Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '40 ford modified hot rod truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2345.coupe, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Well, here's what I'm going to start with........."48 ford truck chassis, '40 ford cab,'82 inline 6,300 cu.in., 4sp. with a granny gear.....I might use this 4:10 pos? rear or go with a early bronco 9",4:11 pos.
    I hope this build is HAMB friendly....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  2. cut the frame in two and lowered the middle section......had some metal plates cut out to weld in.....also had a frozen king pin to drive out and get the spindle re-bushed.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. spindle re-bushed and new kingpin installed.......more fitting and welding on the frame plates......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

im watching the build I like pick ups , keep on building

5. thanks man....I'm really enjoying this build also. I'm way out of my comfort zone with this but it's the only way I can learn the skills I need to someday build a "hot rod".

6. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

that's not a 40 cab. I don't like the way this build is going

7. willymakeit

willymakeit

I hope you make it both building and as a thread. I like some of these trucks but there is a lot of love/hate for them. Really depends on the proportions.
    Good luck and keep posting.

8. What's the secret to spying a 40 cab? No seem from the top of the door across the back?

9. I was told it was a '40 when I bought it,I have the "vin" numbers and I'll tell you what the DMV says when I register her.
    I'm not that happy with the way the build is going either, so I have made changes in my build plans.....

I'll build the truck whether the thread lives or dies.........thanks for your support.....

10. Bulletnose26

Bulletnose26

I'm inspired by your story at the salt, and would like to hear more about what you accomplished.

11. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

A few things, !, I like the build but I agree, if the proportions are right it should be bitchin. 2, The 300 is a real work horse, but a 4.10 gear and no O. D. it's gonna working pretty hard at any thing over 65 mph, 3, I'm not familiar with the term "bobber" on any thing but a bike. Maybe it's a regional thing. BILL RINALDI

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Oh yea, well if the DMV doesnt know a '40 when they see one, no-one does...:rolleyes:

13. haha...good one

14. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

a 40/41 cab does not have the gas tank hole on the passenger side of the cab. your cab is probably a 46/47 and had the gang tank inside the cab. a 40/41 truck had the tank on the rear of the frame like a passenger car

15. got the cab on the frame to see how she sits and how much I'll have to channel her to get the look I want...
    also decided to go with the early bronco 9"......
    plus,I've decided to change the rear suspension setup.......going to cut the frame off at the back of the cab, z it up, model a spring, 4 link bars, plus and watts link......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. that's correct, it had a gas tank under the seat...I think it's a 40 maybe it's a 46/47 I'll post more cab pics..........that's why I like the HAMB so much....you guys know your cars and know how to build them. I'm posting this build mainly because I need to know if I'm making a structural or a technical mistake. I want to have fun, but I believe that safety comes first.
    Thanks for all you input..........

17. does these pics help to identify the yr. of the cab for you guys........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. SloppyEggs

SloppyEggs

Are you getting good penetration with those welds? I'm a little worried that you might end up losing either the front or the back of your ride if you take it down a rough road. Maybe try boxing in the frame for more support?

19. I agree on some of the welds i saw on the boxing plates / gusset plates.. looks like you've gone too fast and not enough amps.

I don't understand when you have a longer chassis like that, why you would Z it? I don't mean to offend, but it looks like ass. I can understand a Z on a Model A chassis where the crossmember is the end of the frame and you don't get any room beyond that for something nicer.

I don't know about over there, but over here we have two guys doing what we call a sweep notch and it looks a trillion betters than that.

Heres a pic or two..

Get somethin like this, but two of, one for each side obviously.. install it, wrap the top with flat bar (at least 3 - 4mm thick) and then cut the original chassis section out and wrap the bottom and tie it into the original rails. We have COUNTLESS minitruckers over here using this style of notch and engineers pass it all day long. No one does a Z here anymore for a rear suspension setup.

[​IMG]

And heres an in progress of one.

[​IMG]

Also i'd run fenders if it was mine.. thats just personal taste.. but those trucks slammed or tail draggin full fendered look fucking cool!

20. thanks for pointing that out.....

I bought the cab quite a while back, but now I remember the seller saying it was a cab from a big truck.......thanks for clearing that issue up......
    Your right on your observation on some of the welds. I didn't have my amps up and went too fast. I'll grind them out and do them again....thanks for your input.....
    nice sweeping arch on your "kick up"........

21. cut the rear section of the frame off just at the front of the spring frame brackets.......also mocked up a z up plus rear model a spring crossmember...
    my buddy flathead Eric gets a all the credit for figuring out all the angles of the z up and crossmember......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. got some more welding done on the z up. Mocked in the 4 link's, also made frame brackets for them.Learned that a model a spring has to be installed "loaded"-charged. Bought a tool to load the spring. With the spring charged , the height drastically changed so we modified the z up to compensate the change. I think I have the rake I am striving for now.The spring is charged to 44 1/2" not the usual 49 1/2"..FYI
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/160401720240..click on link to view spring spreader tool......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. got the rear end, 4 link bars,model a spring and rear ride height pretty much where I want them......now just weld them in. Next firgure out the set up of the Watts link........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. got the cab channelled on the frame.....not where I want it yet. Some pics are a little dark but I think you'll get the drift.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. metalman

metalman

Curious, what do you mean you have the "vin" numbers? There isn't a vin on a cab :confused:.
    Gotta tell ya I liked the first frame better, the model A stuff with the race car 4 link doesn't do it for me. Not a fan of "bobber" trucks anyway so it it's a mute point.

26. the "vin #" as I refer to it are the numbers that were on the registration and one of the former owners wrote them on the firewall , plus the "firewall" tag numbers that match.
    You're not supposed to like every build. That's the great thing about hot rodding "the right to build your dreams."
    There's a reason for the "race car 4 link"...............

27. got the rake close to what I want on the cab........with the motor and tranny weight , some body shims ,may be less front leaf springs, it will be perfect. That's in my eyes of coarse.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. Beau

Beau

This bobber aint gonna float around here.

I see the vision, but I think you need some more thought put into it. I also know for a fact that a Model A spring won't fit a 66-77 Bronco 9". They are too narrow.

29. McGurk

McGurk
    from Mid West

2345.coupe,

I am a fan of bobber trucks. If I could find a perfect cab then I would built one. Their are numerous engineering and workmanship problems on your chassis. 1) Your welds would not pass the most lenient structural inspection. 2) The 4 link suspension makes the rear axle move fro and aft and the spring is stationary. 3) The front mount for the 4 link bars will rip right out of the frame. 4) I detect that you have a problem with vertical welds. Members that you bench welded look decent. For vertical welds try starting at the top and weld going down. The book instructs the exact opposite, but I weld however I determine to produce the best weld.

As your project sets it is an unsafe vehicle.

McGurk

30. sota

sota

Sorry guy but it looks like a Ratrod to me