Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 57 is home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Ha ha ha Brent...I think........ I will pass.

Stogy likes this.
  2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Damn!....we have a hostage scenario unfolding..... That dang tricky Aussie Roo man... is holding my vintage Hedman's hostage!
    I am at a Loss.... Maybe he will trade up for a 6 week old Vegamite sandwich and a coupla of AC-DC LP's!

[​IMG]

Stogy, Max Gearhead and kiwijeff like this.
  3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Isn't that a bit serious with a torch...??? He could take a wire cutters to those plastic ties and they'd release easier than burning them off...!!!

R-

Stogy and kiwijeff like this.
  4. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

I just brought home a black 1957 tudor Custom. What changed in the steering box in '58 if you don't mind me asking? Other than the overall size. My car has an FE in it that somebody put in there pre '74 when it was parked.

Stogy likes this.
  5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

In 58 Ford went with a recirculating ball type steering box... in 57 it was a gear type box.The 58 is a better box with less slop.And yes.. it's physically smaller(not a lot..but some)
    The 58 bolts directly in.
    Another popular swap and pretty much smooth is a 63-64 Galaxie box.. again smaller,with a rag joint.
    This helps with exhaust options....

Roger... the picture was meant as a gag.....:rolleyes:

Stogy and MO_JUNK like this.
  6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I know..I know...I'm not that dense...!!! I get Canadian humour (notice how I spelled that...???)...!!!

Have you read my article in Canadian Hot Rods mag...???

R-

Stogy and Jeff Norwell like this.
  7. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Not as of yet.I will look for it.

Stogy likes this.
  8. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

Sedan posts rule !

Stogy likes this.
  9. Rochie

Rochie

Jeff,
    Have you received your Christmas copy of CHR yet. The article on Dixson's 57 will give you a good idea of one set of factory colours.
    See if you'da come down to the ELTA you coulda' seen it there! And had a beer...No what I mean

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    Stogy and Jeff Norwell like this.
  10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I agree!

Not of as yet Wayne.... You are a cruel cruel man.
    That Dixson's 57 is one mean Mutha...Any chance it will make a repeat performance?

Stogy likes this.
  11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rooman rules. Dig the digger rails, would love to visit his shop.

Stogy likes this.
  12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I am a Chevrolet guy, but I do appreciate other makes and models, and the 1957 Ford is right there at the head of the line. I especially like the the model posted by A Rodder. The plainer the car, the better I like it. As far as your 57 goes, I'm thinking Gunfighter; the same model was used to construct that altered wheel-base drag car. And that set of headers about to be torched; probably the most unusual set of tubes I've seen; could they possibly be a Hedman Headers product from the early 60's? Butch/56sedandelivery.

Stogy likes this.
  13. rooman

rooman

Thanks, the upper frame in the photo is Eernie Broughten's Commanche Don Long clone and the lower on is Bob Buckley's 392 hemi 200" fed. If you are in the Indy area you are welcome to stop by at any time.

Roo

Stogy likes this.
  14. Rochie

Rochie

Jeff,
    Yep, we got Bob hooked on ELTA. He's coming back with his brother Al who also has a SOHC 57 Ranchero. Don't forget, only the August Bash next year no Fall get together.
    Here's another bit of insertion. Built in Windsor by the Gramada Brothers

Attached Files:

Stogy and kiwijeff like this.
  15. Wildman1, yah, they made Fords in 57, they outsold Chevrolet, were NASCAR Champions, won the Pikes Peak Hill Climb and the 56 Fords won the NASCAR championship too. I think 57 was a great year for all cars.

Stogy likes this.
  16. [​IMG]

Not a day goes by i didnt miss this one. Now living in the downunder

Stogy, LOWDUG37, Sky Six and 5 others like this.
  17. robertsregal

robertsregal

Great lookin car and I like the Black widow idea of a sleeper car! Keep the progress info and pics coming!!

Stogy likes this.
  18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Yes Butch, the Gunfighter was a post sedan car.
    The headers are indeed a early 60's Hedman Header that was available in the early 60's … at that time,this was a very popular swap.I could use a set of Crites or FPA headers.. but this old set of Hedmans fits the era.I am sure they don't perform like a new modern set. but I would rather use the vintage stuff.

Stogy likes this.
  19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Well.. been a while an lots have happened.Mostly collecting parts on the 57and keeping busy.but then last summer this happened.....

While perusing the classifieds I found another 57 300 sedan....a 300 custom that was too interesting to pass up......called the gentleman(Michael Thomas) of Iowa and he had a 300 Custom,with a 460 BB/C6/ for sale.From the pics it looked good... so I took a faith in humanity and sent a deposit .....
    Made it to Corn country on July 4th last year and was happy at the results...... the body was decent but needed the usual patches... (Rockers,rear quarter areas)... no big deal... but what really got me was the fact it was a factory heater delete car(I love that kinda cool stuff.)
    The seller was having health issues and made a decision to unload his cars.
    Along with a running car was a complete parts car and all the 57 Custom parts I could carry. best.jpg

20. :) .... about time ! Corncopcoupe, Moriarity and Paul are running circles around you and GWhite, per Moderator projects. Flame the torch Captain !! :D:D

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    Stogy, Moriarity and Jeff Norwell like this.
  21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

When I got home.I had time to take stock of what I had.The car was a runner..... good shape....but EXTREMELY Dirty.I named it the Iowa Dirty Bird.
    Gave it a good cleaning and it became clear I made a happy purchase....I had to repair the exhaust,needed a good tune.new wires,plugs oil n filter I had to replace the fuel lines and a pal of mine Trevor rebuilt the Holley.....
    Replaced the entire fuel system and the crud inside it,New tank,lines and pump....Car runs awesome..190 degrees at all times and 50 pounds oil pressure all day.....
    All the brakes were just done,new rad,car has posi..... and like I mentioned.all the parts I could carry and a parts car filled with sheet metal....
    IMG_7644.jpg ----

IMG_8775.jpg

wheeldog57, treb11, OahuEli and 7 others like this.
  22. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Parts of Joy.....

IMG_8308.jpg IMG_7270.jpg IMG_4879.jpg

MO_JUNK, Stogy, mgtstumpy and 3 others like this.
  23. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

A good parts car came with everything...filled with rockers,rear quarters dashes etc,etc,..

IMG_4723.jpg 20160514_125725.jpg

Attached Files:

OahuEli, koolkemp, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  24. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

hahahahah

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

So it cleaned up pretty good..and the old hillbilly exhaust was replaced as well.....
    IMG_0648.jpg 57F 02.jpg 57F 01.jpg

LOWDUG37, OL 55, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  26. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Over the past 6 months....repairing all the interior,painted,sound deadener,new bench and now in the process of making new door panels....New gauge cluster and re-wired the car.
    SEAT 01.jpg REAR ROOF 01.jpg REAR FLOOR 001.jpg 57-460 01.jpg FRONT FLOOR 01.jpg ACFLOOR 001.jpg

OahuEli, LOWDUG37, OL 55 and 3 others like this.
  27. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

It cleaned up well,runs and drives anywhere...and the line-loc is fun.

OVER ALL 01.jpg

28. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

So.... back to the Original 57 ...I have begun working on that now..... and last fall i get a call from a pal in sudbury who ask if I was looking for a BB Ford Drivetrain.......
    "Who isn't."

Long story short.. some dude got into some bad action and had to sell.... a complete 66 428... fresh out of the shop...I snatched it all...cheap.....

20160608_140825.jpg 20160608_140930.jpg

OahuEli, 57 300, OL 55 and 5 others like this.
  29. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

So I just heard it on a dyno today... very good numbers on the Torque and HP fronts..... a real ass kicker... gonna run a NOS 406 tri-power induction.and a wide ratio top loader 4 speed behind it....ready for insertion... this should be fun.....
    428 01.JPG 428 02.JPG

OahuEli, 40FORDPU, Malcolm and 13 others like this.
  30. Just found and read this thread up to here.
    Now those IG pics make sense.
    Nice work as usual.
    I've never seen black sound deadner before, it looks better than the usual silver stuff.

Jeff Norwell and chryslerfan55 like this.