Register now to get rid of these ads!

S10 5Speed...WTF?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by henryj429, Nov 20, 2013.

1. henryj429

henryj429

I pulled the old 98 S10 into the shop today to extract the trans for the tailshaft. This would be for the T5 going behind the hemi in my 37 pickup.

Instead of a T5, I found some other type of 5 speed. It is a humungous thing, 33" long with an integral bell housing and much larger than a T5. It looks like major overkill for the dinky little 4 cyl engine. Obviously I have to find another tailshaft,so my question is this: is that trans useful for anything? Can it handle any amount of power? Worth pulling for a future project?

2. 1955IHC

1955IHC

You most likely pulled the transmission out of a 4.3 V6 S10 which never came with a T5. What you have is an NV3500. I would hold on to it for a future project. I'm actually looking for one myself. There are two versions used in only 4.3 S10's the pre '97's have the shifter in the same location as a T5. '98 and up have a more rearward shifter location. There is also a version used in fullsize Chevy/GMC trucks but it has a much lower first gear. None of them ever came with a manual speedometer drive. There's also a Dodge version.

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  3. The 4 banger S-10s came with a tranny that had an integral bell housing. They only fit...you guessed it--2.5 litre chevy S-10 4 banger engines. Sorry.

4. hotrod0317

hotrod0317

DAMN! if it was a NV4500 Id offer you some cash for it.

That transmission should be an M50 close ratio so that is good. They are a real PITA to rebuild over other transmissions. They are good for somewhere around 250 maybe 300 or so torque before they start failing. I dont know of anyone using that trans right now for anything exciting.

5. 1955IHC

1955IHC

These are the S10 NV3500.

Attached Files:

6. henryj429

henryj429

Mine certainly isn't a NV3500. It appears that I have the fairly useless 4cyl only trans. Dang!

7. gwarren007

gwarren007

I thought the 2.2's had the NV1500

8. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

I have a NV3500 in my hot rod, but its the one out of a 4.3L s-10. the 2.2 S-10 tranny is useless

9. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

If it is a 151 cu. in. (half a 302, 4" bore 3" stroke) cross flow 4 cyl. iron duke motor and 5 speed, you got a pretty cool motor trans for something! I have one in a Camaro. Chris

10. 1955IHC

1955IHC

The S10's never came with an Iron Duke.

11. lorollinls

lorollinls
    from TN

i concur, if it is out of a 98+ 4cyl, it is an NV1500. I've pulled mine out a couple of times. Unfortunately though, it will only fit the 2.2 4cyl's, can't swap bell housings or anything.
    <mytubeelement data="{&quot;bundle&quot;:{&quot;label_delimitor&quot;:&quot;:&quot;,&quot;percentage&quot;:&quot;%&quot;,&quot;smart_buffer&quot;:&quot;Smart Buffer&quot;,&quot;start_playing_when_buffered&quot;:&quot;Start playing when buffered&quot;,&quot;sound&quot;:&quot;Sound&quot;,&quot;desktop_notification&quot;:&quot;Desktop Notification&quot;,&quot;continuation_on_next_line&quot;:&quot;-&quot;,&quot;loop&quot;:&quot;Loop&quot;,&quot;only_notify&quot;:&quot;Only Notify&quot;,&quot;estimated_time&quot;:&quot;Estimated Time&quot;,&quot;global_preferences&quot;:&quot;Global Preferences&quot;,&quot;no_notification_supported_on_your_browser&quot;:&quot;No notification style supported on your browser version&quot;,&quot;video_buffered&quot;:&quot;Video Buffered&quot;,&quot;buffered&quot;:&quot;Buffered&quot;,&quot;hyphen&quot;:&quot;-&quot;,&quot;buffered_message&quot;:&quot;The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.&quot;,&quot;not_supported&quot;:&quot;Not Supported&quot;,&quot;on&quot;:&quot;On&quot;,&quot;off&quot;:&quot;Off&quot;,&quot;click_to_enable_for_this_site&quot;:&quot;Click to enable for this site&quot;,&quot;desktop_notification_denied&quot;:&quot;You have denied permission for desktop notification for this site&quot;,&quot;notification_status_delimitor&quot;:&quot;;&quot;,&quot;error&quot;:&quot;Error&quot;,&quot;adblock_interferance_message&quot;:&quot;Adblock (or similar extension) is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add this url to adblock whitelist.&quot;,&quot;calculating&quot;:&quot;Calculating&quot;,&quot;waiting&quot;:&quot;Waiting&quot;,&quot;will_start_buffering_when_initialized&quot;:&quot;Will start buffering when initialized&quot;,&quot;will_start_playing_when_initialized&quot;:&quot;Will start playing when initialized&quot;,&quot;completed&quot;:&quot;Completed&quot;,&quot;buffering_stalled&quot;:&quot;Buffering is stalled. Will stop.&quot;,&quot;stopped&quot;:&quot;Stopped&quot;,&quot;hr&quot;:&quot;Hr&quot;,&quot;min&quot;:&quot;Min&quot;,&quot;sec&quot;:&quot;Sec&quot;,&quot;any_moment&quot;:&quot;Any Moment&quot;,&quot;popup_donate_to&quot;:&quot;Donate to&quot;,&quot;extension_id&quot;:null},&quot;prefs&quot;:{&quot;desktopNotification&quot;:true,&quot;soundNotification&quot;:true,&quot;logLevel&quot;:0,&quot;enable&quot;:true,&quot;loop&quot;:false,&quot;hidePopup&quot;:true,&quot;autoPlay&quot;:false,&quot;autoBuffer&quot;:true,&quot;autoPlayOnBuffer&quot;:true,&quot;autoPlayOnBufferPercentage&quot;:42,&quot;autoPlayOnSmartBuffer&quot;:true,&quot;quality&quot;:&quot;default&quot;,&quot;fshd&quot;:false,&quot;onlyNotification&quot;:true,&quot;enableFullScreen&quot;:true,&quot;saveBandwidth&quot;:false,&quot;hideAnnotations&quot;:false,&quot;turnOffPagedBuffering&quot;:true}}" event="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement data="{&quot;loadBundle&quot;:true}" event="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>

12. gwarren007

gwarren007

*goes outside and checks my truck*

Your wrong.

[​IMG]

13. txturbo

txturbo

:D. Ahhh....it has to be true....it has a decal. :D

14. DoubleJ52

DoubleJ52
    from Belton, MO

A 98 S-10 doesn't have a 2.5 4cyl, it's a 2.2 liter. Earlier S-10's definitely have 2.5 engines in them.

15. Perrorojo

Perrorojo

16. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Was called a "Tech Four" in the S series trucks. I had one in a '85 S-15.

Blue

17. 1955IHC

1955IHC

The Tech IV is what came in the S10. Based off an Iron Duke but not an Iron Duke.

18. gwarren007

gwarren007

The Iron Duke (also called the 2500, 151, Pontiac 2.5, and Tech IV...

The 153 engine is entirely different from the later Pontiac 151-cubic-inch (2.5 L) Iron Duke, but the two are often confused today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_153_4-cylinder_engine

19. the early chevy 2's had the 153 and even the amc's had it. heard some postal jeeps did also.

20. RatPin

RatPin

A crooked decal to boot. Nice!

21. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Well it must certainly be true because Wikipedia said so.:D

22. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

FOR THE RECORD......(and believe me or don't; I don't give a shit if you don't want to know the truth!), S-10s were available with 2.5s through the end of the original square body design (1993). T-5s lingered as late as '95 in some S-10s, but the last 2 or 3 years were WC transmissions with a Ford style bolt pattern....why, I don't know.

23. If this;
    [​IMG]

is the one you have - it is an NV1500. 96-2003 2.2 L LN2/L43 Vortec 2200 I4 only

24. I have seen early S10 pickups with 4 cyl and T5.

25. Rindy

Rindy
    from 43351

FWIW, I had an '86 S-10 that I bought new, it definitely had the Iron Duke 151" 4, and a 5-speed which I am almost certain was a T-5.

26. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

FOR THE RECORD, it has be recorded that HEATHEN needed to SET THE RECORD that HE DOES NOT GIVE A SHIT IF YOU DO NOT WANT THE TRUTH.

Hahahah!!

27. Kansas2517

Kansas2517

Hey guys, I have been lookin all over for a website to find a 1990-1995 s10 T5 manual transmission. Does anyone have any companies I can contact or websites I can look at?

28. nobux

nobux

car-part.com

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seems like it should be a common wrecking yard item as there is very limited market for them but I'd bet a guy could find engine and trans from the S-10 frame swap brigade as they consider them pretty well useless unless they find out you are looking for one before they stick a price on it.