Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are there any magazines left for people like us?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rpu28, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Well at least you can write.....wait but you won't be able to read this reply ahhh nevermind.

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

The HAMB and The Rodders Journal, plus all the old pre 1965 Magazines in my collection, that is all I need. Bob

3. autobilly

autobilly

4. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I have been reading "Hot Rod" mags since 1960 and find that I am bored with the crap they print. I would rather look at a home built car that is 10% as nice as the pro cars they feature. The mags exist only to sell adds and promote advertisers products. What ever your interests are cars, guns, boats or whatever mag writers are only shills for their advertisers.

5. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Rodders journal.

6. 59 brook

59 brook

thats why there are no traditional style mags . everyone goes to the net

7. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

is Hop Up still around??

8. wsdad

wsdad

I had 3 magazine subscriptions and would also buy off the rack if something caught my interest. Then I found the HAMB. I haven't subscribed to anything in years.

9. Make an effort to find them. Mag-neto. Rolls & Pleats. Kustoms Illustrated.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Better read them while you can. One day, they'll ALL be gone. In the mean time, if you can come up with a magazine that makes money with no ads and catering to .5% of the population, go for it.

11. slammed

slammed

YES! Use the old. old rags for references BUT we live today. The good magazines TODAY are out there. CHURCH. HAMBER ZOMBIE puts out a fine one. Just the other day, a thread announcing a NEW magazine was closed because of some pee stained grump-pees (!) did not like a format showing women w/tattoos.

12. The only car mag subscription I still have is Auto Restorer. The name doesn't quite say it all, as non-restored cars show up (they did a chop on a 46 Ford coupe a few years ago, and there's a guy going to do a V8-60 into a 50s MG) and they cover more than just cars; old trucks, some sports cars, older imports, pretty much anything over about 30 years old. It's very much DIY oriented too; very little of the 'we got this part from so-and-so, so much easier than fixing old junk' attitude.

And did I mention there's NO ADVERTISING?

13. metalman

metalman

I rairly buy magazines anymore, it's always been mostly about the tech articals to me and nowdays the tech articals suck imho. That said I find todays tech articals relevent to the hobby today. Why would there be a tech artical on adapting a junk yard part when 90% of the readers would rather read on how to install their new shiny store bought parts? Face it, the majority 1 800 their hot rod parts nowdays, those of us still building with old stuff are getting few.
    I'm with Bruce. A while back I bought 4 years of Car Craft (62 thru 64) all in binders for a 20 dollar bill. Hours of good reading AND tech articals still relevent to my build style. Go to the stand and buy $20 worth of mags and I'd be thru them in less then an hour.

14. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

Thanks all for the TRJ shout-out. I can tell you factually that several stories in TRJ have taken me over a year to research, like the Mighty Ardun story, or the Tom Thickstun/Tattersfield/Baron stories. or a more recent story on the history of the Vertex magneto. Try finding photos of a factory in Switzerland that ceased production 40 years ago. Or the original blueprints for Kinmont brakes or the Italmeccanica blower. I certainly hope at an average of 12 pages and some over 5,000 words, that they take longer than 10 minutes to read.

15. luke13

luke13

what he said, but down under we have one percent magazine and chopped.

16. scrubba

scrubba

Two magazines come to mind, Gasoline , ( Swedish publication ) and Still Runnin.com

scrubba

17. XWYNNSGUY

XWYNNSGUY

I'm fortunate to have a pretty good rag store not to far away. So I get to thumb through them all, if a tradition style car or truck catches my eye I buy it. As far as how to and tech. It's all right here, this is the greatest hot rod sight on the planet!!!!!!!!!! OK now, who has a good used 31.5" reversed eye chrome spring they want to give up????? Thx, T

18. Unfortunately no.

19. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I used to think the old mags were expensive...now the new ones have shot right past them in price, except for very earl stuff, maybe pre-1953. They are now cheap reading and still pretty easy to find, though the early '50's are rapidly disappearing from the easy to find sites.
    RJ is an EXCELLENT magazine. I wish they would add a true tech section. Imagine a carefully researched (both in old magazines and via interviewing old-timers) and detailed article focusing on something like different trad routes to A-V8's, Ansen vs Ford brake conversions, ignitions, etc.
    What if the took "A Technical History of the Racing Flathead" and expanded on it...
    What if they got Bingelli to explain how the %$$ his gasser was a second faster than it should have been...or downloaded some of the tech that is always briefly mentioned in interviews of people like Garlits.
    Hey...what if they just got rights to reprint the tech-heavy pre-1961 Hot Rod Mag annuals and books, or the big circa 1960 big books from trend/petersen like "how to build a hot rod" or "clutches and transmissions", or simply Reprinted Don Francisco's flathead rebuild...those would be revelations for the poor folks who don't have originals...
    Too few late-model people have access to the best of the past, and the old timers are disappearing.

20. alchemy

alchemy

Jay, you should start your own magazine. One issue per year. Nothin but quality and the stuff I love. I'd be your first subscriber!

21. johnny two tone

johnny two tone
    from nj

22. yblock292

yblock292

Car Kulture Delux issue #61 mainly cause my 51 shoebox is in it! First time i've have one of my cars featured.............kinda kool!

23. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

The HAMB,R&C, and TRJ. Oh yeah and old copies of R&C when I can find them at the swap meets. Tech articles in TRJ-I like that idea they could do it rite...............

24. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Gasoline is a good one. It's now being published for the U.S. market...

GASOLINE MAGAZINE U.S.

25. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

X 2 here!

26. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

TRJ & R&C. But the H.A.M.B. gives me my real fix in real time. R&C seems lacking since Freidburg got the big chair. Still a decent rag tho. TRJ is an entity unto itself. But the H.A.M.B has it first, nearly everytime if not before. Good job & thanks to all who contribute.

27. wizzard23

wizzard23

Oh yeah, congrats Jack. For some reason that's my current favorite too!

28. yblock292

yblock292

Thanks Harry!

29. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

I spend the money in the workshop, not at the newsstand.

30. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

There's plenty of tattoo magazines that cater to the circus sideshow enthusiast.

I'm interested in hot rods, not pseudo pinup freak girls.

And being into traditional hot rods is not exactly "living today".

It's more like "longing for yesterday".