Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New shop means new shop truck - Zephyr Speed Shop '36 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rory_a, Nov 18, 2013.

1. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

going to quote the great Mr. Stoner on the importance of the truck bed:

"In many cases, they’ve also credited Rodriguez’ “Coahuila” ’35 as the first bobber truck, when in fact –– as seen above –– its bed was neither ‘bobbed’ or perched on the back of anything that resembles the disasters passed off as viable rat rods today. Mostly."

http://autoculture.org/?p=734

it is a truck, the bed is the single focal point that will make or break your efforts...

2. rory_a

rory_a
    from Sparks, NV

Thanks for the input, and link to article on Rudy's truck. Because I've been living under a rock, I've never seen it before. Sweet little truck.

My concept image is simply a method of providing myself with some inspiration, and to keep work on track. It's by no means a final concept, nor a representation or blueprint of the exact form the final product will resemble. Merely a whiteboard for ideas, and reference to direction. Some illustrative freedom was taken in order to instill a bit of attitude in the concept in order to represent the attitude desired in the final product.

You're absolutely right, though, as the beds on these trucks make them, or break them. The bed on my concept is not a finished piece - note lack of stake pockets, fender beading, tailgate retention, taillights, etc. I will admit, I intend for the bed to sit higher than in the concept, and body rake a little less extreme.

Take the concept image for what it's worth, a grain of salt.

3. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I find myself suddenly feeling older :p

Look for balance. My favorite is a series 1 jaguar E type roadster. Look at the lines...penned on a napkin over lunch. Each change over every subsequent evolution distorted the original thought...the purity was lost.

Just hope you don't fall down the lower is better rabbit hole.

4. rory_a

rory_a
    from Sparks, NV

I've already fallen down that rabbit hole.... That's why this time I decided I need to run air - looks and driveability.

Bought the engine for the 36 today. About half the cost of rebuilding my 59AB. At this point, that means the difference between affording to finish this year, or it becoming an indefinite project. I'll hold on to the flatty for the 35, and piece it together over time.

Went with an unorthodox engine and trans setup. I'm sure it'll get more flack than the concept drawing, so this might end up being a fun thread to watch lol.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

When I built the truck I posted a pic of I actually built a frame from 2x4 wood first. It was complete with crossmembers bolted it. We put the front and rear suspension under it then put the cab and box on it. Looked at it, changed the frame until everything was where we liked it. Once we tweaked it where we liked everything we took it apart. I measures everything on the wood frame, across the tops of the 2x4's then adjusted for 2x3 steel tube. Still had a few little things to tweak but we knew what it basically was going to look like before we welded the first tube.

6. Only because you asked.
    The green one in the above photo (your design), seems like so many of these to me..where there is an extreme angle from the rear up thru to the cowl, then the angle of the front frame rails/engine/radiator seems like it collapsed/broke.
    It looks wrong and uncomfortable, catoonish like.
    The burgandy one doesn't look broken, but still looks incomplete.
    Obviously, I'm not a fan of fenderless pickups, but I am a fan of peoples skills/efforts
    Good luck in your build.

7. rory_a

rory_a
    from Sparks, NV

To be honest, I've seen more of the trucks in the last couple days (online) than I have in the last few years. I've had only a few to work from to get the idea in my head, let alone onto (digital) paper. I shared the black '36 truck yesterday, and in my opinion, it's still the best I've seen. Rudy's truck is awesome, as is the Dirty7, but the black truck (of unknown builder) is very close to what I'd want to build had I never seen images of it. It's just right. I'd go with different finishes and whatnot, but the styling, proportions, stance, everything is just right.

I've tried to refine my concept to closer resemble whats's in my head, as the previous mockup was really only meant for internal motivation and brainstorming. I've also added the intended wheel/tire package (gloss black '35 wires, 475/500 and 800 Firestone whites), some rough stock-style styling to the bed, and tried to get everything a little closer to what's in my head. Also wanted to see how a color along the lines of the current Ford slate blue would look.

I will be redoing the rear section of my frame this weekend as well. Not super happy with how it was looking with the basic kick-up, so will throw some styling at it.

Anyway, since the last concept received such favorable input, here's another to cause some more ruckus:

[​IMG]

If anyone has dimensions of the various pieces on a stock bed, or can take the time to get some dimensions, I'd greatly appreciate it. I plan to build my own as I've yet to find anything close to worth saving, and am not willing to buy new just to cut it up.

8. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

best looking shop truck in the world...sweet..i like the green,,its more shop...

9. rory_a

rory_a
    from Sparks, NV

Got the front sweep pretty far today. I think I'll bring it down a little more then see where it's at with the cab, suspension, and engine in place at ride height.

Should follow the curve of the rocker pretty well from where it starts to kick up until about 6" past the cowl, then sweep back down to level.

[​IMG]

Tried to get a perspective on frame rake at ride height, failed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. rory_a

rory_a
    from Sparks, NV

Thanks, hopefully it turns out holding that position. Some big shoes to fill though.

And really liking the metallic steel/gunmetal blue. Been wanting to use that color for 10 years or so. Bout time I did. Should look bitchen with gloss black wires, gloss black and cast grey suspension, and black and aluminum interior.

11. rory_a

rory_a
    from Sparks, NV

So parts of this project are heading a little OT... I'll keep that content to a minimum, and stick to HAMB-centric updates.

Engine came in last week, only update I'll include on that out of respect for HAMB principals.

[​IMG]

12. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

When you said "Zephyr Shop Truck" ... I thought you meant something like this!

Attached Files:

13. rory_a

rory_a
    from Sparks, NV

I wish I had a Zephyr to cut up, bad ass little truck!

14. SinisterSpeed

SinisterSpeed
    from Reno, NV

Whoa, your name is Rory also, we're both in Reno, and we both build under the name Zephyr Speed Shop? Huh, ironic.. I guess I should have registered the name when I started building under that name in 2006. Oh well, I'm more of just a hobby shop and not a business (I'm a tooth mechanic). Good luck to you on your build/shop, it's a tough industry to make a living on in this area for some reason...

15. rory_a

rory_a
    from Sparks, NV

That is far too crazy. I've only heard of a few other Rorys in Reno, and not for years. I found your build thread on hear a couple months back when a FaceBook fan asked if I was the one with the silver A coupe - had to do some digging to find it, had never thought to look on the HAMB for the name. The coupe's an awesome car, have you done anything to it since a couple years ago when you were changing out the grill?

Is the dark grey 33-34 "Zephyr Speed Special" yours as well?

I've been building air cooled VWs for years as a hobby, and used a few different names for various cars without going official, felt it was time to take a stab at the long-term dream.

16. vdubluv247

vdubluv247

17. rory_a

rory_a
    from Sparks, NV

Thanks vdubluv.

I was in a rush to close up the shop and get home, but managed to take a couple pics of one frame rail. Made a set of formed kickups, plug welded and butt welded them on. Also finished profiling both rails from the cowl forward. Will get on welding them up next week, then on to hanging suspension.

Since my engine is so light I decided to shrink the front rails down to 2". I think I might have gone to far though :( we will see. If it doesn't look right once the suspension an engine are in place, I'll remake them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Any updates on this ?

19. I'm late to the party,guess I missed it the first time around.

This style truck reminds me of the one the Rudy Rodriguez built several years ago. HRP

Rudy-rodriguez-1935-ford-bobber-truck.jpg

20. racer_dave

racer_dave

Interesting... time to subscribe...