Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 47 Ford Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cougar98, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Cougar98

Cougar98
    from Ankeny, IA

Well, I figured I would finally get to working on my 47' Ford Coupe. I got inspired by fellow HAMBER Tim, and decided to follow suit. My wedding is in June and I recently got home from a stint in Honduras with the military. My brother and I acquired the '47 after the passing of my father 3 years ago. It has sat in storage far to long. We'll be starting with a 78,000 mile long door coupe, that sat near a barn in central Nebraska for about 20-25 years. The previous owners kids pulled the original flathead and tranny to have them rebuilt.... They are no where to be found. So, with the new blank canvas will go a 302, C4, Maverick 8", Sids dropped axel, and CE leafs out back. Earlier this week I received a few parts from CE to get me started...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  2. I have a good friend with a '47 coupe,a really nice driver. HRP

3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Congrats on upcoming wedding, thank you for your service and the best of luck on your build. I have a '47 Coupe as well and they're great cars. Speaking of great, so are Tim & Sarah: I gave them a tour of drdave's hot rod orthodontic office when they were visiting in Arkansas

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. marman1950

marman1950

I will be following along.... Funny, everything you mentioned is what I'm doing on my 46. I just got my parallel leaf kit from chassis eng. and I already have a 302/C4. Like wise, gonna do a dropped axle. I heard it gets super tight with the 302/C4. Might have to do a fire wall mounted brake set up and have to use the stock steering box for clearance. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1385193332.866987.jpg

Attached Files:

5. Attached Files:

6. Bubbashead

Bubbashead

I finally more or less finished my '46 Ford last year. It took me an incredible 13 years because I kept getting side tracked with other projects. I used a frame from Chubby Chassis and a BB 502 with Edelbrock fuel injection. I chopped the top 4" and frenched the headlights and tail lights. I call it the black widow because of the big butt that looks like it needs a red dot on it.

Good luck on your build,it sounds like you have a good design in mind.
    Lanny

Attached Files:

7. Cougar98

Cougar98
    from Ankeny, IA

Update: the rear end is done, minus the upper shock mounts. On the ground and about 14" high. The CE kit was by far the easiest bit of suspension I have installed yet, I highly recommend them. My brother and I will be attacking the front end Friday after the Husker game. View attachment 2083938 ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1385583295.417475.jpg

8. Cougar98

Cougar98
    from Ankeny, IA

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1385583387.816708.jpg

9. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

thanks for your service.nice build.

10. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

13 years well spent---really like it.

11. manyolcars

manyolcars

Wotinell is our military doing in Honduras???

12. marman1950

marman1950

Post a bunch of front end build pics... I will be following along and taking notes... Happy turkey day...

13. Cougar98

Cougar98
    from Ankeny, IA

We have a small strategic airbase that serves Central and part of South America. I got lucky that rotation. Anyone on here do there own upholstery? Happy thanksgiving fellow HAMBers

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

looks like it should be a fun car man :)

some side notes: 1 ive noticed the rear leaves on my set up settled a couple inches over the first first year or two of having weight on them. it settled much more then my posie leaf which doesnt seem to have settled any at all up front.

2: really wish i would have put brakes on the firewall, underneath is a pain and everythings so dang tight that i cant see how youd run true duals with the brakes right in the way

3: the one big thing i wish id done different other then brakes is to put a manual trans in it. i know it sounds like more work but by the time you notch the hell out of the x member to clear and split your wish bones as well another pedal doesnt sound like that big of deal.

if you have any questions at all or need a photo of anything please let me know :)

15. Bubbashead

Bubbashead

Speaking of things I wish I had done differently on my '46 Ford. I wish I hadn't removed the cowl vent. I know it is kind of an eyesore to a smoothed car. But the ability to take in outside air is big. I only have my A/C to keep me cool, or run with the window(s) down. Windows down is noisy,and it is a shame to have to run the A/C when it is not really warm outside. I am trying to think of a way to add outside air vents to my car,maybe pull the air from the front grill. But it will be a real challenge now that the car is built.
    Think about it.....

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Bubba, have you considered putting the wing windows back in your door glass? Or maybe having the back glass move backwards a little like some of them did factory?

Just trying to think of ideas that don't involve cutting a hole in the car haha

17. millersgarage

millersgarage

18. That doesn't help all that much; mine still has the vent windows but the cowl vent won't open because of the electric wiper install the PO did. And I don't have AC, so warm days can be too warm easily....

I'm giving some thought to fabbing a plenum like a later-model car and installing a grill in place of the vent, but running to the grill area ala '55-56 Fords is a thought too.

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Could change the wipers and pop the vent open?

Alright enough thread high jacking ;)

20. looks to be in fair shape ...

21. Cougar98

Cougar98
    from Ankeny, IA

It's in great shape for the age, but a couple of decades in a field will prevent rot... She has a few trouble spots, but none bigger than a quarter. It's been a while since I've worked on her, and won't get back to her until the end of next week. I'm looking forward to getting into replacing the front end. Any tips or photos of the stock with split wishbone would be great! I may be rethinking the stock location MC but I really like the clean firewall look... Thoughts?

22. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

good luck on your build. keep us posted with pics of your progress

23. marman1950

marman1950

If you stay with the C4 you won't need to split the bones. There is enough room side to side but you will need the wishbone drop kit to gain room under the C4. Chassis Eng. has what you need for around 60$. It basically lowers the wishbones for clearance. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386975725.938902.jpg

24. marman1950

marman1950

Sorry for the twisted neck/sideways picture...

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Page I think 7-10 of my build thread have photos of the split bones and mount. It's all chassis inc stuff

26. 48ford

48ford

A few tips for what there worth.
    For a swing peddle,I used one from a bronco ll. It fits real niceRanger should be the same.
    To gain a few inches in the engine bay, you can use the original 6 cyl. radiator and air deflectors. This sits the radiator almost 4" forward of the V8 mounting( the original Rebuilt radiator cools my 400 chevy with no problems}
    I got a mount from speedway(you can make one) to mount a G.M. p/s box with no modification to the pitman arm to keep the cross steering. sorry it has been to long,I don't remember if I used the gm or ford arm.Then just toss in a G.M. tilt unit and you are set.Even has a automatic shifter built in. this also fits like a glove.
    Gap a kit from speedway to put disc on the front and it will keep the bolt pattern all the same.
    don't want to take over your build just trying to help
    Russ

27. Noticed some kick panel vents in friend of a friends '41 (with a '47 front clip), asked him about them. He put an air intake at each side behind the grille and ran 3" tube along the outside top edge of the inner fender panels and then in thru the side of the cowl to the kick panels. Says they work really well.

28. partssaloon

partssaloon

Looks great! Will be watching the build. Good Luck

29. 47COUPELG

47COUPELG
    from Iowa

I have a `47 Coupe that I put a 302/c-4 combo using a CE kit, `74 Mav. 4dr driveshaft, `74 Mav. 8" rear end on `74 Dart rear springs w/ hangers. it's been on the road for about 18 years & works just great.
    I used a `79 GM 605 metric steering box(modified the stock steering arm to fit) with a CE kit, also used the CE PB booster adapter(under the floor) w/ `92 mustang booster & `78 LTD/T-bird master cylinder.
    I belong to the I.S.R.A. & am located in Mason City,IA. PM me @ [email protected] if you want to talk more.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013