Register now to get rid of these ads!

"River Find"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shop teacher, Nov 20, 2013.

1. shop teacher

shop teacher

Just on the news up here in Minnesota: some police were doing a side scan sonar and found what they believe is a model T in the river by Winona MN. it is in about 20 feet of water covered in mud. Anybody have any scuba gear? They are waiting for the spring - about 6 months from now , to dive down to it.

2. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Not much left of that car....

3. i have scuba gear , but i'm not going in. i went to college in Winona and trust me when i say that there is a LOT of stuff in the Mississippi.

when i was about 14 and in the Boy Scouts i discovered a T sedan and a `34 sedan along the Mississippi in the Lake city area. they were in a area that was not very accessible...steep banks and a lot of brush and trees. i went back about 15 years ago and they are still there...but not much left

4. uncle buck

uncle buck

brrrr. it sounds like they have the right idea by waiting til spring.

5. When I was in my teens my grandfather used to tell me about a T-era car rolling off a ferry into the Tennessee river. He even knew the man's name that it belonged to though I've forgottn it forty + years later. There's a bridge now just below where the ferry used to cross. I always think about that car down there when crossing it, wondering what make it actually was and what it looks like now.

6. cavman

cavman

Several years ago they (the state of MN) replaced the old Winona bridge across the Mississippi river. Someone took pictures of the old bridge before they tore it down. When compared to pictures of the bridge when it was new, they discovered one of the center pilings was gone. They found it in the river, where it landed when it broke away from the bridge. When it fell no one knows. If anyone who used this old bridge remembers how it shook and swayed. l My wife hated crossing it.

Just a bit of old info.......

7. cavman....i'm not aware of them replacing the bridge at Winona , but it's been a few years since i've been there so i could be wrong. i do know they replaced the bridge at Kellogg recently...the old one was a piece of crap. could you be thinking of that one?

8. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

Ah yes, many memories of the rivers near the cities. I still recall one night on a small home made pontoon (barrels)boat near the Ford dam when we hit a bloated dead cow and jammed the prop, didn't shear the pin but killed the outboard. Had to take turns holding your breathe going aft and trying to cut it loose.

9. cavman

cavman

My mistake 36 3 w, what I meant to type was Wabasha. Got them confused

10. voigtcjva

voigtcjva
    from london

There's a bridge now just below where the ferry used to cross.[​IMG]

11. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I find them occasionally while I'm working along the river.
    Found parts of a TT last winter, and an early Dodge wood spoke rear wheel the year prior.

[​IMG]

12. luke13

luke13

wow that still looks really usable.

13. i got them confused too......it was the one at Wabasha i was thinking about. that old bridge was a piece of crap

14. interesting to see how this t's gonna look when you guys pull it out. "ran when parked" right?

15. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

This post poses more questions than are answered.

What were the police looking for with the sonar equipment?

The fact that they plan to dive down to it in the spring leads me to believe they may be looking for a crime scene? Maybe looking for remains?

16. cavman

cavman

From what I understand, training lessons for underwater rescue. The use of sonar to locate sunken cars and such. My guess would be that it was either pushed off the bridge above, or it fell off a barge. It was missing the wheels on one side also. I'm sure if it has an ID# or lic. plate, they will do some more digging. No pun intended. :)

17. shop teacher

shop teacher

Anyone know how to wash a "River Find" ?