Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36 ford custom build (MISS SCARLET)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by kippers 34, Jul 5, 2013.

1. We aren't far behind cali EPA regs anymore either.
    I have been following his build also. I will have to look into his source. But I don't think I want acrylic lacquer. I don't want to have to redo her in a couple of years.
    Thanks for the info Eric.

paul hebert likes this.
  2. Talk to Chris at the SFSS and see where he sourced it for his Tudor.

3. Thanks Eric Ryan. I will ask him.
    Thanks.
    Thank you.
    Thanks Walt. I will definitely look into it. Even If he only has black he may know where to aquire different color's.

4. This is a left field thought, but a fellow here in Australia sourced nitro lacquer via some place that supplies the product for coating pianos. He used black and I have no idea whether there are any colour variations, but its been on his car a few years now.

Lowsquire is his screen name.

5. Did'nt accomplish much this week. 4 port riley dropped off all the jenuine USA made wheel cyl's spring kit's etc to rebuild my Lincoln brakes. Thanks Hugh. Aquired my vintage turn signal switch and a few other small parts but that's all. Next weekend I well have a couple days to get back moving again.
    Thanks everyone for all the help and support.

6. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Kip, I have a few items you might want to look through- I have a pretty cool art-deco looking side view mirror, a couple old rear view mirrors, still have quite a few gauges, etc... Feel free to come dig through some junk and you're welcome to take whatever you can find.

7. telekenfun

telekenfun

Kipp, Please accept these comments as useful to your project's decision making process.I have have been shooting lacquer for years. Mostly Dupont and and Fuller Hibuild. I was really disappointed when Dupont switched to acrylic. It was exceptionally clear but doesn't buff-up like nitrocellulose can. Fuller nitro buffs up to an excellent sheen but is not very clear(has a yellow,amberish hew). My favorite nitro cellulose lacquer these days comes from the company "Lawrence Mcfadden". It is very clear, buffs to an incredible shine and is very resistant to shrinking or checking. I think the reason is; it is shot straight from the can with NO reducer so there is less volatiles to outgas from the finish. It comes only in clear and I just add tint toners to get the color and opaqueness I want. They have a website. So if you want to use nitro I would say that they are the one to use. I think you're on to it by going for a rich deep maroon as well.
    If you decide to use a urethane my experience with them has been mixed. I don't know if Dupont, Napa, PPG, BASF have different quality grades but I have noticed that all those I've used have never really given me a pure swirl-free finish. No matter what buffing pad and swirl reducer compound I've tried there always seems to be some residual haziness. The no contest winning brand of urethane that I can enthusiastically recommend is DIAMONT by R-M. They have a top clear (DP92) that is rock hard, and absolutely swirl or haze free. I shot it in 2004 on my 54 GMC and to this day has never had to be rebuffed or waxed and still looks as good as when it was first done. It doesn't care what rag I use, it doesn't streak or scratch. The only treatment it gets is a wipe down with Meguiar's "Final Inspection" to knock the dust off when I get to the shows. I'm always asked about the paint and people are surprised to find out that it's nearly 10 years old. There may be other brands that have that good of a clear but I haven't found it yet. If we consider all the prep work that goes into a good paint job it makes sense to use a finish product that can hold up for the long term. Be sure to ask others about their experiences with the products after they have been laid down. I recommend a DP92 with a custom tint. No matter which way you go, I anxiously await to see your final color choice.
    Best Regards and Good Luck with all your endeavors, KB aka telekenfun.

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  8. the-rodster

the-rodster

That's a local car.

It sure is sweet, I have several pics if you need any.

Rich

9. Thanks. I will look into that. I have a customer at the shop that restores baby grands I will ask him about his sources.

Thanks Brady. Wish I could go to pamona with you guy's.
    Thanks as always. Still not sure on what direction to go on paint yet. I have a little while to decide.
    Thanks Rich. That is a beautiful custom. If mine comes out as nice I will be very happy.

10. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Thank you for posting this build. I have to say it is the best thread I have come across in a long while. While I'm building my belly button 54 I dream of finding something like this to build someday. keep em coming I wish I had found this sooner I needed this fix bad!!!!!!!

11. How did I miss this!!! Excellent work man!! I've been collecting parts to do a 40's style custom 36!! Major encentive!!

12. carbuilder

carbuilder

I have a friend & customer that has a Model A A400 he painted in black & burgandy 2 or 3 years ago in nitro I will try & remember to call him & find out where he bought the paint its a knock out restored car.

13. Thanks. Glad to help.
    Thanks. Nothing like a 36 tail dragger.
    Thanks that would be appreciated.

14. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Maybe this for paint?

http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=711

"Piano Lacquer is a high quality nitrocellulose lacquer specially formulated to allow higher build without sacrificing clarity for piano finishing and refinishing projects. Piano Lacquer also has excellent rubbing characteristics. Piano Lacquer is provided in a ready to spray viscosity. Piano Lacquer is ideal for:
    Piano finishers and refinishers
    Furniture builders and refinishers
    Furniture retail stores

15. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

16. -Brent-

-Brent-

[​IMG]

There should be pics of this thing on every page of the thread.

17. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Just some thoughts on the use of lacquer in your build................

Depending on what colour you finally deside on, you may only have a choice of acrylic lacquer:( The lead, cadmium, chromium & zinc formerly used nitrocellulose, in the deep base toners have been outlawed by the EPA ( Commie Enviro Pricks):D , and acrylic will be next on their list:mad:

I doubt you'll notice much of a difference between nitrocellulose and acrylic lacquer from a durability factor, but the nitrocellulose colours did tend to be more true given the heavy metals their toners contained. Unlike today's urethane finishes, neither nitrocellulose nor acrylic lacquer contain any ultraviolet light protection in their formulations, but you're trading the service life of a paint job for purity of colour and actual depth of gloss, not the plastic '' Howdy Doody '' look of an over cleared urethane:D

If you're thinkin you'll shoot a lacquer paint job much like you'd shoot an enamel or urethane, DON'T!;) Many coats thinned as much as 150% will yield a much more durable finish over, say three or four fat coats cut and buffed.

I don't do colour suggestions, as it's abit like pickin you a date, you're the one who's gonna have to look at her day in, and day out:eek:;)

" Spending a nation into generational debt is not an act of compassion "

18. Great build! It is one of the better 5-windows I have seen. I love the chop!

19. Thanks. I will check into this.
    Black would look steller but we need a little color on this one.
    I like your thinking Brent.
    Thanks. Still not sure wich way to go yet.
    Thanks.

20. Finally back at it. I stripped the paint off of the garnish molding's then I bead blasted the surface rust to prep for fitting. Then I chopped the left garnish molding's. I started with the door. I cut and fit the pieces together. Then I welded the molding back together.

[​IMG]
    Then I ground sanded and polished the door garnish now it is ready for chrome.

[​IMG]

Then I cut and welded the quarter window. A few slices to adjust the angle and she is ready to grind.

[​IMG]

Now the quarter window is ground sanded polished and ready for chrome.

[​IMG]

Now on to the other side.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Nice work!
    In '60 I had EVERYTHING chromed inside my '38 coupe for $100. Those were the days. Even at $1.25 an hour you could do stuff. The complete TJ black tuck 'n roll job only cost 60.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  22. carbuilder

carbuilder

My customer bought his Nitro Lacquer from Hebner restorations.

23. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Loving this build!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Thanks. I would like that bill even adjusted for inflation. My chrome bill is going to be insane.
    Thanks. I will check into that.
    Thanks. finally back moving after pictures.

25. Here is a pick from a different view not posted earlier. I think there is like 150 different ones. Dam I love these pictures!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  26. telekenfun

telekenfun

Kipp, I think this is my favorite picture yet. Now, you are about to begin the most painful part of the build, The teardown for paint, what a shame to have to take it back apart!
    Your lenses look on the dark side. Perhaps there are no reflectors installed yet. I was told they had lead in the lens glass back in the day (like lead crystal) that got darker over time. I have some clearer ones I'll send you if you'll like them.
    Back to paint, I'm sure you've heard this as well, "it looks good like this, why don't you just clearcoat it?" I can't imagine paint well make it any nicer.
    Best Rgards and Good Luck with all your endeavors, KB.

27. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Looking great!!