Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally bagging the 1953 Cadillac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by _charles_, Nov 20, 2013.

1. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

[if you believe bags are for groceries, please move on]

I've shared and I've learned from many on here, time for me to share some more.

Background:
    I have a 1953 Cadillac that I had originally rebuilt the 331 (at great expense), but continued to have problems with. I replaced it with a 2008 5.3l Vortec EFI, and 4L65E tranny. She now drives reliably...but stopping, not so much. I had her lowered on Jamco Springs, but they obviously were not meant for this car. Of course...I love the low...so airbags it will be!

Of course, the front suspension and steering was worn, and she had drum brakes, and the original single chamber, non powered boosted, Flintstone style braking, so we decided to just go ahead and subframe her. The chassis of choice? A GM B-Body. We looked for a 94-96 Impala SS (Rear discs), but settled on a running 1994 Buick Roadmaster for $900.

I'll post some pictures in a few minutes. This project is underway, so there is more to come.

2. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Patiently waiting.

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

OK, it's been almost an hour...your "few minutes" are up (unless your minutes are different in length than mine), let's see some pictures...

R-

4. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

It's giving me hell uploading them to the site, so after lunch I'll upload them to my server and post them. I won't leave you hanging too long, LOL.

5. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

Ok, Some pictures! Here she sits a few weeks before dropping her off. She was lowered on Jamco springs.
    [​IMG]

Here she is with the Donor 1994 Buick Roadmaster. Got it for $900, and she still ran! Yes, we did a few burnouts before we took her apart!
    [​IMG]

6. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

Separating the Buick.
    [​IMG]
    Time for the '53[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

Test fitting the wire wheels. They fit! We are also using the Buick's rear end.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

Cutting time!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that is where she is at as of about 45 minutes ago...

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thanx for the large pix...I hate having to clik and enlarge...

So, the question is: Will you need to shorten the Buick chassis...or have to move the rear end forward...??? Is the track width OK...the tires won't hang outside the wheelwells...???

R-

10. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

Just using the front clip and rear axle of the Buick. Not using the whole frame. Track width is very comparable. I don't know the front numbers off the top of my head, but the rear-end is about a 1.5-2" difference (Buick is narrower than the '53 Caddy).

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I would have never guessed the Buick rear-end would be narrower...!!! I'd have lost money on that bet...!!! Thanx...

So the Jamco springs gave you too harsh a ride...???

R-

12. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

The ordered the 3" drop front/rear, and when it was installed, it dropped the car more than that. Didn't take long to blow out the shock it was so low. That, and I am in to the whole airbag/lowrider type of car. I loved mini-trucks, yet never owned one...so this is my chance to finally do something like this.

BTW, I see we now have Traditional, and Traditionally Styled sub-forums...odd. I wouldn't call this traditional, to say the least, but the best people I have met are from this website...so I consider this my home away from home, and the people here family.

13. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

14. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Uhhh, no, I'm "traditional" minded...I don't do facebook (or any other social site), and would you believe, I don't even own a cell phone...this is the only forum I visit...

Your car has late model stuff, therefore you are on the "Traditionally styled" sub-forum...even tho the year of your car would fit into the "Traditional" site...

Have you seen my '55 Caddy build...??? If you haven't be prepared to spend a few hours reading and looking at build pix...go here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329070&highlight=the+best+55+caddy+build

R-

15. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

Yes, I remember your build. I drooled at every post! I was much more active back in 2007-2010. Been too busy the last few years, back then, we didn't have this "traditionally styled" division. I don't mind it though. There are more modified 50's Cadillac here than anywhere else that I have seen. A lot of great info!

16. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Both of you have fantastic cars.
    Seeing this now I think mines not finished even more, I need to bring it down a bunch.

17. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love that 53! Can't wait to see the end result!

18. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

looks awesome..subscribed

19. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

20. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl