Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Can't afford a 32 3 window, make one.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Turkey, Jan 11, 2009.

1. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

2. McFly

McFly

^^^Holy smokes!! I hope they are wrong about Hot Turkey...this is just sad.

3. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

hmm. Some Random FNG with a RATHER PECULIAR name posts that link.....HMMM

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I've reported him.

Don

5. Buzznut

Buzznut

Regardless of who posted the link to the article, if the article is true we have ALL been had. I have to be completely honest at this point; when i first read the post that stated that the car was stolen, and the circumstances under which it was stolen, I had a weird feeling. Obviously I don't know anything about David Gallentine, but something smells... Apparently the local police department thinks so as well. This thread is evidence that they need to complete their investigation IMO.

6. Beachcomber

Beachcomber
    from Phoenix,AZ

7. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

thanks don. I wont pass judgement on Hot Turkey until the car is found. No matter what the circumstances, a little girl is without her hotrod :(

8. Buzznut

Buzznut

Restored 1932 Ford coup stolen from garagePosted: Oct 24, 2012 12:17 PM PDT Updated: Nov 07, 2012 12:17 PM PST

By Tiffany Teasley, Reporter

[​IMG]

DELEON SPRINGS, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35 ORLANDO) - Deputies in Volusia County are investigating reports of a stolen car, taken from a DeLeon Springs garage. David Gallentine showed us the spot where thieves unbolted the screws on his garage and lifted the door to steal his car that was parked inside.

"They took the most valuable thing I had," said David Gallentine. "They took the screws out of here, so they could go right into the side," he gestured.

This wasn't just any car, according to Gallentine. It was a 1932 Ford coup, a hot rod in mint condition that was built from the ground up.

"This is a car I didn't even let my friends drive around in," he told us. "I babied it. I had 1,700 miles on it for a reason."

Gallentine said he and his family were on a five-day vacation when the car was taken, and when they got back Monday evening, he said his prized possession, worth $90,000, was gone.

Two major inconsistencies in the above story. It WASN'T really a '32 Ford, and it was definitely not worth anything close to $90,000.

I'm not passing judgement either, but this isn't looking good....

9. Can't we just leave this as a build thread and let the other bullshit take care of itself ?

10. thesupersized

thesupersized

I agree with you, dude put a ALOT of detail into this car. Hope the car gets found and the story has a happy ending.

11. Buzznut

Buzznut

It's all over the internet published by many different news sources. This is for real:

http://www.news-journalonline.com/a...assic-car-stolen-charged-with-insurance-fraud

http://www.jailbase.com/en/arrested/fl-vcc/2012-12-18/david-gallentine-890064

http://www.newsdaytonabeach.com/Rad...rested-For-Lying-About-Classic-Car-Theft.html

We have always held people accountable here, and this shouldn't be any different. "Bullshit" or not, the facts contained here will be important to the authorities..it gives a timeline and comments made by the builder. Personally I think that Ryan needs to lock out the function that allows this thread to be edited, just in case.

12. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Did they actually find the car, or did they just sift through his receipts and arrest him because they didn't like how he registered the car?

'Cause from where I'm setting, it looks like they just decided to drill the guy in the ass instead of getting off of theirs and actually finding the missing car.

Unless they find the car, how in hell can they say it's disappearance has anything to do with the owner?

I'm not gonna call the guy a thief because the fuzz decided they don't like the way he did some paperwork.

Let the cops produce the vehicle (or significant parts thereof) before we all just jump on this guy.

It could just as easily be that one of his buddies jacked it and the head cop is pushing the investigating officer to clear this case fast.

Easier to pin it on the owner over some paperwork than to actually do his job.

Zip zap, see that, Hot Turkey ends up in the pokey and the car is still MIA.

The whole deal fucking sucks.

13. Great let Perry Mason handle it. As for me I'll stick to traditional cars and skip this from here on out. Bullshit was meant as the drama part of it not whether or not it is for real.

14. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Of course, he could also just be some asshole who needed out from under his hotrod for full face value and decided to try his luck with the insurance company.

If that's the case, he did it to himself, so whatever shit he ends up in is his own fault.

I just know that both the cops and the news media are not to be trusted, while a hotrodder ought to get the benefit of the doubt, especially around here.

15. Rem

Rem

Sad tale, either way. There's something to be learned from this too - he isn't the only one in the world using 'original' documents for a ground-up build.

16. ChefMike

ChefMike

this is great work
    !

17. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I was expecting more posts like yours. I feel the same way.
    Plus, shouldnt an insurance company do an inspection on a veichle valued at 70K??? for fucksake! Or can i just insure a piece of shit supposedly rare car by sending pictures of another car having maybe just a wheel from it in my shed??
    And didnt he use a 32 chassis? isnt that enuff for a title?
    I think its a clueless cop playing greaser CSI.

18. I thought I read in the build that he bought new rails as well. Regardless, sounds like they are going after the guy pretty hard, and I didn't read anything that proved he actually stole his own car. I just kept reading how he presented it as a genuine 32 when in fact it wasn't. Big Fuckin deal.

19. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I just seemed to remember that. Still, doesnt seem like they have shit to put him in jail.
    Probably when he thought it couldnt get any worse......shit hit the fan. I feel for the guy.

20. Until I hear that they proved the guy actually stole it himself, I feel for him too. Sounds like something that could happen to a lot of us:have your car stolen, then get blaimed. They said he wasted no time in filing a claim, I wouldn't either! And usually in cases like this, the cars are parted out. So it seemed very feasible that he would come across parts of the car. I don't know, the whole thing sucks.

21. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

just found this. pannin out now too... :)

Florida Governor Signs SEMA Street-Rod/Custom Vehicle Bill Into Law

Florida joined the growing list of states to enact SEMA-model legislation to amend the vehicle titling and registration classification for street rods and create a classification for custom vehicles. The bill was approved by the Florida State Legislature and signed into law by Governor Charlie Crist.

Under the new law, a street rod is defined as an altered vehicle manufactured before 1949 and a custom as an altered vehicle at least 25 years old and manufactured after 1948. Importantly, kit cars and replica vehicles will be assigned a certificate of title bearing the same model-year designation as the production vehicle they most closely resemble.

22. gtolarry

gtolarry
    from Texas

I am withholding judgement until "the rest of the story" unfolds. I followed the build and I hope to bring the quality of workmanship to my 32. It is a sad story so far. I have not met the man or his little girl. but I hope and pray for a happy ending.
    As for the media I know that a story with a little sensationalism will sell papers, and I know that all papers do not write a story, they only copy the story from another paper.This makes it easier to cover a greater area with fewer people. It just means that you and I will be rereading the same thing over and over,and we all know that if we hear something enough times it becomes fact.
    As for Law enforcement. they are like everyone else. Some do good work and others do half-assed work.
    I think the bottom line here is for us to reflect on our own situation and make sure that we are fully covered in case of a theft of our cars.

23. kma4444

kma4444

I don't know the builder but I feel for him, either because he's been wrongly accused or because he made a terrible decision. If he's in the wrong then he has already paid the price, he has lost the most precious thing one can have, his reputation. If he's innocent, which seems reasonably likely to me, then he's got to pay much the same price which isn't right.

The "investigator's" story is weak, no footprints in the sand, how did someone walk to the wall to take the screws out or did they float. Doesn't matter who took the screws out they had to walk to the wall to do it, can't do it from the inside. They knew where there was no wood to block them getting in???? Really? If the siding isn't screwed to something there must not be wood there, Sherlock.

The statements provided by the "friend", maybe that's who took the car and he's covering his trail. If there isn't much more evidence than this then the authorities wouldn't want me sitting in judgement. Of course I don't know any more than what was in the story but it doesn't take much to blow holes in it. Hopefully he has a good lawyer, something he should have had once he started talking to the police beyond filing the report. Knowing it isn't the police's job or intent to go looking for the car, they just want to clear the case.

The car looks like it had $70k worth of grinding and smoothing on it. The whole deal just sucks no matter what.

24. indianmark

indianmark

All of us in the HAMB community need not pass judgement on this guy untill all of the facts are in. Let's hope that the investigators do a professional job.
    Those that are already condemning this guy I hope you have reciepts for every part, nut & bolt you used on your build because if someone wants to hang you they will find a way.

25. chubbie

chubbie

what a story, can't see the truth. BUT don't understand how this guy could be charged with assembling the car with parts, building in his own garage?? i do this... he got the engine free. not a crime.. "forgeing" papers to show a value for the engine. OK maybe, this i can see. but parts have a value. to get pid out from insurance, you have to have a paper trail?? I know I have MANY parts that i've traded for, no papers. SO the insurance company push you to "create" paper work to protect the value of your property. thinking about all the parts cars sold parts till i had my money back, AND a FREE engine, the engine still has a value!!!!

26. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Well guys it's been a bad year for my family and I. First I would like to thank my family and friends for standing by me through this mess. To those of you that turned on me, shame on you! To the rest, thank you for your support. What I learned from all this is never insure anything, insurance companies are evil and if I had never insured that car none of this would have happened. NEVER under any circumstances trust the police, they are not here to help you. There is a reason they tell you they will use what you say against you. I had my day in court and of course most of the bullshit charges were thrown out. As it turns out they went after me for how the car was titled. Does that warrant a swat team, 5:30 am rushing my home, taking my wife out of the shower, dragging my son out of bed and cuffing him, waking my daughter at gun point and cuffing me in my underwear and putting me in the back of a cop car for hours while they stole computers, phones, tablets etc....??? I thought having my car stolen was bad, weeks after being treated like a drug lord they came back and arrested me! So the judge withheld adjudication and gave me 3 years of probation. I was not convicted but during probation I am a felon. All that for getting robbed. No apologies in the paper or on TV, you are guilty until proven innocent. Had I not received awesome legal help I would still be in jail. I've sold my business and anything else I owned to pay fines and fees. The insurance company didn't pay, but I will be for the rest of my life.

27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Sounds like over zealous law enforcement. More concerned with protecting the insurance company than the insured. Sorry you lost your car, and even more sorry about everything else that came as a result of filing an insurance claim. Sad situation for sure.
    The outcome shows how far they'll go to make sure they are right, regardless of the consequences for the victim. Did they ever find even one piece of your car? Or did they even spend one minute of their time trying to find the thief?

28. daddio211

daddio211

29. gtolarry

gtolarry
    from Texas

I am very sorry for the way this turned out for you my thoughts and prayers are with you

30. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

One of my best friends stole my 1940 knucklehead Harley chopper that I had built from boxes of scrap parts in 1975,and moved out of state with it. Actually,I sold it to him because I needed the money to go to school in Colorado,and he was supposed to send me the money.

I still want to kill him,but as far as I know,he hasn't been seen since taking off owing money to everybody in the county,including building supply companies (he was a contractor),employees,banks,and everybody else he knew.

I even made a trip out of state to tell him mother I was going to shoot him in both kneecaps and leave him to die if I ever saw him. She knew why I was there,and let me look in every room of her house for parts from my Harley. She told me he had shown up a few months earlier and taken my Harley away,as well as the 57 Pan I built for him,but she had no idea where he was.

Even today,I can get a little dizzy thinking about this.

jhl1963, 37slantback and jtruelove44 like this.