Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Doing Falcons Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jul 23, 2008.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have the stock steering column wiring, you should find a green wire coming out of the column tube. That wire goes into the column tube, & supplies power to the turn signal switch, which runs both the turn signals and brake lights. Power is delivered to that wire via the brake light switch. On a stock early round body Falcon, power is delivered to hydraulic brake pressure switch on the master cylinder, and when switched delivered back to that green wire. In order to retrofit on a stock early Falcon, you simply disconnect the existing hydraulic switch, connect those leads together, which turns the brake lights on, and then cut the green wire at the column, which turns to brake lights off, and splice in the new switch there. With an aftermarket harness you simply need to provide 12 volt constant power to one side of the brake light switch, and hook that green wire to the other side of the switch. Provided that you have properly wired the stop / tail lights, from the switch in the column, you should be good to go. If you don't have a wiring diagram let me know, I will try to scan that section and post it.

2. 63comet

63comet

My Bonnie used a brake light switch that you pulled to close. Had one side mounted to the frame, the other to the rear brake lever by a long spring.

Seems that sort of switch would be much easier to install that something requiring a push rod.

3. Well, Presented the '60 For it's Modified Vehicle Certification today . Passed with no problems so the next step is to present it for Compliance , hand over another pile of Cash and then it will be all road legal . :D

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Why not just take the two wires from the hydraulic switch and route them to the new mechanical switch? Wouldn't that be simpler with less cutting and splicing?

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The wires for the hydraulic switch are outside the passenger compartment, past the firewall, on the other side of a bulkhead connector. The wires for the new switch are all or near the column, near the brake pedal pivot, inside the passenger compartment.

6. Well, we completed the body work, and put it in base coat for now. I want to run it on the Road Course a little before final paint in case of any potential rubbing issues.
    [​IMG]

7. Wow! I like the rear valance/faux bumper treatment!

8. Evilfalcon1961

Evilfalcon1961
    from Ma

damn I usually don't like radius rear fenders but that looks sharp carrying that line in to the bumper!

9. Evilfalcon1961

Evilfalcon1961
    from Ma

10. Thanks- although there is no bumper. We basically made a roll pan/valance out of the rear and eliminated the bumper all together

11. Evilfalcon1961

Evilfalcon1961
    from Ma

12. ditchdigger

ditchdigger
    from Eugene,OR

So many awesome Falcons in this thread.

This is my crew cab 63.

[​IMG]

<a href="http://s459.photobucket.com/user/ditch_digger/media/falcon/20130314_175840_zpse8f581a2.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

[​IMG]

Totally stock except a narrowed explorer 8.8, Granada front end and some coilovers up front. Still 170 and a column three.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  13. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

Hey guys. I picked up a 62 falcon wagon and the 3 speed has taken a dump on me. I'm going to do the c4 swap in it this weekend but need to find a yoke. Is it safe to use the t5 yoke even though it's shorter than the one for a c4? My local junk yards destroyed all old cars because of scrap metal prices.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

that roll pan came out AWESOME!! Ditchdigger, that is a sweet 4 door.

15. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

Playin with some caps....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files:

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey JohnnyG,

I'm sorry I didn't get to your P.M. last night. I have never done this deal, so I really don't know how to answer this for you other than C/4 yokes are so common that I would look for just that. You have to have a driveshaft shop or parts wholesaler somewhere fairly close that can get you one very quickly, or a trans shop that has one laying under the bench somewhere about.

17. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I bought a C4 yoke from Falcon Enterprises a while back. I put it in a T86/R10, but it worked out just fine since the spline count and diameter matched.

18. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Love your new wagon.

19. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

What bumper do you have on the front of your hardtop? Camaro or Plymouth?? Thanks!

20. nickleone

nickleone

My 68 Firebird had a switch for the brakes like this:
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=44668&cc=1034637
    The tip pressed against the brake pedal high up by the pivot.
    A bracket held it there with two nuts to adjust the contact.
    When you stepped on the pedal the the tip lost physical contact and made electrical contact to have the brake lights come on.
    Less than $4.00 at Rock Auto.

Nick

21. Evilfalcon1961

Evilfalcon1961
    from Ma

Playing around with a 63 valiant bumper with stock bumper brackets and making a front valence

22. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Thanks. I've been staring at mine wondering what Ford was thinking cuz a blade bumper like that seems so obvious. I do like the mercury bumpers, too, but I think you're on the best path.

23. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Looking forward to see where you go with that bumper! :)

24. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Got the engine bay cleaned up!

25. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Pic didn't post... try again

Attached Files:

26. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

"crew cab", that's funny, I like that. I have always used the term "more door"

I like you ride too. That's a "crew cab" I wouldn't mind drivin'.

I loved the Mustang wheels the first day I saw one and I am glad to see people runnin' them on the early birds.

27. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

I would have never thought of using those wheels, but I got to admit they do look great! They should be very easy to come by as well

28. On my Ranchero I dechromed the hood trim piece and opened it up for a ram air effect. With it painted the same as the body it does not stick out like a sore thumb.

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Freakin' cool as hell! I have always liked those wheels and though they would look great on a Falcon... They do! I believe they are 16X7, but what is the back space? How about tire sizes?