Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My glass 34 tudor build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BIG-JIM, Nov 27, 2011.

1. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Thanks Man. It's been a lot of work but will be well worth it in the end. No excuse not to work on the hot rods any more once this is done. Actually the wife may never see me again...:D

2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Yeah, the Ron Weeks car had a "trunk" for his need for additional gas....the motor like it's gas....
    Neat car. He was in the "Early Times" and in 1967 took that car to a show in Eugene, Oregon with us.
    Was a pearl blue and and two years later he went with a bronze paint.
    Nasty car that stole a lot of attention wherever it went.
    That car is the very reason why I own a '34 sedan today (with the chop, front bumper and Americans)
    As a 16 year old I was hooked for life.
    In 1969 we all went on a cruise to the Palm Springs Tramway. I was driving my Model A panel truck and Weeks passed me like I was tied to a pole. I saw him coming up behind me in the fast lane to my left and all I got after that was a bronze blur....

Great project, family and garage...:)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  3. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Thanks man. Like I said it's a PITA right now but it will all be worth it in the end. Does he still own that sedan? Is he still with us? I'd love to see some current pictures of it. The only thing sweeter then being passed by a bronze blur would be to be in it and seeing everything else as a blur.

4. LFS11

LFS11

Any updates? Like it so far!!

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Jim, digging the sedan thread. Just stumbled across it tonight. I like the glass body that you have, it shows the firewall nice like an original. I remember one like yours as a kid, it was parked right across from my grade school. Metallic apple green, with true spokes wire wheels. It was cooler than shit, for the 70's.

6. 67coronet

67coronet

Cool Ride! Think I could get the cool chick to help me when your done with her?

7. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

No updates. I've been busy with life. I have done some work to the wife's car though. I suppose I have to pick one to work on. Her's is going to be a lot more fun to play with than mine plus her's is easier. Her's is a fenderless hiboy so no fenders to line up. we can pretty much put stuff where it looks good & run with it. Her car isn't going to be HAMB friendly. Too much shiny stuff.
    This is the look we are shooting for only in 2010 Camaro blue, tunnel ram, no blower, lakestyle headers, & no fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror..LOL
    [​IMG]

This is what we have so far. It isn't much but it is ours..well her's.:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Nice tudor project! Good to see the whole family helping out!

9. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Thanks man. That's why I like it too. It looks stock with it's exposed hinges, working cowl vent, crank out windshield, & rubber coated steel running boards. The filled roof & IFS are the dead giveaway to it being a glass car but to the average person they will never know the difference. I have a set of centurion gatsby 50 spoke wires going on it. The wife talked me out of the trunk and spare tire thing so it will be more hot rod than stock looking. Funny how women can do that to ya. I suppose as long as she lets me have my toys I can give her some say at to what they look like. Seems only right.

10. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Thanks man! Sorry but she is taken...and no she doesn't have a sister.:D She is like a barn find (one in a million shot). Keep lookin they are still out there as they say.

11. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Thanks. I feel truly blessed to have a family that is into cars like I am. Nice coupes you have. Is it true they are cheaper by the dozen?:D

12. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I would have to agree on the luggage box idea, women usually(mostly) have very smart ideas. Sounds like you have a smart one!

13. LFS11

LFS11

Wait what!!!! The mrs rig looks badass as well. You are a lucky man for sure!!!

And I see a riding mower in the pic....I'm starting to dislike you....;).

Enjoy it all.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  14. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

You'd probably really hate me if I told you I just finished my 24X30 garage with 12' ceilings (soon to have a lift), Oh! and it has a heated floor & air conditioning! Just forget I said anything...:D The 33 coupe is replacing her other daily driver we just sold. OT 2001 Impala with flames all over it. Kinda loud for some people but she loved it.
    http://public.fotki.com/BIG-JIM/my-old-33/p1040621bc.html

She told me the other day she missed her baby (the impala) but she knows the 33 will be done soon & she will be having fun again.

15. Looking great! Keep posting pics

16. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

This is where they are sitting now. All the boxes behind her car is her new kitchen cabinets. Yes another project to take me away from the cars.:(
    [​IMG]

17. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Man I'm pissed! Fotki lost all my pictures. It's not like I don't have them backed up but all my posts don't have pictures anymore.:mad: Sorry for the mini rant. It just pisses me off because I pay for the service. Not sure how else to post pictures. Was thinking of making a facebook account to store them all. Been doing a little work on the sedan and hope to post some pix soon. I have a little surprise for you guys. Seems the car is headed in another direction. Hoping to have it on the road early next summer. Can't wait to finally have some fun.

18. You can host all your pictures here if you want. Just add them to your users gallery and when you want to put em in a thread you can just link em. I keep all my board specific pics there.

There is probably a faq on this on the questions suggestions area of the board.

19. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Kool thanks Mark.

20. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

love those chrome bumpers... :D

21. daddio211

daddio211

22. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I have stainless ones for sale if you need them.:D

23. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

24. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Well guy's we have officially changed direction on this build. I have decided to save myself some time and money and go fenderless hi-boy. I figure after selling all the fenders, running boards, bumpers, and a ton of other things I can't use on a fenderless car; I could afford to get some other things done. I will save myself time and money by not having to paint, fit, and body work on all those pesky fenders. And in the process I bumped up the kool factor about 10 points. Unfortunately the mustang II just isn't going to cut it. So cut it I did. As in right out and replaced it with an I beam and split bones. Stay tuned as we get back at it.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

25. daddio211

daddio211

26. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Thanks Daddio! I'm having a blast. I test fit the hood, side aprons, and the headlight today and it all fits pretty good. Not perfect mind you but good enough for now. I'm waitin on the radiator guy to get back to me on how much it will set me back having the radiator chopped 1-1/2". Took the dash apart and relieved it of the dozen or so switches and idiot lights the previous owner had installed....What was he thinking? Sorry I don't want a Christmas tree on my dash.:eek: The headlights are too far forward and I have some headlight/shock mounts that will be here later on today that should put the buckets more towards the center line of the wheel. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment but optimistic. If I can get one thing done a day eventually it will all get done. My wire wheels should be here by the 30th. Then I can start saving up for tires. Now on to some pictures.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

27. Oh hell yeah! :)

28. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

The wife helped me repurpose the steering arms we cut off the 37 spindles. We made tail light brackets out of them. She held 2 MAPP gas torches on them till they were cherry red. Then I got out my "Persuader" (My 3 foot adjustable wrench) and twisted them till they were facing the same direction. I still have to drill and tap the bases and drill out the 7º holes where the tie rods would go.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I had to just grab a bolt and mock it up. I will make a better bolt and spacer setup for the final look. Not too bad if I do say so myself.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Man that thing is looking soooo much better! It's amazing what you can transform a gold chainer glass street rod into! What were people thinking building those ! :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!