Register now to get rid of these ads!

289 fuel pump/oil problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mel Walters, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Mel Walters

Mel Walters

I have 67 Mustang 289 engine in a 1950 Ford Custom. It has set for 16 years without being started for more than a couple times by pouring gas into the carb. I determined the fuel pump was bad because no fuel was coming thru the gas line after disconnecting it from the carb and turning over the engine. Removed the fuel pump and found aluminum shavings on the shaft. I know the shaft is made of aluminum so I figured that is were they came from. I pulled the dip stick and found aluminum shavings also on it also. There is zero oil on the fuel pump shaft or inside the block were the fuel pump mounts. The old fuel pump doesn't seem to be seized as I moved the shaft up and down by hand. I have purchased a new fuel pump, but am reluctant to install it because of there being no oil. Any ideas? Clogged oil port? If that is it, how do I unclog them?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. 64gal

64gal

The fuel pump arm, or lever is not aluminum.
    The eccentric that moves the arm is not aluminum.
    You will have to look yourself to see where the aluminum is comming from.
    Maybe use a mirror and a light and look in where the pump mounts,or take off the front cover.
    Like I told you before,if the eccentric that moves the fuel pump arm came undone or somone used the wrong timming chain set, that would explain the shavings and no fuel!!

Oil drains from the lifter valley onto the timming chain and fuel pump.
    The dist. gear and cam thrust plate are also pressure fed(I think).
    You probally didnt have it running enough to get oil draining on the timming chain.
    It does have oil and pressure?
    Good luck.

3. Unless somebody has a better idea, I say pull the front cover and pan and see, chain would be the usual suspect. Not sure what you mean by fuel pump shaft?

4. p51mustang

p51mustang

Fuel pump eccentric on the front of timing chain could of came loose hitting the timing chain cover. Pull the water pump and timing chain cover and take a look at everything.

5. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I would also suspect that the eccentric came loose which is why the fuel pump doesn't pump. It could also be that the timing chain is extremely loose and hitting the timing cover. Best to pull the timing cover and look.

You can test the pump by pumping it by hand and see if it produces a vacuum or hook up a couple of lines and try to pump fuel out of a container. If the pump works, it's almost certain that the eccentric is loose.

Another way to look inside is with an inspection camera through the fuel pump hole.

I've never seen a pump with an aluminum arm as it would wear out rubbing on the eccentric but check it with a magnet.

6. rustang

rustang

Front cover has to come off....I would suspect the timing chain has dropped its teeth and possibly loose enough to be chewing on the timing cover... not the end of the world, new timing chain and make sure the eccentric is on properly, and you should be good to go.....

Pull off the pan and clean it out...

7. Futura63

Futura63
    from N/W ohio

As I mentioned in your other pump post ,, the old styl water pump had an open impeller that thru age could grind through the timing cover. you have to start looking somewhere . pump is an easy start

8. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

What "Rustang" said ! Open it up, inspect and clean everything...Including the pan. Extra labor, yes, cheap insurance, absolutely !!

4TTRUK

9. Mel Walters

Mel Walters

Thanks again everyone. Will jump on your advice tomorrow and let you know outcome.