Register now to get rid of these ads!

did you buy a hudson in utah? shipper dropped one

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by turboroadster, Nov 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Again,,use Hamb Haulers! :) HRP

2. F&J

F&J

All kidding aside, those old new car tractor trailers.....I call them "cattle cars". If your car ends up on one of those, it just could be that you shopped transport by price alone.

I used to sell a few cars on ebay, and I was shocked at some of the lowball prices the buyers got on shipping..

But, some drivers did not speak english and that makes it difficult when they get in the car and have no idea about standard shift ...or the other one who showed up with one that the ramps were way too wide for the track of a vintage VW...and they could not drive stick either...12midnight, in total darkness, here I am try to run one side of the car up on the raised edge of one ramp.

Douchebags...

lo bidder

ya gets what you DON'T pay for,

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] I'm not a car hauler, and I've never played one on TV, but why the hell put someone in a car and NOT place anti roll blocks close to the end of the ramps? Was this guy trying for a roll on Shipping Wars? Bob

4. likesoldstuff

likesoldstuff

A bit more speed might have helped...

5. F&J

F&J

Now that's a hoot:D

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Darn! Nobody asked, did this happen in front of the new owners house? Bob

7. My guess is a brake failure, with no stop blocks, with no speak english, I wonder about insurance. (you got insurance, me no insurance)

8. Not asked but the remark "being picked up" kind of infers that it happened in front of the seller/old owners house.

9. F&J

F&J

"Discount Auto Carriiers Inc" ............."we'll drop your car off in style"

somebody photoshop in the judges with score cards.

10. utahdodge

utahdodge

Looks like a bad episode of CHiPs.

11. "Joie Chitwood Discount Auto Transporters"

"I'm sure I can pump the brakes twice before the end of that ramp..."

Cosmo

12. bald_and_grumpy

bald_and_grumpy

Were there any GOOD episodes of CHiPs?

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If he aint now, he will be when the buyer/seller gets ahold of him!!:D

14. I always wondered what it meant to have something drop shipped :cool:

15. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Houston; we have a major malfunction.
    Terrible shame. From the looks of the photos, the floorpans, rockers, etc. looked to be pretty much rust free.

16. F&J

F&J

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

18. I thought that too. I will never arainge shipping on cars just for reasons like this. Its just not worth it. If you dont find them the VERY cheapest they feel that YOU ripped them off. If you do find them the very cheapest, it ends up on the roof in the street with a guy trapped inside. No win.

19. I work at a car auction so we have haulers in there 7 days a week, sometimes they have some cool stuff on the trucks when they come in. Other times they will drop the cool cars off in our unsecured outer lot for weeks. I often wonder what the poor bastard that is waiting on his car to arrive is thinking after the first week. Last week was a super nice orange/white 70 chevy short bed fleet side, sbc, factory air, power brakes, steering, really nice shape. It was just sitting amongst all the non runner junk cars, sticking out like a sore thumb !

20. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Total Incompetence...

21. F&J

F&J

they are even rarer now:rolleyes:

:D

Edit; oh man:(:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  22. metalman

metalman

My guess is brake failure which would be a "OH SH--" moment for the guy in the car! I say this because it happened to me, had a brake line pop on a 50 Chevy PU just as my freind took the chain off, I was inside holding the brake. Lucky we were using a regular car trailer and my neibors shrubbery stopped the truck before it made it's way into 6 lanes of busy traffic.

23. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Those black cars really show all the imperfections! :)

24. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

From the original forum thread;
    The seller did his part, buyer arranged shipping at this point it will be between the buyer and trucking co.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

25. Utahvette

Utahvette

This is a good friend of mine, Corey Peterson ,He recently sold this 56 Hudson on E-Bay , The out of state owner arranged for pickup with a car transport company. When the truck arrived Corey informed the operator that the car did not run, had no brakes,no emergency brake and park was broken in the transmission to which the operator replied " We load these non ops all the time,no problem" So Corey stands back and watches as an assistant climbs into the car and the operator begins to maneuver the car forward on the truck using the hydraulic ramps to roll the car forward a little bit at a time by tilting the ramps. Corey was a little nervous about this procedure and suggested that they might use a safety chain to hold the car back "just in case" .The operator thought that was a swell idea and attached a chain to the rear of the car and then proceeded with the tilt and roll program .Soon the car is up over the cab and as it nears the front of the ramps the chain comes up short so he stops and puts some slack in the chain . As all this is going on ,Corey wants to take some pictures of the loading process, but his cell phones memory is full, so he begins to delete some pictures as the car is almost in place. Just then the car rolls forward a little bit fast , pulls the chain tight and then bounces back just enough for the chain to unhook and fall off. A bystander yells "There she goes!" The car drops of the front of the ramps and lands on the frame,then slides forward a bit and teeters like its going over, then rocks back down,then rocks forward again and off she goes .So Corey raises his camera and catches this shot of the car just as it goes off the front of the transporter .Check out the body language of the operator, and just imagine what the guy in the car was thinking ! I'll bet he was pumping that limp brake pedal like crazy. The car hits nose first and then falls on its roof ,crushing it pretty good and trapping the driver inside for a few minutes.Corey calls 911 and of course every emergency vehicle in the county comes to see what happened. Five police cars , two firetrucks an ambulance and a wrecker. Unfortunately the cars driver suffered a broken arm ,but it could have been worse. After things calm down (Everybody stops laughing and wipes the tears out of their eyes) the tow truck driver says that there isn't enough room to turn the car over where its at, and besides ,he's heard how good the car rolls and since they are on a hill ,he wants to lessen the potential carnage the car could cause if it got away again, so he just drags the crushed Hudson onto his wrecker upside down. To see the wrecker drive away with the dead Hudson ,"tires up" was a somber sight. Don't cry to many tears for the Hudson , it was pretty rough. Rustier than it looks in these pics. This just slightly sped up its earthly journey to the recyclers .

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  26. A lot of rare parts on that car just the same, over three years they only built maybe 20, 30,000 of all body styles and models.

27. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Exactly - The parts would of sold for more than the $2,100 it got on eBay. Hope he paid by credit card - PayPal/eBay is not going to refund.

:eek:

28. .... thanks for the story Utahvette .... I was just getting ready to snopes this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.