Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Gasser Finals Race at Greer Dragway!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevydeucewagon, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AHotRod

AHotRod

I'm curious to know what "The Other Group" is going to do or allow that is so different than what Quain and the guys are doing now?

2. It only seems to bother you! :mad:it's just a word.

You've repeated yourself over and over,,enough already!HRP

[​IMG]

3. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

It would be hard to argue that allowing automatics (assuming that's the issue) would make for a better show than having all clutch cars. This is about entertainment, right?

Loosening up the standards (diluting the brand) is a slippery slope and doesn't help anybody in the long run.

On the other hand if you have an auto and can't or won't change, you gotta race somewhere. If its done riding on the reputation of others, well that doesn't seem right.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  4. As I stated on another thread a bit ago, Quain is not imposing his rules on me, I am imposing his rules on me. I have a choice just like anyone else, conform to his/groups rules and race with them, or don't conform, and race with some other group, (and there are a LOT of other groups who allow lots of liberty). Personally, I don't mind racing against automatics, it extra fun putting them on the trailer! I also would personaly like to see clutch turbos/ clutchflights allowed as you get the same starting line BANZAI start, and it would allow Ram and McLeod some added sales. The original Panneton Christensen & Jones B/G '56 was raced with the original control arm suspension starting in 1962,(it was taken apart in late '67-early '68 for a straight axle conversion), which was completed, but the car was sold, and a '68 Camaro was built instead, sooo, I personaly wouldn't have anything against STOCK control arm front ends either. However its not my ball park, and I don't want to take on all the work/resposibilty that a series like this requires. Our car has a straight axle, and 4 speed and we CHOOSE to travel across country next year, and race with "The Moon Lighter Gang"

5. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

"If its done riding on the reputation of others, well that doesn't seem right."

But the reality is all these nostalgia type events are promoted on the reputation of the real gasser wars. And I wouldn't think any one person or group would have exclusive rights to that.

6. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I'd personally rather see all 4-speeds, but I can see how they may have to make an exception for folks with knee replacements and other ailments to run autos.:D

7. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Is it even the auto / manual issue that is driving the split? Or is there more to it?

8. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I am not a racer but a fan. Hear me out on this. If a new series starts up then it will split up the fan base like it or not. Most will not be able to attend all the events. Some will go to the ones closer to them,or some will follow their favorites. Since this series clearly is not about making money,why not reach an agreement on the transmission issues. I say this on the grounds of a racer who may not be able to shift any longer. Let them race. This series is likely to attract new racers because of the old rules being enforced. This form of racing is attractive because it can be affordable and may bring in new guys. The post earlier showed the rules for the era. Automatics were not banned. Start a new class or start a rivalry between the auto or straight drives. In the end "we the fans" are the ones that suffer. Racers will continue to race.

9. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

^^^^had Gene not been able to shift gears, I would have missed out on seeing one of the coolest things ever....think about it,that's all......

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

You are aware that Gene's car is a automatic transmission....

11. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

^^^^ with that said Will the car not be able to run????

12. When Quain was setting the frame up he re-installed a clutch pedal and everything that is needed to switch over if Gene decides to do so.

Genes surgery was on his right knee. HRP

13. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I hope for the best in this matter,both for the racers and the fans.

14. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

NO rules runined the AA/GS cars on the West coast in the early 90s!! My car and Tom Willford's were about the only one's that stuck to the original plan. pretty soon the rest of them were just SLOW Pro Mods!! Stick to your guns on the rules Quain !!! Chris

15. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had hopes of having my car done and figured out in time to go to the Greer meet next year. Looks to be a really nice event. I live in Maryland and my brother and his family live in Columbia SC. Looking at it as being a family get together. However my car is a pushbutton automatic. I have taken a lot of time to make it as period correct as I can. Sad, because I don't plan to change it for one race. I do have an idea though. Why not use this somewhat to your advantage? Have two classes one stick, one auto. And at the end of the day, have a run off of the two class winners. Promote it like the old gasser wars of the day. More cars, more people, better show?

16. Come on out to Paradise in Calhoun on the 7th. BB puts on a great show. Anyone can run what ya brung. Clear your head! Go race!

17. 66L-79

66L-79

Rules are rules you learn that you can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time, this is true in everything we do in life. No different than the HAMB website they have rules you either follow those rules or go else where. I am a spectator not a racer but if you ask people what is a gasser, the biggest percentage will say that is the old cars with the straight axles that set up in the front not taking away from the cars that did or do not have straight axles just the first image that comes to mind in (gasser) I went to another local track a couple a months ago to what was supposed to be a gasser race there was one 55 chevy there that had a straight axle the rest of the cars were basically bracket race cars with nostalgia bodies 3" off the ground NOT intertaining at all, NO wheel stands, NO gear jamming, no one all over the track trying to drive the cars. I stayed at this event maybe 45 mintues.

18. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Need more details. Any links?

19. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

All you have to do is watch the White Trash Anglia run in person and you will see why the stick cars are so fun to watch. That little car never does the same thing twice. If it had an auto it would be way more predictable.

I know two guys who traveled 14 hours to watch these guys run and were super impressed.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 18-20 2014

20. 66L-79

66L-79

That is a fact no matter who is holding the steering wheel that little car is a hand full for anyone. Just ask Quain

21. AHotRod

AHotRod

Send the RPM to the Sky and Drop-the-Hammer!

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SRYUk7wecZw" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I like it the way Quain runs it and if a FNG who joined HAMB about 2 months ago and has 14 posts wants to run something different, then he needs to go do it, not trash talk here.

23. AHotRod

AHotRod

Go Donovan Go !

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/P3E_xtyVF1E" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

24. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

Being one of the guys who traveled 14 hours for a weekend of vintage gasser racing I am personally saddened to hear this news. That show was so unbelievable to be at, that we promised we would be back next year with a car or two and hopefully more people from up our way. That being said, Quain we are still coming to Greer for the race next year! Any car that has to be shifted compared to your automatic makes the race that much more interesting. Sure rules are rules, but if you start bending rules for one guy it just opens the door for more rules to be bent. That's just my. 02 take it or leave it.

All those cars really did put on a great show!

25. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Let's not get too carried away, shall we? Quain didn't "bring this style of racing back from the dead."
    I'm not taking anything away from the Carolina boys, but I think the Geezer Gassers, East Coast Gassers and a couple other gasser groups, and the guys who put on the York Reunion, Thompson Gasser Reunion, the Meltdown Drags and several others have done a HELL of a lot to bring this style of racing back, and they've been at it a lot longer.

I'm not knocking the guys from South Carolina by any means--I love their cars and I love watching them run. On a personal level, they're good guys too.

But I like watching ALL old-style gassers run.
    And it doesn't bother me one iota if a '40 Willys or a '55 Chevy with the right paint job and right stance has a small block Chevy with aluminum heads and an auto trans while it's pulling the wheels three feet into the air.
    I understand what Quain and his group were going for. But apparently, someone else in his group decided they want some more inclusion--Maybe like auto transmissions and affordable/repairable aluminum heads.
    I know of several ORIGINAL gassers in the country, with real history--significant history--running small block Chevys and aluminum heads to keep them affordable, and repairable.
    But they wouldn't be able to run in Quain's group.

I was told my Widow Wagon can't run in their group because it has tall coil springs and stock control arms instead of a tube axle up front, and it has late '60s Mopar Leaf Link style rear suspension. I was told I should gut the leaf link and install ladder bars. Well, whatever.

There's also a tunnel ram under the Two Lane Blacktop hood scoop that may or may not be verboten... we didn't get that far.

Strictly going by the rules of his group, striving for true period-correctness, there's two cars that probably shouldn't be running in their group.

I don't see a split as a bad thing--the ONLY reason I see it as being a potential problem, or "diluting races" is if one group absolutely refuses to run in the same class or at the same time as another group at an event, over something like "We don't want our cars' pictures taken with those other cars."

Then it will be a problem.
    But otherwise, having two or more different gasser groups and a bunch of "lone wolf" owners show up at a particular show, isn't going to detract from anything so long as the event promoter has some screening and puts "gassers" in the "gasser" class. No nitrous, nose high (or not, if it's an original car--they didn't all have the spindle below the rocker!), the right style paint job, no round blowers, turbos or nitrous, no aero, etc. etc.
    Mandating transmissions, iron heads and rocker panel/spindle heights isn't really productive as far as putting on a good show.
    At least in my opinion.
    And, apparently, the opinion of at least one other person in his group.

-Brad

26. I guess I got over zealous about bringing it back from the dead,,but For the South Carolina boys it's been one heck of a show.

I've heard all my life if it ain't broke don't fix it! HRP

27. You got that right Dave! HRP

28. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

That's funny brad54 shows how much you know about our rules. Aluminium heads are legal just must be painted unless they are originally produced from the 60s. As for the rules you post we all know how well you enforce them.

29. Pudge87

Pudge87

I know exactly why Quain uses the no a/t rule. It completely takes out the reason why we attend these gasser events in the first place. EXCITEMENT. As soon as you allow the automatic, you will be right back into the same boat drag racing is in right now...slot car racing. Its amazing to see the 4 speed not only pick them up off the line, but when shifting to 2nd and sometimes 3rd. If the auto is allowed, you will then see the powerglide and that's boring as hell.

Stick with your guns Quain and stay firm on the rules. If there was something wrong with them, Greer Dragway would have been a ghost town last Saturday. You know as much as I do, a rule change here and a rule change there, and you have a completely different class.

30. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I've admitted there were some mistakes made at tech for my first event, and a couple cars got classed in Gasser that shouldn't have. You and your group got a sincere apology, and everyone got their entry fee back. I also offered to give you purse money when you all pulled out of the class so your cars wouldn't be seen in pictures next to cars that weren't "correct," since it was my mistake, but the offer was declined. I really don't know what else I can do for you on that score, so I suggest you get over it. If you want to keep bringing it up, we can go down that path, but at that point it's gonna be personal.

I thought I read a thread earlier from you about aluminum heads... I've been looking all over to find your group's rules, but haven't been able to locate them. I'd love to see them, though.

I also remember a conversation with you early on not liking my rules because "any rear suspension can be run." That's when you told me how "pure" your group is and I'd have to get rid of the leaf-link in my '57 wagon if I ran with you, because that's not how they ran them back then... hell, you told me you go so far as to grind the tire manufacturer's name off your tires, which caused you some problems because your pro car is sponsored by them... but in looking at your own Executioner Willys build, you've got a fully fabricated box tubing chassis and a Jericho 4-speed with a vertical-gate shifter. Did they run 'em like that back then?

Like I said, I'm not knocking your group--I love your cars, and I love watching them run.
    I simply said another group with a little more inclusion isn't going to be bad for the events around here.
    Unless someone throws a snit because they don't want their car photographed with a car running an auto trans, a leaf link rear suspension, or a fabricated chassis.

-Brad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.