Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who had the coolest car in school?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Maxwedge66, Jul 31, 2008.

1. 64chrysler300

64chrysler300

Dont know if I did or not but alot of my friends liked it. I had my '64 Ford shortbed with the 292 / 4 spd. all through high school. I picked it up when I was 15 and drove it to school the first week of junior year. Had alot of fun times in that truck, especially senior prom. Still have it of course! Not too many people in high school had old cars except for one my best friends who had a early 70's Javelin but he never got it on the road and another buddy who has a '64 Mustang convertible . It was a pretty nice car with black paint, white top and red interior. Never much was into Mustangs but that one was pretty sharp.

2. I had many cars back in high school and jr high too. First model A sedan that was built into a jalopy stock car but the fairgrounds had gone to late models so I found the A in a pile of weeds behind a shop. He wanted $150.00 for the work that he had done on the car. I traded my bicycle, soap box derby car and $12.50 for the car sans engine and trans. (flathead). I was starting the 8th grade at Study Jr high. I also bought and mowed lawns for a 1947 Ford sedan 4 door that was really a very NICE car. I did not like 4 doors. So I pulled the engine and trans out of it and the master cylinder and sold the rest. I drove it to school in the end of the year and parked it out where the teacher's parked so it could be seen from the top floor where I had classes. I got a paddling first, suspension next and had to walk home 7 blocks. I got another spanking from my mother with her plastic belt and sent to my room with no radio nor phonograph until after my father came home. He got home at 5:15 and I got it with his leather belt!!!! He walked up to school and drove my car home. It had no fenders nor hood but it still had the glass in the body. My father was a prison guard and their belt stung! So I know it is not high school but it happened. This was in 1959.

3. OldColt

OldColt

Circa 1965. Ronnie Rippitoe (he was captain of the basketball team). He had a beautiful 1957 Chevy 2 door hardtop. Dark metallic blue with mag wheels, black roll and pleat interior with a floor shift and healthy sounding V8. Not sure what size the engine was, but it was rumored to be a 327 from a Corvette. The school shop teacher drove a nicely restored 1937 Dodge pickup truck that was two tone red and black with a real nice interior and custom wood bed floor. He was cool, and the truck was too.

--- Steve ---

4. That list would be long and distinguished. I was lucky to grow up in a small town filled with old motorheads.A Boy down the road had a real sweet 64 nova...corvette 327 4 speed white roll-n-pleat and cragers. I remember a red metal flake 57 with wheel well headers with a straight axle that I would walk by on the way to school and stop and look at it every day.And a herd of 396 chevelles. One of my favorites was a 64 cyclone cragers raised a little in the front to show the deep pan and headers. Those were the days.

5. fourtogo

fourtogo
    from long beach

53 Chevy Belair two door no post. Olds rear end Art Carr trans 393 Hemi fender well headers.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Coolest kid had a dad that owned the local Gulf Gas Station. He had a HEMI Roadrunner.

7. CrusadersNV

CrusadersNV

I without a doubt had the coolest cars in high school. i never had summer vacations because i chose to work and save money. best thing i ever did. heres the only pic i have of them together 1968 pontiac parisienne and my 1981 cutlass supreme. the cutass was a tire burner and got me kicked out of the schools parking lot for doing a massive burnout. the pontiac was the midnight cruiser. 8 people could cram in it. fun times and lots of memories.

[​IMG]

8. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Little punk dad's owned the local gas station had a brand new '69 Road Runner thought he was hot sh*% totaled it the first month he had it!

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

No, he sold it when gas prices went crazy. Ironic, isn't it.

10. bobadame

bobadame

My friend Dick had a '56 Nomad with American wheels and a 327. Greg had a '57 Nomad pretty much stock. The rich kid, Terry had a new Mustang. This was '65 through '67. Dave had a '34 ford 2 door sedan with a 389. I had a '62 Olds F-85 Jetfire with a turbocharged aluminum 215 and a 4 speed. Then a '29 Ford roadster pickup with a hot flathead V8. Still have it and Dick still has the '56 Nomad.

11. Somebody

Somebody

12. handmedown40limited

handmedown40limited
    from tracy ca

I had bought a 68 Lemans, mom helped me buy it when I was 16. Built a 455/th400 12bolt. Ran low 13's drove it thru junior and senior year along with delivering pizza. Fast student built car at my school. The rest were ls1 powered parent bought rides

13. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

Todd Ianuzzi drove a primer patched green Plymouth Duster. Yeah, Todd was cool

14. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Sure wasn't me. 56 Ford 4dr. I do remember a guy had a 61 Ford 406 but never ragged on it. Another guy had a 58 Chev 348 tri power that was a real crowd pleaser. Always into it. Must have had a some type of fuel leak because more than once the dist. cap blew apart. One of the guys in our class brought his moms 61 Pontiac once and did a neutral slam at the light with a cop car right behind him. He didn't make it a 100ft before they pulled him over. We were on the ground laughing.

15. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Went from .24 to .26 per gallon LOL.

16. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek:One of the teachers.She had a frame off resto 41 Caddy that was an Admirals car in WW2.Had the paper work to prove it too.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

17. khead47

khead47

Friend had a 57 Ford 2dr ht with a hot ( and I do mean HOT ) 427 side oiler and a 4 spd.

18. Model T1

Model T1

Sure not me. In 1956 I had my first car, a 1949 Dodge coupe with a six and fluid drive.:rolleyes:
    But my neighbor and good friend Mike had a 1953 Ford convertible lowered with a continental kit and cruiser skirts.
    Good friend Jim had a 1946 Ford convertible with a SBC. He's still got it now with a 350.
    Art had the 1940 Ford convertible with SBC. I wanted that car!
    But that redheaded senior got all the hot girls with his blue 1956 Chevy convertible with continental kit and wire wheels.
    In 1957 my other friend's brother had the koolest car, a 1957 Mercury turnpike cruiser with a mile long continental kit out back.

19. caseyajones

caseyajones

OK guys now don't hate me but I was both a jock and a gear head. I was not rich, but I was operating machinery in the fields of our farm from the time I was 6 yrs old and earning a wage--I loved it. By the way, I am Rod--Casey's Dad. Anyway, on our school bus route, there was a house in town that had a 37 Ford coupe in the drive way I would ogle every day. One day it had a for sale sign in the window and that weekend I pestered my dad into going to town to look at the car. It was in nice shape with a 265 chevy in it already. The guy wanted 200 bucks for it. I wanted that car sooo bad, but I could see my dad was not impressed. At 14 years of age I turned to the seller and said "I'll give you 175.00 for it." My Dad said-"you will?" I said yes and I had my first real car. I had no one to help me, but I started learning and doing-doing and learning--its painful but when you get it you really got it. There was no place to get after market parts in eastern Or and Portland was 250 miles away-I got my scavenger pipes from maybe Baxters there; most other parts I got from warshawski. I put a dropped axle in it and cheater slicks with the fake white walls.I tunneled 59 Cad tail lights and prepped the car for paint--had the Pontiac garage put a flawless maroon job on it for 175 bucks--had the local shop do a full tuck-and-roll black with white headliner for I think 150. Had a machine shop modify the four barrel manifold to accept the big new Olds Rochester carb. This was the car I had as a sophmore in high school in 1963. I can only remember one other classmate that had a car and his dad bought it for him. Some probably thought I was rich but most knew I earned my own money and did my own work. Not rich but in a unique position and fortunate for being a gearhead. As a junior in 64 I bought a 58 Del Ray in Portland with a 301 tri-power 3-sp. The Sun tach on the dash with the little bare feet decals leading up to it sold me. It was a nice blue color with all the 6 cyl. trim so was a real sleeper soon to be a much bigger one. I developed the car with a 4-sp and posi and tweeked the engine around where it was about as quick as the new GTO s that were out. Then in my senior year in 65 I picked up a new 425 hp 409 which a local guy couldn't make run right--dropped it in my 58 and made it run to the tune of high 12s.which made it the fastest in that part of the state. With two weeks to go in high school I traded the 58 to a guy who wanted to go drag racing for his 59 Corvette/brand new 365 hp 327 which I painted myself and used as my college car. That first summer after graduation I started building a T Bucket to race in A/Altered. I built the frame, quarter eliptic suspension front and rear--everything. Bought a 426 max wedge engine out of Hot Rod classifieds and had it shipped from Vermont--there went one years worth of college money. I raced the car the next summer then pulled the drive train and put it in a 54 Austin Healy-the biggest car challenge of my life.If anyone knows anything about the Healy which last I knew was in the Portland area, I'd like to hear about it. So this was my high school era experience. It was the beginning for me and special. I have had a life which has included many speciality cars but they have not been my whole life. They are still my hobby, but not my life. My life is in my Creator and my family. The pictured '57 Ford is a project that I'm currently finishing up. It has a 542" Caddy in it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. D-man313

D-man313

Just graduated high school and drove my truck the last two years. Everybody I went to school with liked it, including teachers and the assistant principal.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1384733384.784595.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. in 1984 i sold my unfinished 31-a for a l-79 1966 chevelle. i sold the car after my senior year. about two years ago i bought the same car back from the guy i sold it to. it was still in my name and the guy never drove it. does that make me cool all over again.

22. squeaky32

squeaky32

since i only graduated in 04, it wasnt that long ago. there were a few chevelles, a gto, and my 67 galaxie xl [​IMG]

23. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

I may have created a bit of a monster since I let my 17 y.o. boy drive my '32 today. He said he had a blast and txt'd me some pics like this one below, and then a while later txt'd me asking what the car could do zero to sixty. I just said 2300 lbs and 560hp is gonna be quick but I didn't say "try it". Now he wants to drive it to school...

[​IMG]

24. genosslk

genosslk

I drove a 40 Ford Opera Coupe in the stock green color with gray mohair interior. The stock engine was changed out to a 53 flathead with three Stromberg's and a set of Fenton headers turning a 39 transmission. I drove this car everyday to high school and every Friday and Saturday night on the "Gut". I had this car for my junior and senior years and then sold it for a 64 Olds 442 because I needed a muscle car to run at the local 1/8 mile drag strip. Great times and great memories. I would give almost anything to get these two cars back....I know where the 40 is but the owner won't sell it, I have no idea where the Olds is....

25. This is how it started in HS

[​IMG]
    this is how it looked 2nd year of HS

[​IMG]
    this is how it looked 20 years after HS as I found it on E Bay
    lost bid new owner wants to build it as I had it in HS
    I had it painted a darker blue years later I did not like it as much and sold it
    [​IMG]
    had this truck since I was 19 I am 63 now got it as a cab and chassis out of Nevada
    [​IMG]
    the aviator is also mine I have to sell it to pay hospital bill
    its going to Moultrie Ga Nov 22 2013
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  26. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

[​IMG]

one of these, but with some rot holes here, there and everywhere. What do I win? :eek:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  27. This is what I had in high school and until I got my draft notice. I would park it in the teachers parking lot. I think it was the coolest car back then:cool:

Attached Files:

28. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

I don't know who's was the coolest but ..............

[​IMG]

Mine was a 67 Cougar, I still think it was a nice car. You couldn't tell me shit, but you could ask me anything!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  29. born2late

born2late

My class actually had a vote and my heap appeared in the yearbook under coolest car. 1966 Mustang coupe, 289, torque thrusts, candy apple red. It was full of filler under the shiny paint but the cheerleaders loved it! Class of 1989.

30. D-man313

D-man313

My class had a vote too. I lost out to a 2005 Cadillac that mommy and daddy bought their son.