Register now to get rid of these ads!

'64 Galaxie Wide 5 Hub Conversion:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drive Em, Aug 18, 2013.

1. early ford isn't a problem that's what the screw on snouts were made for first.

2. I Drag

I Drag

Totally, totally cool tech and car.

3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Great build and Great looking car. Nothing wrong with the Clevo, they can be made to run very, very strong, but a 2x4 FE with baldies and cast headers would just be sick.

4. parts for wide five can be found at Coleman,Bicknell Racing Products, winters , Bert's transmission and AFCO they all manufacture racing parts

5. k9racer

k9racer

The hubs will hold up very well. The big problem would more than likely be the axles. But I have abused the shit out of those old 3/4 ton sourced quick change rears. They will take a lot of abuse. I think you Ford came out nice. I am glad that some one else thinks like I do.. Nice work again.... Bobby

6. 4444Design

4444Design

pretty awesome lookin' rig

7. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Hope you keep the color combo just respray body.
    Kind of like a test car. No numbers no nothing.
    But it looks killer now though.

8. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

No big deal, just another day in the shop around here...:D
    Very cool tech, thanks for posting. And I agree with two things, 1) the Galaxy looks cool as hell, and 2) if I have EVER seen a car that just CRIES for a rumblin' stumblin' FE, this is it! Very cool car.
    The wide fives absolutely make this car...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  10. That car looks super fun! Great job.

11. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Very impressed .....
    And I love the look of that car...
    Thanks for sharing with us...

12. Awesome thread, bitchin' car! I love the roundy-rounder-for-the-street idea, have been thinking of doing the same thing. My '63 Galaxie is too nice to use, but I'm looking for something I won't mind cutting up. I love the sound of a lumpy cam in a FE! :D

13. hellerods

hellerods

That is one cool Ford, comming from a Pontiac guy !! I'm just sayin' ......Le'Bone

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Love the cut-out in the rocker for the exhaust. Looking forward to the follow-up photos with the wide fives on the back.

15. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Just found this thread, This is very cool. I have been trying to figure out how to put these wide 5 hubs on a straight axle. I'm just wondering if the added track width would screw up the steering effort and scrub. This would be on a fenderless car.

16. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

The addition to the scrub radius depends a lot on how much overhang the original hubs had.

The Wide Five hubs use a much wider snout, but the hub face is more or less centered in between the bearings, so if your original hub face is out near the outer bearing, they may be more or less in the same place. On the other hand, if the original hub face is back near the rear bearing, then your track width is going to get wider and your scrub radius is going to get bigger when you switch to Wide Five hubs.

The larger scrub radius shouldn't make the wheels harder to turn (when standing still, the scrub radius tends to make the wheel "roll around" the pivot point instead of just turning in place, making it easier to turn the wheels while standing still, but when rolling the longer scrub radius will tend to make the wheels want to toe out at speed, adding to the steering effort slightly, but also eating up all the slack in your steering system in the process).

One trouble it might give you is with death wobble if you have any slack in your steering system and your car was prone to it before. If all the other steering gear is tight and in good shape, you ought to be fine though.

Because the extra scrub radius wants to toe the wheels out at speed, you don't need to run as much static toe out as you otherwise would. Or, conversely, if you want toe IN while you're driving, you'll need a little more static toe in as the scrub radius goes up.

All these things are fine little changes though. Nothing huge in feel or drive-ability, and certainly nothing that can't be tuned out.