Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ignition Switch Panel or Ignition Switch Key?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wegortw, Nov 23, 2013.

1. wegortw

wegortw
    from Austin, TX

Most the wiring had been yanked out of my 56 Chevy Pickup by the PO and since I have got the truck back to starting via hot wiring I thought it was about time to wire a more simple way up so I don't burn up the wires.

The basic wires I have are:
    - Battery
    - Starter
    - Distributor
    - Fuel Pump
    - Electric Fan

Also am I over simplifying this?

What I am working with about 1:35 into the video -

What I am considering:

[​IMG]

OR

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  2. squirrel

squirrel

I guess if you can't get an original ignition switch back in it, that would work. On my old trucks, I put the wiring mostly back to stock, it works well that way, and looks good also.

3. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

I'm not sure what you were getting at with the picture, because if you get the Jegs "panel" it kind of already has an ignition switch (far left toggle...ON/OFF) and a start button. Having both the panel and key switch would be kind of redundant. And if you are running an electric fan, you will need a relay for that. If you use the search function on here, there are some excellent threads on wiring. It's not really that difficult, just take your time and make sure everything has a good ground. Maybe one of those wiring kits would suit you better? Good luck!

4. wegortw

wegortw
    from Austin, TX

Instead of going the full wiring harness at this point, I was more trying to get something other than touching wires together to start. Good point on the fan likely needing a relay, everything right now is just loose one-off wires.

Having never wired up an ignition switch I am not sure what all I can put to the ACC post without a fuse panel (again for the short term). Searching this forum(s) using the fancy search feature I have found many of posts, just nothing specific to hacking at what is wired to the ignition/starter switch.

I did find a few model correct replacement parts.

5. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

oh you can put quite a bit to them. fan and fuel pump should be fine relays would be better.

6. squirrel

squirrel

That universal ignition switch should work ok, the electric fan is iffy....as suggested, use a relay to power it. The relay will get power to feed to the fan from the battery, and the relay coil will be powered by the ACC connection on the switch.

Make sure you get some fuses in there. A general rule is that you use a 30 amp or smaller fuse if the circuit is all 10 gauge wire, 20 amp for 12 gauge, 15 amp for 14 gauge, and 10 amp for 16 gauge. Don't use wire that's smaller than that.

7. wegortw

wegortw
    from Austin, TX

Great to know info! I actually have a full wiring kit but for now electrical is low on my list as I just recently got it to turn over

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App! (Not sure if YouTUBE Links work from app)

8. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I'm using a SoCal Speed shop ignition (on the right side of the Speedo) that is a pull to start unit. It's clean and there's a battery disconnect switch for security.

Attached Files:

9. wegortw

wegortw
    from Austin, TX

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  10. wegortw

wegortw
    from Austin, TX

Don't buy the cheap amazon switch i last linked too, tried two of them neither of them worked.

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Since it's temporary, I'd use an ignition switch, and then just toggle switches to turn on whatever you need to test run it. Once it's running and you're ready to do the rewire, I'd gut the wiring and install a new wiring system and harness to make sure you don't have headaches from old wiring in the future.

12. I did that with Allen Bradley switches. I used the light in the push button for the alternator light.