Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Banker Brother's 32's

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

they are both bitchn 32's, cant believe the early proper use of airbags.. layin frame aint trad

3. That's uber cool
    You can tell by his haircut, Larry was
    the wild man out of the two.

4. In 1961 I entered my RPU in it's first show. The first Winternationals show, in Pomona. At this show was Larry Banker's sedan with a for sale sign on it. The price? A whopping $1295! Dad fell in love with the car and bought it on the spot. Larry was thrilled. he had his first child on the way and really needed the money. What the HRM article does not say about the air bag rear suspension is that the car was squirrely as hell. The back end felt mushy and the wheel hop was terrible. The car had a dropped axle with full length split bones in front, and a pretty bad case of bump steer. Within a month of buying the car, Dad took it out to Frank Kurtis' shop. Frank engineered a nice semi elliptic rear spring set up and built a beautiful set of hair pins for the front that were the same length as the drag link. The changes made the car a dream to drive. A year later my brother Jack got his license, and began driving the sedan. Jack had a pretty heavy foot, and the tired old '57 motor broke the flange off the crank. A 375 horse 327 long block replaced the old 302. I saw the sedan at the GNRS two years ago. 50 years later it looks remarkably the same. The Greg Schifano interior looks like it was just installed. Brought a smile to my face remembering cruising it down highway 39 to Balboa in the summer with 3 of my buddies having the time of our lives. :)

Here's a shot of the sedan in our driveway about 6 months after Dad bought it.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=3063&pictureid=25145

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013

5. Here's a shot of the sedan in our driveway about 6 months after dad bought it.

[​IMG]

6. Nobey

Nobey

Wow Dean what a story. Thanks for sharing.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

8. Great stuff Ryan and Dean. Love the history lesson.

9. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Sweet! And Dean thanks so much for the additional story!

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Dean... You never stop amazing me.

Dean Lowe likes this.
  11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

That's amazing Dean.

12. That is amazing.
    Anyone know where the coupe ended up?

13. oldthudman

oldthudman

Very nice Deuce Coupe!!!!!!.........

14. NoSurf

NoSurf

15. A note on why Larry chose to build the Fordor. He wanted to build a '32, and while there were Tudors, and most other style '32 bodies pretty readily available in the late 50's, the Fordor was in a neighbor lady's garage in Glendora. Her husband had bought the car new, and was the only driver in the car's history. When he died, the lady just left his car in the garage, for 20 years! Larry told Dad "the damn thing was so perfect, I had to build it". I talked to Greg Schifano about the sedan when I had him upholster my RPU. He told me that body was so perfect, every piece of wood in it was like the day it left the factory. The 1" drain holes in the body, back by the rear fenders, still had the factory corks in them, and "Ford" was still legible on one end!

16. Love it when an interesting post morphs into an incredibly interesting post. Thank you both.

17. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Neat storys.

18. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Walt's 3 window now belongs to a guy in my neighborhood. Unfortunately you wouldn't recognize it.

19. ml_engr

ml_engr

Awesome story gets even better...love it

20. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

Was that the Schifano's Interiors in Arcadia? I had Schifanos upholster my 58 Plymouth hardtop around 1965. Black tuck and roll, I think it cost $300 (a lot for a kid making $1.27/hour at Temple City Auto Parts after school).

21. Not bad getting trumped when Dean does it huh!? ;)

Thanks for fleshing the story out Dean!

22. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Cool cars, amazing story. There are guys who don't even know about the Jalopy Journal blog, and I can't believe what they're missing.

23. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I know this has nothing to do with the cars but. When I see old photos from the old hot rod days I have to notice how thin everyone was. Back in the 50s when I was a kid there was not too many heavy kids. What happened?

Ago

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

America got "soft".............too much food (the wrong kind) and too little exercise. When our fathers/grandfathers came home from WWII and seeing how the rest of the world basically had very little in the way of luxury they went about building the most prosperous nation the world has ever know and in the process spoiled their children and grandchildren with an easier lifestyle that didn't require the physical output that past generations had to utilize. RESULT, THE FATTEST LEAST PHYSICALLY FIT NATION ON EARTH.

Frank

25. flamingokid

flamingokid

In the late 80s,I was showing the Cord at the local car shows in Omaha.There was a pair of brothers that showed their 32s ,one being a roadster,the other a fordoor.Both of those cars were beautifully executed with SBC's,Jaguar front ends...just a pair of jam up cars.Those 2 cars bring back a lot of memories.

26. This place never stops amazing me! Dean, thanks for your input, in addition to Ryan's great post.

27. Ryan - What a great "PAIR OF DEUCES"! ... Thanks for this post!

28. Dean Lowe -

Great story on the Fordor ... Thanks for sharing!

Here's a small pic of the Banker Brothers Deuces at that '61 Winternationals show:

Banker Brothers Deuces @ '61 Winternationals show.JPG
    click thumbnail to enlarge

29. Pete Eastwood -

Bummer :( ... What is it now? ... a '70s Resto Rod? ... an '80s-'90s Easter Egg Street Rod? ... or ????

... and on a somewhat related note, whatever became of your Deuce 3-window?:

P-Wood '32 3wd.jpg
    click thumbnail to enlarge

30. Sure was. The interior Greg did in my RPU was $250, including the top and tarp on the bed! Must have been quality material. The only part to be replaced in the restoration will be the carpet.