Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects anybody taken a rat rod and turned it into a real hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hurley50, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Anybody taken a rat rod and made it into a real hot rod?? I think it can be done, it would be a challenge.... It's another way to save old cars. I've seen a bunch that could be cool with a traditional eye.

Post before and after pictures if you have.

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Some are salvageable, but most I see are so far gone it would take completely starting from scratch to save them. In those cases the selling price is usually high enough I don't care to pay it and then throw 75% of it away.

3. like 1971 said it all depends on $ i've seen some that are really well done and wouldn't take much to turn them into a nice rod and others that are unsafe to drive off a trailer and are a waste of good parts.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Do you have your eye on a certain one, Matt? Like had been mentioned, I think it all depends on the car. Some of them are too far gone to bother with, some are very savable!

Malcolm

5. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Good points guys. I don't have any plans to do this, just curious if anyone has. It would be smarter to take something that hasn't been messed much like I did with my roadster.

6. AndersF

AndersF

7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

8. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

9. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

I bought a 36 five window coupe with original paint and patina rust that was advertised as a rat rod but there were no pics so it didn't get many lookers.
    After talking with the the owner and I decided it was worth the time to check it out.
    It was a little rusty ,like most, but the hand of the rat had not touched it yet and it already had 40 brakes so it will definitely live as a traditional rod someday.

10. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Well around here I wouldnt call alot of "rat rods" "rat rods". I would call them projects... But I know about the chopped up pos's that come along... Any old car in flat black or with patina is at risk of being called a RR by people.

11. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

very cool!

12. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

My car, because it is satin black, has been called by some (by a non-hamber of course!!) a RR, I quickly say it's a hot rod....

13. captmullette

captmullette

took my 31 tudor sedan to the Atlanta 10,000, the announcer called it a rat rod roadster in the first round and a 31 ford coupe in the second round..........im in therapy now, should be out soon.....

14. ssimpala

ssimpala

I'm rebuilding one now. It was built back in the late fifties before the term "rat" was applied, but still, by today's standards it's still pretty shoddy workmanship and would be considered a "rat" by most.

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

El Polacko's effort was a real tour de force, starting with a freshly built POS that was dangerously undriveable and building a chassis for it that was not just functional but highly creative in engineering, build, and materials. He also corrected a LOT of scary workmanship in the body, but I think had to keep the overall bad proportions and stance favored by RR owners...some ratrodders are apparently willing to accept a car that is not aggressively lethal, but they insist on their UGLY!!
    Someday, there will be traditional ratrodders restoring classique authentic period Ratrods, just like in the 00's, Bro.
    They will torch out El Polacko's craftsmanship, collect antique coathangers for authentic welding rod, and build an authentic random-arc suspension system from broken Harbor freight tool handles...

16. mine was scheduled to become a rat....
    [​IMG]

now
    [​IMG]

17. I did it. Its my avatar. While its not traditional, its now more hot rod, but being on a late model chassis, and having an independant front end, i call it the Dogrod. To nice to be a rr, and not nice enough to be a trad hot rod. :)

18. Grabber28

Grabber28
    from Charlotte

I did/am doing that with my 28" Coupe....I was STUPID and love the car too much to stop now but there are SOOO many things I would not do again if given the chance. God forbid I am ever forced to sell it...Bath Time...!! But she is a labor of love and I enjoy driving her and the work...Live and learn..

19. Guys, a lot of '40s and '50s hot rods did not look any better than some of todays rat rods. A LOT of what you folks call Traditional hot rods we would have called customs.

Just saying.

Ben

20. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Perfect, love what you did!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Nice!

22. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Badfun how about some more pics.....

23. thanks!

24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

There are rats, theme cars, art cars, and wanna be's. Some rats are very nice, safely built cars, just the builder has no desire for paint or chrome. They are built in rebellion against the billet crowd and the perfectionist. Theme cars and art cars can get goofy, using wrenches and rebar and questionable building techniques. The wanna be's, well, some people need both thumbs cut off so they can't hold tools.......:D

25. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

ya I agree

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Man, I think I walked around your car for 30 minutes at "Burn Out". GREAT ride.

27. Well thanks man! Finally finished interior. See ya at the sat breakfast

28. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Most of the rat rods arond here are total junk. The builders have went out of their way to build a real S____ car, and they would take more work to redo than just start out and build one right