Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Banker Brother's 32's

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Nov 20, 2013.

1. This is a great shot. Never seen it before. Thanks for posting it.

[​IMG]

2. The stories I could tell about that sedan....................but I better not to protect the innocent.;)

3. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

All I'll say about Walt's coupe is, it's completely unrecognizable

That picture is of a 19 yr old Pete Eastwood in 1971, fresh out of infantry training, & headed over seas, in the service of his uncle.

Last I knew of my old three window, it had been parted out, and the body was seen leaving the LARS swap meet in the back of a pickup, years ago.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  4. flamingokid

flamingokid

Sometimes you throw your hands up and say "WHY???".This is one of those times. :(

5. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

What was the brothers name? Did one of them later get involved with a willys or a Henry j?

6. Roadsir

Roadsir

Right Click and Save...Ryan, thanks for the inspiration, and Dean thanks for sharing on the forum. There's a lot of us that wish we could have been part of early years of hot rodding and racing in So Cal, it's great to hear the stories first hand.

That 3 window is perfect.........

Look's like they only owned 4 hubcaps between them and in this shot the coupe got all four!

7. Larry took the hub caps off when he changed the rear end. Baldys for Chevy wheels were not made yet. They came out in '61 and we put 4 caps on the car.

8. luke13

luke13

same thing happened to rome.

9. luke13

luke13

I hate it when that happens so many great customs lost that way!

10. In the 90's I worked for Larry's son Bruce at Super Shops, he was very proud of his father and uncle's hot rods.

11. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

The Banker Bros coupe is in a garage in Bradbury Estates.
    Owner is Gary Lorenzini.
    Last I saw of it was about 3 years ago- the hood was in bare metal & the car was being hot rodded. Maybe the whole car was bare metal, I don't remember now.
    A few car guys went over to talk about his other car & the coupe was sitting there. On the wall was a pic of the car in it's former glory. So- I asked if it was the same coupe & the answer was yes. As far as I know, he still has it.
    All I remember was he was doing mods to the hood top as the motor (covered up) had a surfers scoop slightly sticking through.
    No pics though- we were just cruising that day- had no idea what I was going to see that day. After that, the camera never left my car!

Here's the "other" car we went over to see.
    This is at the unveiling at So Cal Speed Shop.
    Saw it at So Cal- went to see it again at his home.
    That's Tom Prufer's FED in the beginning of video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfBmUtuAKR8

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  12. flamingokid

flamingokid

To be honest,I don't remember.The one with the roadster looked like the Marlboro man.

13. dusterdave173

dusterdave173

Son, Bruce works at Doug Herberts in Concord NC call there ask for him for more real info

14. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

7 window got to love it.

15. Beautiful cars! Are there any old color photo's of them out there anywhere?

16. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

Timeless classics. Amazing how a car tastefully built nearly 50 years ago can still look good today. Classic look never goes out of style.

17. I don't know. My brother might have a few color shots of the sedan. Would not matter much. The colors are black, white and chrome. :rolleyes:

Chili Phil likes this.
  18. cabong

cabong

Hey Dean,
    Did your Dad take off that "awful" connie. As I see it, that's what made these two great hot rods individual. Thanks for the great story. I was down there in that era, and remember seeing that great fodor.

19. Linkone1

Linkone1
    from NC

Dean - I am Larry Banker's daughter-in-law married to Larry's first child, Bruce Banker, that you referenced as the reason Larry decided to sell his '32 sedan.

And yes, Flowmeister, though I never met Larry, he was indeed the wild one based on stories I've heard.

Thank you all for the wonderful stories.

20. Well, it really is a small world! My friends and I had some good times in that sedan. Cruised it down highway 39 to Balboa everyday during spring break in 1962. Good thing that Ford can't talk! Still, I believe, one of the most beautiful interiors ever in a sedan. When I saw the car two years ago, the original Schifano upholster still looked like new. I'd love to by that car today for what Dad paid for it in '61.