Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where is Orv Elgie?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bdamfino, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Whatever became of Orv Elgie, builder of the '37 Sedan Delivery on the April '70 RnC?

2. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't tell you that, but I can tell you the '37 delivery he built wound up in Minnesota for awhile. The pic is from the '75 (or so!) World of Wheels in St. Paul. I think Tom Vollbrecht Sr. owned it then. If I remember right, the car was later owned by upholsterer Dan Drumm who moved to Cali and took the car back there with him.

Attached Files:

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

He's in Bend Oregon and still building kick ass cars with Ray Brown........:D

5. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I would REALLY like to know where that delivery ended up.

6. Glad he's still around and active in the hobby. He has certainly been responsible for building some great cars over the years. All through the "billet" times Orv Elgie kept the resto rod vibe alive and well.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  7. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

Orv and Ray brought these to West Coast Nats in Pleasanton this year. Orv's coupe and Ray's pickup were both sold, they build them in the winter, sell them in the summer. The pickup is for sale at Canepa Design, and I understand a collector who bought Orv's tudor last year bought his coupe this year. I remember Orv from Lakenoor Auto Salvage in Norwalk (long time ago).

Attached Files:

8. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

what a name from the past! loved his SD

9. I know you kinda have to look at it in a business-like mindset, but if I owned either of those '40's, it would break my heart to sell it and see it leaving my garage. Two absolutely beautiful vehicles.....Don.

10. kennkat

kennkat

Orv Elgie.... Lakenoor Auto Salvage ... Names from my past...... and let me tell you about that "part of town" in the 1960's & 70's...... Between Orv's home nearly beside the 605 Fwy & Lakenoor Auto Salvage were the likes of good 'Ol Dean Moon's place (just up the Blvd from Lakenoor) The TORCO oil Co, Gary Densham's Funny Car operating from his garage (also next to the 605) Ever hear of a "Wayne Rainey"? He and his Family, Dad Sandy (2 stroke builder tuner EXTRAORDINAIRE!) Lee Taylor (Boat Speed Records) and "me" LOL! all were in that same area AT THE SAME TIME! I was aquainted with or socail with them all as I grew up there from 1958 to 1978.....

11. kennkat

kennkat

From 1958 to 1967 I lived 1/2 block off of Norwalk Blvd, just 2 blocks down the blvd from Lakenoor Auto Salvage... "Late Model" GM Parts only as I recall... About 6 blocks further down from Dean Moon's "Moon Equipment Company".... I was a pest at times as a kid to good 'ol Dean..... Got my first ride in a Straight axle Hot Rod in that neighborhood.... right between Norwalk Blvd & the Little Lake Elementary School, A Root beer Brown 1956 Chevy, 327/4spd (WHAT ELSE in 1965?) from my much older GOOD FRIEND "Steve Norsworthy"........

12. I last saw the delivery in Memphis at the second NSRA nats. Beautiful car that was absolute state of the art for the day.

13. kennkat

kennkat

In between the '67 & '68 school years (for zero interruption in our education! thanx Mom)
    we moved from the Norwalk to just the other side of the 605 Fwy, in Downey. Right next door to the Taylors (Lee Taylor Unlimited Boat Speed Records) and about 2 blocks from a guy running a Funny Car out of his garage... Gary Densham... My friend Ron Daywalt lived next door to Orv Elgie, about 4 blocks away... I bought my first car, a '59 Chevy/348/4bbl/3spd floor shift Impala, from Ron's dad... I remember well when Orv was building that "first brown car" The one that would soon make EVERYONE know his name... as a kid I got to "time it right" only once or twice, being there just in time to "help" move something... or just think we were...

14. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I liked the 37 so much that I painted my 39 the same ugly color, since changed to pale yellow.

15. Jet Doc

Jet Doc

Just saw his 1931 Chevy Victoria is going through the Anaheim Mecum auction this Saturday S122.1 Totally state of the art for it's time. Car was in a sea container 40 years and is impeccable. Check it out.

16. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

17. knotheads

knotheads

Orv is living in Oregon now.

18. Weasel

Weasel

Bobwop - a friend of mine owned Orv's Chevy and sold it last spring. Beautiful car - THAT is a resto rod. It will be crossing the block right after a beautiful custom two door Cord resto rod - now that's an unusual and rare hot rod. Some good stuff coming up at Mecum in Anaheim this weekend....

19. Weasel

Weasel