Register now to get rid of these ads!

I think chevy wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mcmopar, Nov 18, 2013.

1. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I found a set of these wheels at my dads, and was going to use them. When looking at them, I noticed that they were 8" wide not 7" like normal. They are 5 x 4 3/4 bolt pattern. I am not going to use them, because of how wide, but what are the off of?

Attached Files:

2. Branded

Branded

Corvette started using the 15x8 ralley wheel in 1969, prior to that they used the 15x7 ralley on the Corvette.

3. 26Troadster

26Troadster

yes vette wheel.

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Should be a 2 letter code somewhere around the valve stem that would tell you what year.

5. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

like a j and a k
    jk

:cool:

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Something like that.I dont know the codes.

7. slowmotion

slowmotion

Not Hamb friendly, but yes 8" is Vette. Got several sets around here, popular on OT stuff.

8. The offset dosn't look right for an 8" Vette wheel. Are you measuring correctly from inside to inside or the entire width of the wheel measured on the outside ? It dosn't appear to be deep enough to be 8" but it could be a trick of the camera too. 7" is much more common used on Malibu, Monte Carlo, El Camino, Camaro & others for many years beginning in 1967.

9. slowmotion

slowmotion

I thought that too...

10. Look for the code next to the valve stem hole ... its not "KH", that stands for Kelsey-hayes, and then search "Chev Ralley Wheel codes" .... if it doesn't say "KH" then it is probably a knock-off.

11. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

There are a number of codes for the Corvette "style" rally wheels. The 1969 thru '82 8 inch Corvette wheels have an AZ code. The most commonly found wheel are the 1970s Monte Carlo and Chevelle 15x7s and there code is FW. The '68 Corvette Rally wheel is a 15x7 as well but has a different offset and takes the 68-82 8 inch beauty ring. The '68 Corvette rally wheel has an AG code.

There are be letters and numbers stamped into each side of the valve stem. The first character is the manufacturer, then plant and date code then the wheel application code. The wheel code designateing usage are the last 2 letters on the right side of the stem as you face the wheel.

Rim width is measured fom inside bead to inside bead. Not outer lip to outer lip.

Attached Files:

12. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

The code is FW, I measured lip to lip. Are these things a dime a dozen?

13. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

FW's are the most common rally wheel, but there are people still want them. It might be worth about $50-75.

14. Branded

Branded

A lot of the rally wheels are bent also from abuse over the years. Put them on a spin balancer and check radial run out.