Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1937 to 1942 Willys Picture Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Willys, Jan 15, 2011.

1. hypermung

hypermung

G'day Kenny... My name's Glenn.
    At the moment I live in Townsville, but next year I'm moving back to my home town of Newcastle. Isn't Wild Willys in Morisset?
    Where are you located?
    I was reading your earlier posts about WS, WT, WR body# prefixes with interest as I have been conversing with fellas from the Willys Down Under club to identify what I actually had. WT in my opinion should stand for Willys Tourer....Right?
    The question was put to Ted Robinette (via my Willys club contact), & the answer came back that this was indeed the case, & Ted even commented that there was evidence of a TJR Willys coupe with a WC prefix, so all the above evidence should be true.
    That being said, I have also been emailing another Willys enthusiast named Mick (who co-incidently has the remains of a Hope bodied roadster utility) about my 'Tourer' & he said he has found 3 factory TJR roadster utilitys, all of them in Queensland, & all of them had a WT prefix...!
    After various emails & photos between us, we now both agree that what I have is DEFINATELY a factory roadster utility with all the back gone. The dead giveaway is the rear fenders have little tabs bent down @ 90 degrees to the top for mounting to a slab side (identical to the fenders of the 1937 sedan utility you posted on page 217), whereas a tourer would use sedan or roadster type fenders that bolt upwards into the underside of the body.
    Futhermore, on the rear of both running boards, there are mirror imaged factory pieces (with curved tops) that start 8" behind the trailing edge of the doors.
    8" is much too far for a partially hidden 'B' pillar, & would be about the depth of a ute tub & the curved top would also conform to the curved shape of the tub corners, so the TJR plot thickens....!
    I'll post some pix of what I mean when I download them.
    I'm definitely interested in a nice chassis mate, so I'll see if I can work out how to PM you & we'll get something happening.

Glenn

2. hypermung

hypermung

Here ya go Kenny.
    The first two pictures are of the remains of a factory 37 TJR roadster utility with the corners of the 3 piece back in place.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next pic is of what I have.... See the distance from the back of the doors to the front to the front of the 'factory piece' & the curved top it has?
    Would you agree that this curvature would match the 2 pix above? You can also see the little tabs on the rear fenders for bolting to a slab sided ute back. Remember, this is all factory stuff with a WT body prefix.
    If anyone has any opinions, I'd be glad to hear them.
    [​IMG]

3. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Hi Glenn,

TJR made what ever someone wanted to order back in the day, Your car is a ute if that is how your rear guards are like, the fat fendered (wider) guards are special to only utes, the body would have sat at TJR as a Tourer and then an order would have come through for a roadster ute, easy way to make one is starting with a Tourer, change the back and fit the wider pick up guards to the rear.

I will also PM you buddy. ;)

4. hypermung

hypermung

Thanks Kenny...
    Problem solved & hope to hear from you soon

5. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

No worries Glenn . . . . . . . . .

PM has been sent old mate. :)

6. I think these pics may already be on the thread but this Vic Young's Bad News when it was owned and built by Pat King, then Hank Carellejo who first drove it around Santa Barbara when it was in Primer and then added the red paint. This was during the 80's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. CalGasser

CalGasser

Bad News today. Blown & injected SBC - no dummy injectors...;)

Attached Files:

8. Weasel

Weasel

That has always been such a badass Willys - love the night shot at Char West....

9. CalGasser

CalGasser

Thanks Guido, you got good taste in cars & women! :D

10. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

...willy quik

Attached Files:

11. east coast drag hall of fame 2013

Attached Files:

12. <TABLE style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; WIDTH: 884px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; HEIGHT: 587px" class=tableWrapper><TBODY><TR><TD _dfr>[​IMG] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    KS with Carroll Carter famed ford racer and owner of C&C automotive in Manassas Va.

13. <TABLE style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; WIDTH: 884px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; HEIGHT: 584px" class=tableWrapper><TBODY><TR><TD _dfr>[​IMG] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

14. <TABLE style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; WIDTH: 884px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; HEIGHT: 648px" class=tableWrapper><TBODY><TR><TD _dfr>[​IMG] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Sedans from Indy 1994

15. Weasel

Weasel

Post #439 the aqua or whatever you want to call it, Sedan Delivery phantom belonged to my buddy Jim. It originally came out of WI. He did a lot of work on it and it is a really nice car. Now in MO in believe....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Yea I heard that :D

Weasel remembered you posting now. Just found a bunch of misplaced pictures

17. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

3 duece - 41 glasser

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  18. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

OMG, I think this is the same car when it was white in a picture my dad gave me years ago.

19. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

20. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

What?

21. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

No, well the front end in the photo you took got sold with a truck cab I had, I have a coupe body that now sits on the Globe Pacer frame. The body in the pictures was kept by the owner of the truck I had that was sold with the glass front end you got pictures of as a coupe on the frame I still have. Where the globe Pacer body from the 60's is I have no clue, still have no clue now but when I got my truck cab the guy had the body off of the frame he made into a pro street gasser or was working on doing so at the time but was talking about restoring it to the gasser as it was only with a new frame, but the guy had like 3 Willys coupe on hand when I got the globe pacer frame and the truck I had to sell to buy the 1st replica body out of the mold off of the movie Hot Rod car, door dings and all :D. Any way, yeah...

22. CalGasser

CalGasser

This car was the "Mind Binder", supposed to spell "Mind Bender" when the sign painter spelled it wrong... important to stay in school! :eek: It is now Pro Streeted and belongs to George & Cathy Manolis. This is NOT the Bad News Coupe - that's my car and I've owned it for over 20 years. Stay on the Coupe Chameleon, we need more Willys on the street! :cool: Vic

23. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1385181455.921438.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1385181484.282011.jpg

25. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1385181504.814940.jpg

26. 440 deluxe

440 deluxe

1940 deluxe coupe at greer dragway

Attached Files:

27. Willys gasser

Willys gasser
    from PA.

May you all have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING and keep the photos and info coming!!!

28. hypermung

hypermung

29. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Happy Thanksgiving you bunch of Willynuts! Here is a interesting 41/42 sedan I had seen this summer, nice chop where they removed the quarter windows and laid the rear roof forward to where it blends down nice to the deck lid.

Attached Files: