Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. While at work today I met a guy named Manuel Gonzales who drive this 426 dodge savoy sponsored by Berry Doge out of Oxnard Ca. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1384995192.449587.jpg
    He used to race with a friend of his in this comet, 289 motor built built by Kenny Dutweiller in 1965. With a 4 speed it ran high 11s!!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1384995295.647876.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. powrshftr

powrshftr

Now there is one lucky dude!
    I'd crawl through a mile of broken glass for either one of those cars...!

3. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;I do not remember either of those cars!!Way too many years and brain cells have faded away since then!!! Must have been Kenny Senior that did the engines back then!!Did you get my e-mail on the pinion spacer? ROY.

4. 65afxcomet

65afxcomet

Dave , I would love to put correct 65 vintage med riser 427 in car but what kinda $ are we lookin at ? This 391 is the cheaper way to go . I also have stroker pistons and lemans rods and edelbrock alum heads . Any of this worth putting together ??
    Hamps

5. jorlando

jorlando
    from New York

"Go where the action is" Is my uncle Joe Orlando fro Lancaster, NY how can I get a copy of this photo??

6. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Dale,the new rocket wheels look excellent!

Attached Files:

7. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

I didnt realize this one had been restored and getting ready to hit the show circut. I need to pay more attention.

Looks great

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  8. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;do you know if it is the real deal? It looks great,I like the scene,a T-Bolt and a Comet staged to race!!!! ROY.

9. 65COMET

65COMET

Is this thread working? Saturday,November 23,2013,2:23 PM PST. ROY.

10. SOHC427

SOHC427

It is for me, Roy..... Put down the beer.... or shine! Eric

11. 65COMET

65COMET

Eric;not sure what happened!! My computer freak buddy built me a new computer,when I logged on here it went to a different format or something,obviously I finally figured it out!!! ROY.

12. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

Sometimes mine does the same thing!?!?!?

13. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

Can someone post a pic of an 65 FX fiberglass front bumper/stone guard ???

14. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Roy,did your buddy build it with 2 pedals? My puter has 3 pedals:D!

15. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

The front bumper/stone guard is Differant on 65 AFX stone guard is differant then what's on a 65 BFX stone guard. I myself have never seen a "repop" front 65 AFX or BFX front bumper/stone guard
    The front AFX/BFX twin scoop hood with the radiator support relieve on the underside of the hood came from my 65 BFX Comet. ~~~AFX DAVE~~~

16. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

AFX DAVE:
    I wanted to see one so I can maybe make my own, I have a Crites bumper I want to lay a peace of fiberglass across the top of it...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  17. 65COMET

65COMET

SIX GUN;I pimped Crites to repop the bumper/splash apron,NO luck,I would like to have one on my Comet!!! Myron; no "PEDALS" on my Electronic Frustration Device,that is probably why I have problems with it!!! ROY.

18. Muttley

Muttley

Calmly lay a ball peen hammer on your desk in front of the monitor and tell it to behave. ;) :D

19. checkedgoldtop

checkedgoldtop

There used to be an original B/FX 65 comet in the Mansfield, OH area. Last time I saw it was 1999. It was black, had a sedan title, dead solid but cut up front half. Dad tracked it from the late 60's. Send me pictures if you think/know you have it. I'd like to know where it went.

20. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

The first thing are you racing this or restoring the 65 AFX Comet. Most people can't tell a Med Riser from a Low Riser! First get a 427 Block that can be used. Use the parts you have to put it together. Get a tunnel weigh intake from Chris. To build a good Medium Riser W/SK heads, Lemans Crank, Rods, Steel Flywheel and a 427 Balancer. From looking at the hood you had two fours. You would be close to $10,000 in that engine. Don't forget the drive train, when using a spool NHRA wants after market axles. And don't forget a good chrome moley Rollcage. Good Luck~~~AFX DAVE~~~

21. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

ROY:
    I see you painted your stone guard to look like a FX one-peace bumper/stone guard set-up...

[​IMG]

22. 65COMET

65COMET

SIX GUN;YES,I painted it when I painted the bumper.It was black for years,thought it would look better silver,I left the black from the lip on back! I tried to get Crites interested in repopping the one piece bumper/splash apron,no dice!! Are you done racing for the season?I may go to MOONEYES Show on December 7th,I've paid,just not sure yet,went a few years ago,said I would not go back! ROY.

23. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

ROY:
    Yes I'm done for this year, now I wait for 6 months to try again...
    I think I'm going to try to make my own stone guard for my bumper...
    What about the fiberglass headlight surrounds???

24. 65COMET

65COMET

They made the headlight extensions back then,I do not think anyone has made a repops!! I think the stone guard could be made by pulling a mold from a steel one and glassing it and a bumper together. ROY.

25. Cshabang

Cshabang

I love this look. My father ran it on his wagon. All the talk of making parts makes me want to hurry up and start back on my hood.

26. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Gratuitous Comet plugging! I will seize any opportunity to educate our younger generations on the fine attributes of vintage chrome and aluminum! Quote from one young model: "Its sooo old. How can it be faster than my Kia???" Me: ""Sweetie, can you count from four cylinders to eight cylinders??"" HA !! All joking aside, a good friend and I had FOURTEEN models in a 12 hour day, around our cars, and I think the cars were VERY happy!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. 65afxcomet

65afxcomet

When does the calender come out ??
    Probably sell at least 1 or 2 on here :)
    Hamps

28. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;I guess hanging out with Ernie does have some great perks!!!! So,did you race the model in her KIA[killed in action]?!!P.S.,I'd buy a calender too!!! ROY.

29. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

We had a mold done for the front bumper for the one pc taken from the original Dyno Don car,but I dont know where it ended up, seats too. Might have to make some calls.

30. dammnnnnn, nice pics Dale.

Roy, I hope you do attend mooneyes