Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Torque tube center bearing

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 31ster, Oct 6, 2013.

1. 31ster

31ster

I'm in the process of shortening my torque tube and I'm trying to find out if I need the center bearing with a solid driveshaft or if I should have a tube shaft made up. I shortened the tube around 21 inches so now it's around 50 inches total. If I had left the center bearing it would have been less than a foot from the rear end so I left it out. So the million dollar question is will the solid driveshaft be ok without the center support

2. walter

walter

I was told that I would have vibration at constant road speed that the bearing needs to be there. I cut the bearing section out of the torque tube and made my cuts on either side. Centered the bearing exactly where it was originally. A lot of extra work but I know it will be right.
    Walter

3. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I'm with Walter,..and would leave that bearing in there; Those shafts are on the "thin" side, and the bearing prevents it from "flexing".

4TTRUK

4. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

I have a solid '48 driveshaft that was shortened & re splined in my av8 for 7 years now with NO center bearing. I've had no vibration problems.

The Vern Tardel book says you don't need it. Those bearings wear out and as far as I know, nobody makes a replacement.

But I don't think it would hurt anything if you left it in.

5. walter

walter

There is an American made bearing available. A little pricey and then you need a special too; to install.

6. I shortened a 48 torque tube to fit in my 32 removed the centre bearing have had no vibration issues.

7. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

I believe there is a sealed bearing available now also. No comment on running without a bearing.

[​IMG]

8. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

I left mine out no issues- but then again I could see some "whip" if you were really spinning it- I dont drive over 65-

^ I like what is shown above...wouldnt be opposed to putting it in if I was to do it again.

9. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I had one that whipped on decel in my old roadster, I shortened another tube and left the bearing in... no issues since.

10. Christom

Christom

I left mine in to be "safe" from possible vibration from the rear spline/coupling setup into the rear. JMO.....

11. Bloody Hell

Bloody Hell
    from Spring, TX

Just a thought as I need to shorten one up.
    Cut your torque tube behind the bearing ( closer the the rear end side). Then make your cut on the rear end side of the drive shaft and bearing and drive should line up if they were a matching set before cutting up.

KooK

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Bloody Hell

Bloody Hell
    from Spring, TX

A little edit as I am on mobile.

Cut tt behind bearing. Take any length of tt needing to be cut off of piece that attaches to rear end.

Now tt is correct, find Your measurement of solid drive shaft and cut that off of rear end side of driveshaft. Of course remove coupler for putting all back together.

Sorry to simplify, but couldn't figure out how to edit on a phone.

KooK

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. grim1930

grim1930
    from Norfolk UK

That's exactly how I just did mine and left the bearing in, haven't run it yet but hope it works