Register now to get rid of these ads!

need a transmission for this odd 50's V-8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barn Find, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

So, I have a pair of these 327 Nash Fireballs. They are coming out of a 1958 Chris Craft. They are 225 hp engines. This one (the one that rotates in an automotive direction) is freshly overhauled. I like the dual carbs and mechanical tach drive. (I hate the yellow spark plug wires.)

I need a transmission for a AMC 287or 327 so I can put this to good use.

It just so happened that Diamond T trucks used some Nash sixes in some of there 1950's trucks. That might be all the excuse I need to put this V-8 in my '47 201 pickup.
    [​IMG]

2. I may be wrong,But I thought early pre '60 AMC V 8s used a Ford automatic transmission?

3. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

I like that engine and the combo you're thinking of. Transmission: Borg-Warner?

4. mlagusis

mlagusis

Looks alot like a Y Block...I wonder if there is more to it than appearance or if they interchange???

5. Well getting a hogs head for them is going to be the problem not the transmission. I think that chopods is correct on the transmission.

I would not be afraid to own the reverse rotation motor myself.

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

There actually were some 327 powered 4 speed equipped Marlins, but good luck finding a bell housing from one.

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Check with Bendtsen's in MN..... www.transmissionadapters.com ......they have stuff for many "unusual" engines.....

And, yes, American Motors used Borg-Warner transmissons.......but as said above, the bellhousing could be the difficult part.

Ray

8. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I want a manual trans. Something with overdrive would be optimal, since I'm dedicated to keeping the 4.62 gears and stock Dayton wheels. I have a vintage divorced Brownie I can use if needed, but prefer to keep it for other projects.
    [​IMG]

9. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

Look for Jeeps with the 327. I have one with a T-18/T-98 4 speed.
    They are more common with the 3 speed, which will atleast give you a bellhousing and flywheel.

I have pics and can get measurements if you need.

Jeff.

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

By "Jeeps" I assume you mean the Wagoneer and J-Series trucks as they are the only Jeep vehicles that I recall using the 327 engine............UNLESS.......the 304 V8 equipped CJ's share the block bell housing pattern with the 327. If that were the case though, I wouldn't think Bendtsens would be making adapters for the 327.

11. I'm pretty sure Checker used Chevrolet 250 I6s and 350 V8s. I think the jeep connection would be your best source.
    I've had AMCs with both ford and Chrysler autos.

12. super-six

super-six

If memory serves me correctly, AMC started using Chrysler automatic transmissions in the 1972 models.

13. scrubba

scrubba

Checker Marathon cabs used Continental Flathead sixes up to about 1965. from there , Chevrolet 327 V-8's and Chevrolet 250's and 350's were used . Gearboxes were G M .

scrubba

14. metalman

metalman

Looks like a y-block was the first thing I thought of too, especially with the same style marine intake but admittedly I've never really looked at a 327 Nash.

15. chevyburb

chevyburb

IF you didn't have your heart set on splitting up the set, they would make a great side by side powered dragster.

16. sunbeam

sunbeam

Rambler stayed with inclosed drive line for most of the time they used the 327. Limiting trans choices. Early and late rambler v8 do not have the same bell bolt pattern. Jeep did use 327s through 1968 in pickups and wagoners.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  17. 50ChevyFrank

50ChevyFrank

18. oldolds

oldolds

A big truck would look cool with a Marlin twin stick set-up.

19. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

My Mom's '59 Rambler Ambassador had the 327 and a push button Torqueflight, so there must be some way you could do it...,I think it is the same engine

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Had a girlfriend with a 1957 Ambassador equipped with AMC 327/4bbl and a B-W 3spd with overdrive. Contact a Nash owner's club (or American Motors). They may even have a "for sale" section on their forum.

21. Babyearl

Babyearl

Back in '74,, My brother-in-law bought a Jeep pickup 4 wheel drive with the 327 that had been rolled. I removed the running gear and put it all under his '53 Jeep pickup. He drove that pickup for years around Astoria, Oregon. He called it the War Wagon,, don't know what ever happened to it. Babyearl

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Two thumbs WAY up on keeping the original wheels. But what about brakes?

23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

To the OP:

I have a long time friend who is a very accomplished fabricator/builder who has done two Diamond T trucks. On one of which he swapped a Chevrolet truck 3rd member into the Diamond T axle housing to improve the gearing. As I recall, he made an adapter ring that bolted to the Diamond T housing and drilled the plate for the smaller diameter bolt circle for the GM 3rd member.

So far as I know, and I believe I am correct in this, the Diamond T axle shafts fit the side gears of the Chevy differential without modification and the depth of the housing was correct too. If knowing more about that is of interest to you, I can ask him for more details or, perhaps, you could talk directly with him.

24. sunbeam

sunbeam

A 1959 Rambler used a Ford O Matic which they called a Flashomatic Torqueflite's were not the only transmissions to use push buttons. Info from 1963 Motors manual.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I for one, would love to hear more.

26. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I'll see what he remembers about the swap...but it will be early next week before I will see him.

27. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Finally got to talk with my friend about this. I remembered it incorrectly, as it turns out.

He did install a Chevy truck third member......but....he did not need an adapter ring to do it. The GM and Diamond T housings were near identical in size and shape in the center section. He only had to drill a new set of holes for the mounting studs to match the GM carrier housing pattern.

The axle splines did not match. The GM axles were longer than the Diamond T.....so he machined off the GM flanges......then machined the DT axles, removing the flanges and boring them to accept the GM axle shafts, press fit them, then welded them on the outside of the flange.

His goal was the same as yours, to retain the original DT wheels/ brakes etc, but go to a more user friendly rear axle ratio. However, he said the GM axle assy he had was from an early '70s 3/4 ton van and was a rare find with a 3.70 ish ratio. The GM 3/4 & 1 ton trucks used the same rear end from about 1950 thru about 1972 or so. Most of them are 4.10 or higher, except for some vans and certain pickup power trains.

Sorry this wasn't as easy as I thought......doable, but may be more effort and expense than some alternatives.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  28. Ole don

Ole don

Before you spend time and money on a rear axle, find a tire guy who will replace the tires on those wheels. Most modern tire people will scrap them.

29. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

I have a friend of mine Doug that has a 57 Nash V8 with the auto trans. in a 38 Ford pickup. It has a small 4bll. Carb on it. Works great and is pretty quick. He still has the stock rear end in it so it's probably got some puller gears in it. He did the transplant in the early 60's out of a wrecked car when the flathead wore out.

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thanks for posting this. Really good stuff.