Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. barnbikes

barnbikes
    from MN

Hey paperdog sorry I missed the party. Took my wife and kids to the beach one more time before winter sets in and it gets cold around here.

2. brad2v

brad2v

Sorry to ask this a little after the fact. A question regarding the aluminum welding rod. Zinc? Isn't it poisonous when heated, I was always told to not weld galvanized metal due to the zinc. And the pizza oven idea is brilliant.

3. yonahrr

yonahrr

Beats me. I thought you took zinc when you got a cold. Don't they have zinc supplements? Maybe it's only if you burn zinc and inhale it. Gets that nice blue green choking flame. Mmmm.

4. yonahrr

yonahrr

Those are nice lights but I've got some lights off a ship I'm going to use although I'm not sure where exactly I'm going to put them. There's a picture of the a few pages back. I'd repost the pic but it would take me 30 min. to find it and I eager to get down to my 30 degree shop!

Jerry

5. yonahrr

yonahrr

PIzza, pizza

I dragged out the old bead roller from under the drill press. I bought it about 20 years ago when I thought I'd be using it every day. I think I've used it once before today. After practicing on some scrap I drew a design (what do you call that thing?) and rolled it out. Not bad. (Pay no attention to that failure in the background. You see I took my eye off the pattern I drew. DON"T DO THAT!) I folded the edges and there was the door to my pizza oven. The kids are off from school this week but maybe I can sneak away and make the rest of the oven.

Jerry

Attached Files:

6. yonahrr

yonahrr

It's a wrap!

I couldn't find any round exhaust wrap. Besides, as I think about it, I don't think it will fit in the space I've allowed in the hood opening. So here's the choice in wraps: White, Black or Tan. What shall it be? As I see it. Black looks sexy but modern. Tan looks vintage but maybe a little like an ace bandage. White looks cool and clean but will probably get dirty quick. Any input?

Jerry

Attached Files:

7. fireplace gaskets are a woven fiberglass ... I found some at a hardware store .. also appliance maintanence men may have a door seal rope from ovens?

why is the bead out rather than in?

no one showed up....here:(
    I will throw out the crab dip if my family does not eat it all later this week .. does it need to be refridgerated or covered?

8. Hey Oscar, c'mon back over
    [​IMG]

9. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Black will conduct heat better. Black & red are good together.

10. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

Jerry,

McMaster-Carr has lots of rope seal material but if you are going to wrap the whole system it will be costly. I thought you were just going to wrap the pipe where it will try to burn you by the door. http://www.mcmaster.com/#rope-seals/=pj7quy

The white tape wrap will soon go a little dark but in a good way. The tan does look like the result of a sprain. The black will stay clean but will radiate more heat than the white - kind of like pushing & pulling at the same time??

Give the crab dip a few more days & it probably would do the job if spread on in a thin layer!

11. yonahrr

yonahrr

And there it is--all different kinds. But I can't afford those prices. I'm going to wrap it from the engine to the muffler and from the muffler up the bend to the straight-a-way. I think the pipe's a little close to the bodywork in those places. I guess black is it. I tried 2" and it was a little hard to wrap. I was thinking about 1". Is there a trick? Do you wet the stuff?

Jerry

12. LaSalle Gearbox

LaSalle Gearbox
    from ohio

I think you have to pee on it.

13. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

Jerry,

WEAR LATEX GLOVES! Soak the roll in water for about 10 minutes, wrap it a tight as you can, overlap about 1/2 the width - a little more on the bends, tie the ends with fine wire.. 2" wrap is easier to work with.

There is a good video on wrapping motorcycle pipes - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQRcvjmGoaA

14. JIMSPSYCLESHOP

JIMSPSYCLESHOP

YOUR BEAD ROLLER
    I built a motorized, foot-pedal version from that same basic bead roller you have. Judging by the rust, I use mine a little more often but rusty or polished, they get the job done.
    Jimmy

Attached Files:

15. yonahrr

yonahrr

I like what you've done. It's real hard to turn that crank and guide your work at the same time. I was going to build a large hand wheel. Where did you get the motor and foot control?

Jerry

16. yonahrr

yonahrr

Hold the pepperoni!

I sneaked away for a few hours and bent up the front and bottom to the pizza oven. My door's a little small but so-be-it I ain't makin another one. It'll have to be pizza by the slice. I'm looking for a small antique oven temp gauge to go in the door. I saw one on an old camp oven. There's an NOS one on ebay but I ain't paying $45.00 for a tiny little thing like that.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/261335276496?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Jerry

Attached Files:

17. JIMSPSYCLESHOP

JIMSPSYCLESHOP

Jerry,
    All three items came from Harbor Freight and I used the ole' 20% off coupons making for an inexpensive 'power roller'. Even the stand was their el cheapo grinder stand. Actually the old general purpose electric motor had a centrifugal start up clutch that wasn't working too well for the very slow speeds needed so I bought a very 'torguey' HF drill and used that. Combined with a HF speed controller and foot pedal it works like a charm. Attached is a photo of the power drill upgrade.

It beats having to keep calling my wife out to the workshop to have her turn my crank (double entendre)? The cooling fan (from an old AMPEX reel-to-reel tape machine) seen in the photo is not necessary. Originally, I was worried about the previous high speed electric motor overheating forced to run at such low rpm (the drill never gets hot).

Attached Files:

18. When I wrapped my pipes, I soaked the wrap in water and pulled it really tight. When it dries, it shrinks a bit and looks really nice. You can paint it with high temp paint, if it gets too dirty.

Doug

19. ThomasT

ThomasT

The painted chassis and engine block look great!

20. yonahrr

yonahrr

Happy Thanksgiving!

Wait, that was yesterday? Oh. Man, I've been so busy I forgot. Actually we had turkey day on Wednesday to avoid conflicts with other inlaws. I also had to get a unit ready at the Yonah Train Station. Check them out at: http://www.jumpingoatcoffeeroasters.com Ask about their Goat Nuts--delish! Good News! The steering wheel is ready! Shipped out! I should be getting it this week. Very Cool! Hope to get back on the pizza oven tomorrow.

Jerry

21. yonahrr

yonahrr

Thanks Thomas T. Welcome to our little group.

Jerry

22. JIMSPSYCLESHOP

JIMSPSYCLESHOP

Jerry, Happy Turkey,
    Just ordered a pound of 'Ethiopian Sidamo' from your JumpinGoatroasters compadres.
    Let you know what I think after I get to brew a pot.

P.S. Just to prove us old farts can continue to learn new tricks, just before the holiday, I took second place in a state auto body painting competition. Considering I've never painted professionally in my 63 years, I was pretty surprised to place at all let alone beat out a gaggle of 20/20 visioned, steady handed young people.
    Jimmy

23. yonahrr

yonahrr

Hey, now that's impressive. Was it like one of those Japanese game shows where you have to paint a car between huge swinging sledge hammers then fall into a mud bog if you lose? Seriously, you get a H.A.M.B. cheer! Downside--all your buddies will be wanting paint jobs.

Jerry

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  24. ThomasT

ThomasT

G'day you'll , yes welding galvanized metal does produce a poisonous gas/vapor so make sure not to breath it to be safe

25. yonahrr

yonahrr

Just checked out your website

http://www.jimscycleshop.com/

Nice! Lots of cool bike stuff. Maybe even be something for my '67 Honda CL77. BTW, it's needing a paint job could I send you the tank and fenders and...

Jerry

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  26. JIMSPSYCLESHOP

JIMSPSYCLESHOP

Jerry,
    Jimscycleshop.com is not me! Didn't even know that I had a 'doppelganger' address. I use 'jimspsycleshop' as my moniker (currently no website). I do have some vintage German & Brit bikes but it's not a business (and they ain't choppers).

Nope, all contestants had to use the same front clip of a Chevy S-10 pickup (2 fenders & hood actually) . Pearl metallic-gold BRG with 5 clear coats is not something that I'd want to see on my Speedster but they liked it.

I should give some credit to the local college that allowed me to use a new 80K spray booth, $700.00 Iwata spray gun and all PPG paint products. If I do a paint job in my own work shop; I just become another mortal with a crappy compressor, window fans, furnace filters and ersatz plastic sheet spray booth complete with those tiny black gnats that always show up for a paint job.

Attached Files:

27. yonahrr

yonahrr

What!? I gave a plug to a non H.A.M.B. guy? The nerve of that guy stealing your handle! I take back my plug. Nice paint job though. Hey, my steering wheel arrived! I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Jerry

28. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Black. Apply soaking wet, stretching the heck out of it. Secure the ends with a couple of turns of safety wire - you can hide the twisty behind - the safety wire mostly disappears into the wrap and looks better than a hose clamp. Start the motor and let the water boil off, shrinking the wrap in place. Then hit is with a dusting of spray header paint to seal the fuzz and protect from fraying.

The tan might work also - can you find tan or clear header paint?

I would stay away from the white because it will always look funky no matter how hard you try.

29. yonahrr

yonahrr

Big wheel keep on turning.

Did I say big? I meant HUMONGUS!

Jerry

Attached Files:

30. yonahrr

yonahrr

I'm thinking oil finish. Boiled linseed or Tru-oil? Someone suggested tung oil. Any ideas?

Jerry