Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A RPU Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaun1162, Oct 2, 2013.

1. The 28'-29' cabs as trucks are really tight to begin with. Had an old buddy who had one and at 6' 1" i was really cramped sitting in it. This was with stock roof and a short padded bench seat. Just what I experieneced.

2. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

Shaun, How about Ford 18 inch wheels in back and Ford 16 inch (all spoke wheels) in front? I think it might be neat!
    Dave

3. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I've been wondering about that... I've had several people tell me how small the cabs are and after looking at the chop it'd probably be real cramped.

I tried again with a full roof and a set of '35 wires (I've already got a set of those anyways) and this is what I came up with:

[​IMG]

I think it looks pretty good

4. I liked it both ways you photoshopped it, more practical with a full roof and working with what you already have for wheels saves you in the long run.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

5. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

You're right about the full roof for sure... This look is starting to grow on me (plus it would save alot of time not chopping the windshiled, etc.)

I'm working on my new garage, got the walls up and starting to get things organized. Hopefully soon I'll move my truck and actually make some progress! Hopes are to have it done by springs- which reall, it doesn't need a whole awful lot. The brakes need to be rebuilt, some body work (mostly the bed, and then when I add the rood), and wiring are the big things... The rest should fall together fairly easily.

6. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

[​IMG]Shaun ! how about a boat tail on your project ? prolly not a first but very nice ...:):cool::D

7. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Hehe not this project... Maybe some day in the future... But I think this'll be my next project:

[​IMG]

8. Another race car eh?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

9. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Yup... They're worse then regular hot rods!

It's a '53 or '54 Hudson Jet that was built to race back in the 80's on dirt... One of the weird parts is that is has a regular Ford banjo rear, it even still has the torque tube, yet it has 3/4 ton full floater axles in it. The hardest part will probably be the steering...

I'd almost rather work on the Hudson this winter instead of the A, but I don't think that'll happen..

10. Thats definitely strange setup for any division. Only thing bad about that vintage is i would imagine they require more safety stuff to make it street legal. Out here in california Model A(s) are easy to register, when i looked into doing a newer car 55' chevy ex dirt tracker they wanted alot more of the original parts to be street legal.

11. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Out here in NH things are pretty lax for requirements... They let alot of stuff slide (providing you know the right inspection station!). Fortunately this ol' Hudson still has the VIN tag in place, that's the biggest obstacle. Not sure if I could get away with no side windows or rear window though...

12. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Hudson Jet with a 308 is not a good candidate for a circling race car , too front heavy . My buddy Larry tried it and it was a complete failure . He also tried a Chrysler Hemi in a 51 Plymouth, too much weight in the front of both projects.:eek::D My 40 Hudson coupe with a Pontiac V-8 weighed in at 3300 pounds ,it was 40 pounds nose heavy of being 50/50 .
    :)Shaun, if you stick to your original plan on the APU, I'm sure you can double your money ,quickly; and finance the next project. :cool:[​IMG]Not mine but similar ,this is prolly a 41 ,note chrome atop the front fenders. Hood was cool ,opened from the cowl forward. It was a fun car I drove it daily after I put in the Pontiac V8 ,Packard top shift trany , for nine years , Then enhanced it and showed it 2 years as a show car ,then sold it.

13. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

This Jet went on quite a diet when they built it... The front is pretty well gutted out. The fenders are just shells- no inner fenders or such. I think stock they only weigh about 2,600 pounds, can't say for sure how good it did racing though (I think the class only lasted part of one season). Your definately right about keeping with the RPU- lot more demand for an A then a Hudson Jet :D

That '41 is pretty sharp looking though- I bet you miss yours eh?

14. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I think I'm finally starting to get a plan on this RPU....

Going to go pretty basic for the moment, nothing too big:

- Finish the body work needed on the cab (no windshield chop for now) and back bed
    - Paint it white
    - Black wire wheels- 7.50x17 in rear (just because I can get a pair for free), not sure on the front yet
    - Ditch the downdraft, and make my own dual updraft intake (to go with the dual exhaust!)
    - Possibly run without hoodsides, and use leather straps (ways to go on that decision!)

15. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

16. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

[​IMG]Not bad Shaun, with a little blue hue. but not an Artic/Refrigerator white, like I painted my 59 Caddy Coupe De Ville it had lots of chrome to set it off.

17. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

18. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)I knew you would not abandon it .:cool::D

19. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Just tacked together for now ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]