Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How far can I lower a Shoebox?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slow 50, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Slow 50

Slow 50
    from Dallas, TX

I'm trying to find out how far I can statically lower, without major fabrication, my 1950 2dr custom, 351w, 5speed by using de-arched leaf springs (rear) and coil springs (front). Jamco offers up to 4" for the rear and 3" for the front. I would like to go the full 4" in the rear and 3" in the front. Any guidance/pictures will be greatly appreciated!

2. scoTT la rock

scoTT la rock
    from NJ

3. the-rodster

the-rodster

You can go 3 inches in the front no problem

Once you go 4 or more, you will have to notch the inner fenders for clearance.

On the rear, you can go 3-4 inches without much change.

Going more in the rear, and you will have to shorten the bump stops, raise the driveshaft tunnel, and possibly C the frame, etc.

Rich

4. Do a search for threads discussing the aerostar front spring swap. Seems that the jamco drop makes for some pretty uncomfortable driving.

5. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

I did my Customline with Aerostar springs, homemade blocks for the rear and new U-bolts. I got about 3" in the front and did 3" blocks in the back. All in all it cost less than 130 dollars and a few hours of work.

Aeorstar springs will get you about 2-2.5" but they will settle a little more.

4" in the back may cause you to hit on big bumps if you have passengers riding back there, oh, and have fun changing the tires, they are a bitch even with 3" blocks, though this is on my customline and haven't done a shoebox though I would imagine it's the same animal.

6. squeaky32

squeaky32

like said above, be careful of 4" in the rear with the springs de-arched because your bound it slam into those bump stops a time or two, doesnt feel that great on the rear of my 54 lincoln, and i only have 3" blocks, a notch will make like way easier.

7. Slow 50

Slow 50
    from Dallas, TX

100% thank you all so much for the guidance! I'll go 3" up front and 4" in the rear for sure. My frame already has a mild (and ugly) notch so that should work out. I need to have some axle work done so I wanted to do all of the rear at once. On a side note, I have the Jamco front disc conv. and frame mount power booster installed. I've had nothing but a great experience with Jamco and their parts. Timing is always everything and I may have just caught them on good days. I'll get some pictures up when everything gets moving!