car, as far as I know, and it is on loan to the Don Garlits museum in Ocala, FL. The car is red and white and 3 speed on the column. Lee Smith was a successful racer and won the Winter Nationals once and raced Hemi's, one of Lee's cars was a Belvidere wagon. Lee owned the Car Shop in Moline, IL

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Quite a few years ago (early '90s, as best as I can recall), I saw the former Arnie Beswick '57 D-501 at a car show in the Chicago suburbs. It is the only one I have ever seen in person.......

I was at the Garlits museum in Feb of 2013. I did not know the car is there and do not recall seeing it.......DANG! ......hope I didn't overlook it.... :confused:

What I have read about D-501's is that they basically used a '56 300B engine (as said in above post) and '57 Chrysler rear end, front end components, suspension and brakes.

I recall one being for sale on e-Bay a couple of years ago........in Tennessee or Kentucky, I think. Rare cars in any case.

11. George

George

Probably not worth the 8500 someone is wanting for this set up on the HH site....:eek:

12. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have always understood that 354's were only in Dodge trucks;, and of low compression. I thought the last Dodge car Hemi was the 325, in '57. A good friend has a factory dual-quad 325 that was in a truck. I believe it was designated k-500 or kd-500. Neat engine, it is only 5 cubes less than my '56 330 DeSoto, and lighter too. Wish I had bought it instead of the DeSoto; it was just too expensive.

13. George

George

See post #6!

14. The D501 had the 56 300B 354" engine. There were very few made, probably less than 100. I haven't been to Garlits museum for several years, it's possible that it is back home in IL. They came out later in the year and a lot of books and brochures, etc. don't list them. They had Chrysler 300 15" steel wheels too. It is believed they came without hub caps or wheel covers and had no tabs for dog dish hub caps. I think Lee told me he welded on tabs so he could put hub caps on the car.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  15. mr2performance. This thread (your question) 'has' been posted over there on the FwdLk site. General Discussion "motor $ question"

No one has responded. Why? Who knows. Maybe some, don't beleive you even have such a rare item? Several on that site will give the impression, they have no idea what planet they are on. According to them, You MUST build, restore, fix, whatever, that FwdLk 'Mope' EXACTLY as the "God Almighty Data Plate" sez it came! If you don't, you will be expected to 'donate' that FwdLk Mope to the "Chosen Few" over there who will make sure, ______________________ (fill in whatever name you want) will NOT put a Chevy motor, or modify,,,,,,,,,,. You get the idea.

Then there are some over there that are downright decent! Your car, do whith it what you wish.

Anyway.

73RR. I would not be surprised to see a NOS OEM D-501 trunk emblem sell in the TWO THOUSAND dollar (+) range! If you can find a decent OEM used one $800 or less, better buy it! Some of those 'whack jobs' will probably give you double that for it. Those emblems are one rung up on the 'rarity' ladder than the "hen's teeth"! Meaning, you have more of a chance getting struck by lightning than finding a box full of those emblems.

Even the OEM D-500 emblems are commanding "balls on a Giraffe" prices!

Mr2performamce. If the motor "is" indeed a genuine 354 D-501, and is complete, and not destoryed in any way! You have the same as a winning lottery ticket.

16. 73RR

73RR

...I do believe that PT Barnum said it best...

17. mr2performance

mr2performance
    from Indiana

I have the engine (D501-1025) and the trunk emblem, and want to sell them, I just didnt know the value of the parts. Thanks, Mike

18. 6deuce32yblock

6deuce32yblock

had that engine in the 2 four barrel version and weak 3 spd trans out of a burnt 57 d501 dodge. put it in my 56 plymouth savoy,2nd and 3rd gear only in trans. 50 on for a mile, 100 on for 2 miles,starliners, chevrolets, fords, you name it couldn't touch it. love to have both again........

19. Just put it on ebay and let the auction run. The people that want those parts will see it and you will get whatever the market price is. You could put a reserve that is reasonable to protect your money, but if you want to sell, make it low enough for it to be met. Sell it and be happy with your money.