Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects So I was checking out Craig's list and...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barsteel, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

I kept on seeing the same ad. '52 Plymouth Coupe, all original, no rot (yeah, right), good condition. I ignored it just because I wasn't looking for another project at the moment. Anyway, I've seen this ad for, what, 4 months? The seller started at $4K, dropped to $3K, then to $2K...then the ad appeared "$2K, or will trade for almost anything". That caught my attention...I run a junk collection business, and have 3 or 4 of everything. So, I dropped the guy a line and asked if he would consider tools, power equipment, generators, etc. Yes was the answer, so I set up a time to see it.

What I found - What appeared to be an older restoration with 29,000 ORIGINAL miles on it, NO rust, NONE!, and floor you could eat off of. Sure, it needed some love...brakes don't work, rear window is out (have it w/new gasket, just needs to be installed), interior is musty, muffler is blown out, door panels are shot, chrome isn't so great, old cracked bias ply tires, but IT'S ALL THERE, including a restoration quality wiring harness in the trunk, a new pass side window (cracked), all new weatherstripping, and a new carpet.

I traded the guy a few things I had laying around, a go cart, a few chain saws, and a leaf blower, and he delivered it.

I've attached a pic. Never thought I'd own one of these, but dammit, I kinda like it. I promised him I wouldn't cut it up, and I won't, 'cause it's just too damn clean and straight.

Guess everyone gets lucky every now and again...

Chris

We chatted for a while, then got it to start...runs like a top.

Attached Files:

2. 1320stang

1320stang
    from Edmond, OK

NICE!!! needs more grille teeth.... and less bumperettes.

Or you could start a new trend, lots of bumperettes and no grille teeth....

3. r.l.r

r.l.r

Nice find congrats, I love the old Plymouths.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

hey, I'lll trade you a lawn mower, some tire chains, and an old couch for it.

5. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

How about two pretty nice Schrade folding knives, a toaster with a burnt-out element and a shower head with just a little bit of crust on the nozzles?

6. F&J

F&J

Yes, The project "market" is dead in CT, if not everywhere? My son said he saw it crashing this spring, and he had to get out of flipping for now. He says it's mostly all trades now..on anything needing work.

7. i worked on one earlier this year, it was a nice little car, once i solved the starter problem. good luck with it!

8. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Score! Congrats on the new project!

9. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

I hope that you didn't trade off the Sawzall (LOL) She could use a Haircut and a trim......

VR&C.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sounds like a great swap, sign of the times, no money out there anymore. Bob

11. farmer12

farmer12

Great swap. Can't go wrong. What are the plans?

12. Wow ! That there is a Nice trade

13. todztoyz

todztoyz

Nice deal! Amazing how much that front end resembles a 49-52 chevy.

14. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Thanks for the comments.

I've been through the car some more and a I CANNOT believe how solid and original this car is. The guy I got it from said that he did have some interest in it, but that everyone who saw it wanted to make it into a gasser or the dreaded "R-R" word, and he didn't want it to happen...and I agree with him.

The immediate plans are this...get it so it starts, runs, stops reliably. 12V and electronic ignition conversion, new radial tires, find the 3 hubcaps I need, replace the muffler, get some radial tires, go through the brakes w/a dual well MC conversion, maybe a front disc conversion, clean out the interior, find some origininal/close to original cloth and have the door panels redone.

Once it hits "driver" status, the next step would be to install the new wiring harness, complete the interior (seat covers, install carpet) and to either swap in a new rear for brakes and a more favorable gear ratio, install a T5 so that I can cruise on the highway, and maybe a warm-over for the flat 6, i.e. mill the head, split exhaust, new cam, dual carbs.

Other than the brake/electrical/drivetrain upgrades, I think that this will be a fun car to keep pretty much stock...no chopping, cutting, etc.

Like almost every car I own, if someone really wanted it, I would consider selling/trading, but it would have to be for the right vehicle.

Chris

15. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I word to the wise. Before purchasing anything over a one hundred dollars on Craig's list please go to U-Tube and do a search for Craig's list scams.

It appears there are many ways to lose your money and some of them I believe would fool most people because they are really very clever and appear to be the real thing.

I watched many of the video's others have posted on how they lost all their money on Craig's list.

I am not sure I would purchase anything unless I took the time to lay my eyes on it and even then the whole fake tittle thing can still be a problem.

Just use your head and be careful when shopping on both E-Bay and Craig's list.

Jimbo

16. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Jimbo -

Thanks for the heads up. In this case, the car is already in my possession, so I'm not that worried. I went to the guys house and chatted with him for over an hour. I know where he lives, where he works, I have his complete name, home address, and contact information, and he has offered to put me in contact with the previous owner, who is the son of the original owner.

I sell on CL, and about half of the responses I get are from someone interested in my "item" who will have his "agent" contact me to arrange for pickup and delivery because he is "overseas"...and this was for a set of old rims, something every global executive needs...LOL.

Chris

17. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Awesome score man, way to save the car.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. WOW! I'm digging it. I think you made a good trade for sure!

19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm always puzzled by people who are ready to part with a car, but seem obsessed with what the next owner will do with it? If they care so little that they'll let it go, then why cut themselves out of a sale for more money, just because one guy says he'll not molest it?
    Lots of guys will tell a seller whatever he wants to hear, and then proceed any way they want once it's in their garage. I've heard all sorts of stories from buyers about how they'll care for a car, and never sell it, and then it's back up for sale once they get it home. (not saying that's the case here though!)
    When I go to buy a car I don't give the seller any indication of my dream for the car, as I don't want some eccentric dude to get upset and cancel the sale. I just look them over and make the deal without conveying anything about my plans. Same thing when I sell a car. I don't care, nor do I really want to hear about the buyer's plans. Once it's theirs they can do what they want to it.

20. SloppyEggs

SloppyEggs

Why can't this ever happen to me!?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!