Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

2. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

I told the deal earlier but its buried in the thread now. When we received the car the straight axle was already taken out and a new front suspension assembly was in it along with the previous owner un-chopping the top. The VIN was gone when they cut the front end off originally, and when we restored it, we put NO VIN back on it because (A) we didn't know the serial numbers then (B) if we put one on and found the numbers and they were wrong, it would be assumed it had to be rebodied which it wasnt. If there is a VIN on it now, then someone else went in and did that. We did new Quarters and interior structure as it was cut (butchered) out as the owner (Dick Bridges) at the time wanted it that way. The glass doors and fenders are new also, the originals are/were shot. The car lived a hard life and is restored. Is there much original, maybe not as much as some would like, but it is the car. I wish we had digital pics when we did the car back in the early 90"s would have been a lot simpler to post them now. I have some stuck away but not as many as I would like now.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  3. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

4. 65COMET

65COMET

SIX GUN;I though my headers were a pain to build and then get to the plugs,WOW [7222]!! Which Comet is in that picture?Great picture of your Comet! What does the sticker on the rear bumper read? ROY.

5. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

ROY;
    I think the engine pic is in a Falcon (oops!)...
    The sticker reads (WARNING driver only carries $20.00 worth of AMMUNITION)...

6. 65COMET

65COMET

SIX GUN;The saying on that sticker is PERFECT!!! Comet/Falcon,who could tell from that picture!! What kind of coil is that? Interesting way they ran the upper radiator hoses!! ROY.

7. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Mercury had Bill Stropp build seven 65 AFX Comets, the first Comet was a "trial Comet" to see how it would fit with a SOHC, it was a early body, that was the AFX Comet that Dyno Don got. The next six AFX Comets, three had SOHC making a total of four SOHC Comets. The next two were Hi Risers cars, these first six were Mercury Backed cars. The remaining AFX Comet was a backup car, it had a "427 J Series Medium Riser. Later All the cars had there front end chopped off to get rid of Weight except the Chicago Land Comet of which was llater sand blistered and lput outside under some pine trees and rusted the body bad but the front clip was still intact. That AFX was Rebodyed, of the remaining 65 AFX Comets they were chopped up on the Rear section and the remaining Comet Not Tubbed is the "Arnie Beswick / Goldfender" Comet! As far as I know that's the story, I might be wrong in some areas but I don't think so. Put your input on this subject. ~~~AFX DAVE~~~

8. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

ROY:
    I think it's a Mallory coil, the pic is of the WILD CHILD B/FX falcon before they made it an A/FX car...

9. 65COMET

65COMET

SIX GUN;I think you are correct,after reading your response it looks like it reads MALLORY on the tag! I have some OLD Mallory ignition parts,but nothing like that!! I just got my confirmation of acceptance to the 2014 Grand National Roaster Show,I know it is not a race,but it should get some interest in COMETS as Drag Cars!!! ROY.

10. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

ROY:
    That's COOOOOOOOL...

11. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

12. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

13. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

14. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Dale, what Comet was Schrewsbury referring to????

15. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Your car looks good launching Six Gun......Al

Congrats Roy, Big show like that will be fun.....Al

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  16. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

That would be this one, says he keep it all these years, never sold it, at home in a bubble, Says it looks the same as it was like new.. Im hoping to see it next year myself.

[​IMG]

17. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

18. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Bill Shrewsbury and Myself after signing my dash

[​IMG]

19. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Thanks Ken for stepping up and answering. Had my hands full these last couple weeks. I hope we can both go down and visit with him when the time is right!!! I want to see the Berry Wagon, and ask him if he'll let me restore it!

20. Posted by Daniel Parson on Facebook
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1384528637.004476.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

I have the right front fender of the Golden Comet maybe I can do what the Ramchargers Dodge did. They told me that the Car they had sitting at the " Back to The Bricks" show in Flint Michigan, that car had the Original Drive Train in it. I said OK now I can use that Right Front Fender I have and put it on my 64 AFX Comet Clone and say its the Original Golden Comet!! WRONG ~~~AFX DAVE~~~

22. I agree Dave. What's the story behind the crash?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

What's the history on this Comet? I'm assuming it's a factory A/FX...hey Dave,what do you know about this Comet? How many 64 A/FX Comets were made? Doe's this car have lightweight components or a roll bar? I see that it still has the single exhaust pipe.

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've been wading through the many great posts and pics throughout this thread for weeks now. I just wanted to add my thanks to those who are keeping the info and pics coming! It's a great thread, and I enjoy looking in occasionally! Thanks!

25. 65COMET

65COMET

Steve;according to Mercury Junky that is the Comet that Shrewsbury got and still has! ROY.

26. Christian Bros Racing

Christian Bros Racing

He kept it?? Gahh, I'm so confused now! Maybe there was a 3rd one they actually gave to him after he drove Chrismans?

27. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

There was no doubt in my mind he was not being truthful. When he first came over to my pit, I did not immediately recognize him, we talked for a few moments, made small talk, then there was a pause in the conversation, he took it as the right time to say, have a good day, enjoy the weekend, and by chance I asked, about the car, and his name. He turned to me with a glint in his eye (I kid you guys not!!) and told me he still had the car and that he was Bill !!!! I want to say he mentioned to Ken and I about three different cars, but I was swimming in the heavenly waters by that time!!! Shit, I got to cruise around in a John Deere with the man hisself!!!!!

28. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

The original 64 AFX Comet was run from West Brouthers at Plymouth, Mi. The following year it was sold to Louis Zangara and he ran the car a few years! Louis sold the comet to the next guy and he repainted it the "Golden Comet" then he had a heath problem, so the car sat the Sponsers Shop for quite awtile. Then Someone changed the rear axles and the Detroit Locker from a 31 spline to a 28 spline. The new and last owner took the Comet to Detroit Dragway to run it. On one of the runs when he shifted gears the axle broke and the car went into the deep ditch that they had, the car didn't have a roll cage! The good parts were taken off. They could care less about that car. The only Fiberglas parts were the front fenders, hood and bumper. All the other parts were steel. ~~~AFX DAVE~~~

29. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

That the 64 AFX Comet that Jack Christman made into the first 427 FE Blown high gear only Full Body Dragster that would smoke the tires the full quarter mile. Later Bill Stropp Co. took the rear quarter panels off and replacesed them with 1965 panels and all 65 Fiberglas parts and installed a 427 Blown SOHC engine. That Comet has been Restored back to the 65 Statius by Jin Barraow! ~~~AFX DAVE~~~

30. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Snapped this pic when I visited AFXDave Comet HQ some time ago.
    Myron_

[​IMG]