Register now to get rid of these ads!

63 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by P-Slinky, Nov 19, 2013.

1. P-Slinky

P-Slinky
    from Chicago

Well let me start this post by re-introducing myself. My name is Pete and I am a custom painter out of Chicago. I am pretty sure I did a full introduction some years ago but have had little participation on this site over the years. I have recently downloaded the H.A.M.B app for my phone and have enjoyed being back on.
    I would like to start a thread on the 63 Caddy I am restoring for my girl with hopes that this helps me to push forward and also document the project.
    A little on the Caddy, it has been an ongoing project for the last 3 years that I usually only have time to work on over the winter months. It started as a $500 project car that we saved from the crusher after it was in a garage fire. After sandblasting the full body I discovered that while the body was pretty much rust free the amount of heat it was in did a lot of damage. Mainly to the roof, as it looked like the fireman walked all over it to put the fire out that was going on around it. Now I do bodywork, but this roof was really messed up. So while searching craigslist we found a rist caddy up in Michigan for $800. Drove up dragged it home and started by cutting the roof off. Before welding it on we decided to take a little out. About 1-1/2 inches out of the rear and 1 inch out of the front. I believe these long cars don't look right chopped too much, but just a little to level the roof line gave me just the stance I was looking for. Over the years I couldn't stop there so as it stands right now some of the other body mods along with the new roof and subtle chop are, fully shaved, extended skirts, and a full airride. I hope to be pushing the car out and putting her in her winter work spot (middle of the garage), in the next week or so. Over the summer I have had the custom steelies made and I have the set of wide whites waiting to be mounted. After I check and make sure that everything is the way I like it I have a month or so on finishing up the bodywork. I can't wait, as the paint job has been in my mind for over 3 years now and I simply can't wait any longer to do this! Here are a few pics of the progress of the project.
    Pete

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

anthony myrick and simpsonrl like this.
  2. P-Slinky

P-Slinky
    from Chicago

Here is a shot of the original car, the day we found it and the donor car on its way back from Michigan.

Attached Files:

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Cool project! I've a '63 Coupe DeVille too, that I dug out of the garage and putzed around a bit with this summer. Good to see another one, these are good looking BIG cars!

Brian

4. falcon-61

falcon-61
    from Chicago

Got one as well but it's back in my home state of ohio and missing parts of the rear bumper so Ive been collecting and hoping for a place with a garage so I can drag it out here and work on it again. I like your idea of chopping it. bold move that I feel really would improve it proportionally. I'd like to see how it's coming along so be sure to post up any other photos you have.

5. P-Slinky

P-Slinky
    from Chicago

Thanks guys! Here are a couple of shots of the new roof line. Atleast to me it was important to do a slight chop. I believe that these cars are simply too long and naturally low to chop them too much. If you know the stock 63 roof line though you know it is slightly higher in the windshield than the rear window. I wanted to level it out a bit, and allow the airride to give it the tail dragger look.
    The bumpers off the donor car were another piece that came in handy, as I was able to use them to remove and fill the license plate mounts.

Attached Files:

6. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

The blue one was the donor? It 'looks' pretty good.

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

And it's the same color blue as mine! I have a spare bumper, it's been so long since I've looked at it I can't remember what it's like… My front one is rusted though at the bottoms of both ends. Seems like the spare rear is tweaked pretty hard in the center.

8. P-Slinky

P-Slinky
    from Chicago

Yes the blue one was the donor, I know what your thinking... looks in better shape than number 1. It is pretty rusted out, being a midwest car. Also had a years worth of work into the original one by the time the parts car got discovered. No rust on the original car, but the amount of heat it was in on top of a harsh sandblasting on the car left almost every piece of metal needing to be worked. Practice makes perfect I guess. It will be worth it in the end the panels are so straight now it is going to be the perfect canvas for a custom paint job.

9. P-Slinky

P-Slinky
    from Chicago

Gaps!

Attached Files:

10. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Looks great!.I am doing a 63 Sedan deVille myself.Its getting done right in my driveway.

11. whooa, this is gonna be a neat car. keep the pics a-coming

12. simpsonrl

simpsonrl

I know this is an old post, I hope you are getting closer to your goal of completing it.
    I have a 1963 series 62 convertible that I plan to work on in the next couple of years. My dad gave it to my mom in 1965.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.