Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 28/29 Closed Cab Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tmacracin, Nov 16, 2013.

1. tmacracin

tmacracin

A buddy of mine is thinking about building a new pro mod race car and wants to build a 1928/29 closed cab pickup. I know fiberglass is a no no here but does anyone build a fiberglass cab you could use with heavy mods?

2. tmacracin

tmacracin

He is only 5'10" so it shouldn't be too bad. Its a all out race car so comfort isn't a big issue..haha
    This is what he's wanting to build but a 28/29 Ford. We are thinking fiberglass cab with alum custom buit box. All VERY lightweight

Attached Files:

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Do they have a class or handicap for aerodynamic bricks? Isn't the windshield just too flat and upright on those old Ford trucks? Gary

4. "Aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines." - Enzo Ferrari

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. tmacracin

tmacracin

You have a point but he plsns on doing a crazy angle chop top so the windshield will be very small. Shouldn't be too much worse than a 33 Willys and there are tons that run in the 6's as AA/Gassers

6. Even at 5'10", this isn't a good idea. The Speedway '34 extended cab is better, more stable than a 28-29 cab sheetmetal. And with those Australian 6" back extensions on the early A truck cabs, he'll still wish he went a different route. Sounds like he's dead set on this, though, so keep us posted. Hotrodding is doing the offbeat and making it succeed.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 1929 Closed Cab sitting on the back burner. Damn thing is probably going to end up a panel truck, 'cause it is so tight.

8. I know it is tight - I've got a '29 AA and I'm 6'2", so its going to be kneecaps in the nostrils - but I'm still doing it because those old phonebooths just look so right. If you go the panel route, you'll gain the room but still find your head behind the B post, with diminished side vision. I've always admired the guys with the skills to add 2-3" in the door width and still made it look almost stock. That way, you can still see out the side windows.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am already next to the B-post, but I could easily pull off making the doors longer, too.

10. tmacracin

tmacracin

Yes they are small. You guys have probably not sat in a car that has a 25.1 spec roll cage with a helmet,neck restraint and -20 fire suit on? There isn't much room. The car could be huge but the cage still has to be in spec on dimensions so you still have no room.

11. tmacracin

tmacracin

Does anyone make a 30/31 Ford fiberglass cab? Or a Chevy of the same vintage

12. tmacracin

tmacracin

[​IMG]

Not the most aerodynamic either but works

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Speaking of Willys, my brother n law was having a "Ridler" level 33 Willys panel built before he passed. While it was to be street legal, it was pretty much a show car - it has a full comp tube frame and would have had an insane blown alcohol hemi. Of interest here, the wheelbase and body were stretched, the grille and windshield were laid back, and... the body was split down the middle and widened about a foot to get the engine between the front fenders and expand the cab / cabin. It was turning out very nice.

Sorry to say I don't have pix to share, as that's the nature of those cubic dollar projects - ultra-double secret. Gary

PS His project is for sale if anyone has SERIOUS (yes, serious) coin and wants to hit the show circuit. PM me and I can put you in touch with the owner or builder.