Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Christian Bros Racing

Christian Bros Racing

Well, whether Bill got that car back, never got rid of it, what have you... I'm keeping all theories open! :)

I just want to rehash some info I've posted over the years...for some newer members on here and just to keep it fresh.

Here is what Jim Barillaro's son - Jim Jr., told me after he had the chance to ask his dad about it...

"The story was that Mercury wanted Chrisman to drive the white 64' AFX car. Chrisman didn't want to drive the car because it was a gas job with a 4 speed and he couldn't because of his legs. I think he got hurt in one of the Howards twin bear dragsters and he told Mercury he couldn't shift the 4 speed. So Chrisman and Fran Hernandez contracted Shrewsberry to drive the white 64' AFX car. Chrisman was a dragster pilot so he built the 64 white car with the blown nitro wedge 427 with a direct drive unit so it was like driving a dragster. This was the begining of the Funny Car. The car was rebodied in 65 and the engine was moved back and it got the new for 65 427 SOHC. The 64 Afx car was basically just a regular AFXer that was sponsered by Sachs & Sons Lincoln Mercury and driven by Bill Shrewsberry. From what my dad said the 2 cars were a totally seperate deal from each other. The Nitro car didn't even have a class to race in and actually ran against some diggers in the early days. This was all about Mercury doing marketing and selling cars. The story about the AFX car going to the ford dealer in Ohio was the exact same story my dad understood. Hope this helps a little but YES there was 2 white 64 comets sponsered by Sachs & Sons Lincoln Mercury.
    Thanks, Jim "

Now the lead-in to my story... The car was sold to Jimmy Lawson, owner of a L-M dealership located in Ironton, Ohio. From here, some local boys were recruited to race this beast, The Gustin Brothers.
    Here's a link to an interview with Roger Gustin, he makes mention of the Comet.

http://www.dragracingonline.com/innerview/vii_9-rogergustin-1.html

My uncle and dad acquired the Comet after it ran its course over in Ironton. They brought it across the river over into Kentucky and ran it there for a few years, my dad then sold it to a gentleman in eastern KY and thats where it ends.

My dad still visits Roger Gustin time to time, Roger has stated he would like to have it back as well. Hopefully I can get to it first.

Again, here are the only 2 pictures I have of it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

We ALL love a Comet Comet story, one that has history to it!!

These were from CHRR, yet another drink and racefest. For obvious reasons, the Comet and AFX crew drank the place dry:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Nice day here in motown today and had some time to finally get my steel wheels on.Been wanting to change the look of the car for awhile.

[​IMG]

4. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Myron that looks really cool!! Your mags look great too, but whole different feel to the dog dish look.......nice car...Al

5. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Thanks Al.I'm pretty happy with the look.Lot's of options out there!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  6. 65COMET

65COMET

Notice the empty jar on Dale's fender in post #7253,there WAS a slice of pear on the bottom,Dale finished it off when he killed the contents of that jar!!!The Colorado Gang helped us kill off a few more brain cells by bringing illicit booze into CA. and forcing us to drink it!!!The Colorado Gang left,Dale was nowhere to be found,so I had to fend for myself the rest of the evening,good thing I had my Military training to fall back on!!!! ROY.

7. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

So that's what you guys are burning in those Comets!? No wonder they're so dam quick!:D

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

8. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!:eek:

9. 65COMET

65COMET

Myron;Dale keeps saying he is going to kick my butt on the track!! He may need some "Shine" or a least NITRO in order for that to happen!!! I liked your rims better,I feel poverty caps are for cheaper body styles,not CYCLONES!!But,like I always say,"It is YOUR car",and if you like it that is all that matters!!! ROY.

10. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

I have always preferred slotted mag wheels or American 200S wheels...

Attached Files:

11. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

[​IMG]

ALL INFO PULLED OFF OF WEB-SITE..

Scottsdale 2007
    Consignment # 6793
    VIN: 5J27A515234
    Run # S682

This 1965 Mercury Comet Cyclone BF/X factory drag-car is one of 15 built at Holman Moody Stroope in Long Beach, California, to be used exclusively for Dealership drag racing. Originally purchased new by George Purvis Sr. through his dealership, George Purvis Motors Inc. in Fayetteville, North Carolina.
    This racer comes with all the original paperwork and documentation. In 1999, this piece of automotive racing history was placed in climate-controlled storage. Displayed in Dearborn, Michigan at the 100 year anniversary of Ford Racing. Some of the drivers of the car include:
    -Ronnie Sox of Sox and Martin Fame 5 time world champion, -Harold "Camshaft" Cain of mustang high-rise fame and -Joe Orlando from Deprew, New York, "Go where the action is" comet.
    This car won the Titanium Award at the Super Stock Magazine Light Weight Reunion "Best of Show".
    This is a rare chance to own a piece of racing history.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  12. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

13. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

[​IMG]

ALL INFO PULLED OFF OF WEB-SITE..

HIGHLIGHTS

- B/FX factory lightweight dragster
    - 1 of 15 built, only 9 known to exist
    - Original bill of sale
    - 289 CI, Weber carbs
    - Fiberglass hood, doors, fenders and bumpers
    - Special wheels and tires
    - Lightweight bucket seats
    - Lightweight windows
    - Formerly of the Pat McGroder Factory Muscle Car Collection
    - Advance study vehicle not intended for use on public highways
    DESCRIPTION

After the 427 High Riser Comets mowed down the A/FX competition in 1964, Lincoln-Mercury returned with even more resolve in 1965, broadening its assault with small-block powered Comets targeting the B/FX class. Bill Stroppe Engineering was contracted to build 15 lightweight Comet Cyclones with blueprinted 289 high performance engines and the proven L-M formula for saving weight: fiberglass hood, doors, fenders and bumpers, lightweight plexiglass windows, rudimentary bucket seats and radio, heater and soundproofing deletes. The heart of these cars was the Cobra-proven 289/271 HP small block which, when fitted with optional Weber downdraft carburetion, generated almost 400 horses at 7000 RPM, enough to trailer most competitors and thrill the fans who flocked to watch the FX cars.

Formerly of the prestigious Pat McGroder Factory Muscle Car Collection, this rare 1965 Mercury Comet B/FX factory drag racer is one of the 15 originally built by Stroppe, and one of only 9 now known extant. It is presented in its original configuration, including Borg Warner T10 4-speed, tube headers, traction bars and full racing rubber, in this case mounted on period-correct Cragar SS wheels, an exceptionally rare and valuable artifact from drag racing’s golden Factory Experimental era.

14. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Roy,your absolutely right. Alot of guy's hate the steel wheel look.But,those steel wheel prices are approaching mag wheel prices.It's crazy.They used to be everywhere.Anyway,I really dig the sleeper look.Plus I've been wanting to put the car in a show at HenryFord greenfield village.It's a great weekend show where they prefer stock looking vehicles.Although I could never stomach those stock wheel covers that came on the cyclones.Mine are in storage and will stay there!
    Good luck to Dale.He seems to be getting closer to catching!:eek:

15. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

I don't know how to tell you this but this 65 BFX Comet has been REBODYED not once but TWICE!!! Check to out close my friend!! ~~~AFX DAVE~~~

16. 65afxcomet

65afxcomet

AFXDave , do you know how many of the 65 B/FX 's still survive today ?
    Yes i read how many were said to exist in that post but i'd like your opinion .
    Hamps

17. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

The number of 1965 BFX Comet's that remain is 10. Of those 2 have been Rebodyed with the original parts that could be used. There might be a couple more but they haven't come out of hidding yet! ~~~AFX DAVE~~~

18. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

I found the two B/FX Comets on some auction sites, all the info is from there... What about this one, is it real???

[​IMG]

19. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

I can't tell from looking at the picture! They were all were Red in the beginning, it looks like my neighbor BFX down the street from me, he is one number away from my BFX. If that was the BFX that was in the Mecum Auction last January in Florida it is real! ~~~AFX DAVE~~~

20. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

That's where I found it on the Mecum Auction site...

21. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Hamps, I'm going to speculate that your 65 B/FX - A/FX conversion is one of the undocumented 65 B/FX Comets....what are your plans for the 64? Are you going to put it back to all Ford B/FX specs? The straight front axle that is in it now is a Chevy axle with Chevy spindles. Anything that you pull off of the 64 I would be interested in...even the Chevy stuff. Mahalo,Steve.

Attached Files:

22. 65afxcomet

65afxcomet

Steve , no plans on 64 right now , 65 will be first in line for restoration but that date still undetermined . Rick Kirk confirmed the 65 was a b/fx not an a/fx by serial # back when i first found it in junkyard . It has been mentioned to me that the 65 might be better if put back to b/fx configuration ...... Anybody have any opinions on this ???
    Hamps

23. 65COMET

65COMET

Just my opinion,but unless you have DEEP pockets,returning it to B/FX trim will most likely require a complete rebody as the way the Comet is now it would need almost everything redone/rebuilt,plus you would need to find a small block Ford engine and build it to B/FX specs.Good Luck in which ever way you go!! ROY.

24. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

As you might be aware,your 65 B/FX was converted to A/FX using specs from Dyno Dons 65 A/FX...so essentially you have a Dyno Don clone.Keep it A/FX.

Attached Files:

25. racemad55

racemad55

My friends dad bought a 65b/fx brand new,was called scarlet fever ,upstate new york, friend still has gurney-weslake heads.

26. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

You need Deeper pockets on redoing any of these FX cars. It sounded like the front clip was removed before you acquired the car. If that is what it ran a FE 427! They aren't that bad to build, now if your building a Tricked Out FE that's a differant story! Try and keep the FE type engine even though it was a 289ci 271hp car. People are more impressed with that Big Block Engine these days.
    Does that Comet have a shorten wheel base? If so that's more reson to use a big block. ~~~AFX DAVE~~~

27. 65afxcomet

65afxcomet

Thanks for all your help guys . I believe the car deserves to have a FE back under the hood , its whole history since day one was with 427 . Stroppe installed straight axle and alum. inner fenders , 427 med riser w/webers and t-bird scoop on hood . Earl altered wheel base and added parachute shortly after he received it . I've got a 391 industrial block , bored out to 427 . Tell me is this block worth building or not ??
    Hamps

28. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Those 391 blocks have the same bore as a 390 block. .030 over isn't to bad at the 427 bore of 4.233 or 4.250 is standard Chevy Big Block is a quite big amd thin walls. Use a Sonic Thickness Tester to check the wall thickness before doing anything. If its OK! use Block Filler in the water jacket to stabilize it. Those 391 cranks are the same as a 390 crank except its a steel crank not cast iron. As far as Webers Carbs go they are not cheep! There good on small block engines on big block engine you need the 58 IDA NOT the 48 IDA. ~~~AFX DAVE~~~

29. rawhide427

rawhide427

The 391 truck cranks have a much larger snout which requires the matching timing cover, harmonic balancer and timing gear. The only timing covers I have seen are cast iron and heavy. I am sure that something can be fabbed. The block is basically the same other than the distributor pilot hole which is larger as 361-391 engines used a 5/16" oil pump driveshaft instead of the 1/4" used in car engines.
    thanks and regards, Roland

30. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Roland your right on the 391 crank!. I had my machine work at Modex Crankshaft not far from my place. They turned the snout down, turn the mains
    To -.010 under and reground the journals to a big block Chevy at 2.20 dia. That way I can use the 427 Big Block Chevy Aluminum Rod and a custom piston. I had them do all of the balancing. I also used a after market damper. ~~~AFX DAVE~~~