Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Definitive "MILD CUSTOM" Photo Thread....

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Centurion9, Mar 31, 2011.

1. :).

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  2. daddio211

daddio211

First, don't start casting stones at fellow members. Nitrobrother is a well respected member here.

Second, if you really don't see a difference between your car and the others on here then you're REALLY in the wrong place.

Don't think I'm nitpicking your car because I'm not. It's your dream, you're proud of it, and that's fine. That said, here are the differences you're asking to be pointed out:
    - Your car sits like a 4X4. Customs sit LOW.
    - Your paint job is a complete rip off of the Street Rodder Magazine tour car from a few years back, but seemingly poorly executed. If copying is the sincerest form of flattery you should do a better job copying.
    - Wheels are hideous. They belong on the same 4X4 your car's stance was stolen from.
    - Limo tinted windows are for mini trucks. And limos.
    - Chrome fender trim sucks.
    - Window stickers are for race cars, not customs.

Basically your car is truly confused about what it is. Is it an off roader? Is it a gasser? Is it a race car? Is it a tribute to SRM? One thing is for sure, it's NOT a traditional mild custom in any sense of the word(s) which is what this thread is about.

Do I think you need to change it and make it a traditional mild custom? No. It's your car and the only smile it needs to create is the one behind the wheel. But it does NOT belong here. It's kind of a "street freak meets Tijuana meets..." I don't know what else it meets, but it's confused.

I'm just guessing here, but I'll bet it has bucket seats and a big ol' ratchet shifter too. Am I right? How about diamond plate under the hood? Flame throwers maybe? NONE of these cars in this thread have ANY of these things yet you don't see the difference?

Look at the cars featured here again. They were either built IN an earlier time or PAYING TRIBUTE to that earlier time. These cars are built with careful consideration to the way cars were done in the '50's and '60's, not the '90's. Your car looks like you went "Oooh, I like this! Ooooh, I like that! Maybe some of these fuzzy dice..." with no consideration to a particular theme or a balanced outcome. We didn't have those wheels then. Or that paint. Or window tint. Race cars and woodys had window stickers, but woody stickers were surfing related. You shaved your door handles: one point toward being a mild custom.

Does your car suck? No, but it's ANYTHING BUT a traditional mild custom. I don't know how else to say it, and knowing these guys I'm really surprised you haven't been completely BLASTED. But I admire your perseverance.

Your car is kind of like taking your sister to the prom. You may think it's cool but everyone else knows better. This is the prom and everyone else brought a centerfold. Your sister has buck teeth, hairy legs, coke bottle glasses and a colostomy bag outside of her dress.

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  3. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

I predict one less hamb member soon..

Please don't get this thread closed its one of my favorites

4. daddio211

daddio211

5. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

6. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

Not sure how they do mild customs in central part of Canada but this is how we do it on the West end...my beater isn't worthy compared to most cars in this thread and it would be classed as "very mild" but here it is anyway....:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dyno Dave likes this.
  7. If THAT is a beater, my stuff just got relegated to "mobile junk" status....

8. 54sled

54sled

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1384614534.061494.jpg here's my 54 ford mainline sedan mild custom

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Daddio
    thank you and well put. Now I know. the paint was an the idea of my son over 6 years ago. So, no I DID NOT COPY the one from the magazine. i have seen it and did make a comment about it. As for the ride height, as you can see from my avatar it does sit low normally. I had installed new springs in the rear and I'm waiting on the lowering blocks. The wheels and tire are all i have right now, currently looking for wide whites and the right hub caps. this car is by no mean complete, i'm working on a small budget, but i'm working on it never the less. now that you have informed me of the issues, i see maybe at this point i should not have posted it here. But all that was needed to be done was give me a explaination like you did. again i thank you, but my comment on nitrobrother still stands. would love to meet him face to face. One thing i hate is a flippin know it all. and he really should do his research before he gets his month in motion.

10. Nice color, or should I say "colour?" I'd say all you need to do is lose the emblems and drop the rear end a bit! Of course then you'll want to french the headlights and taillights, then smooth the bumpers and peak the hood, and then...

Great start...good luck with it.

11. thanks nitrobrother. I apologize for the negative comments I said about you and I do value your opinions. btw if you look at my avatar you will se that the backend is now dropped and the wheels and tint is gone. :)

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Quit with the BS and get back to actual mild customs already.

[​IMG]

13. ffej

ffej

Lets see some more pix zman

14. Hudson Hot Rod, how 'bout this? Smoothed (emblems and bumper bolts), dropped a bit, I was going to put pencil-tipped duals on it, but decided on Thunderbird through-the-bumper tips on it.
    [​IMG]

15. Another one from the Canadian west coast.

[​IMG]

16. Hey imnuts, how about something along these lines? Stole the tires and caps from kan't spell's car.
    [​IMG]

17. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

Hey thanks Brother! That looks really cool! never thought of the exhaust through the bumper like that but I like it and Nut's car looks good like that too!

18. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

Wow! another really cool Canadian custom! I love it! how about some info on the suspension, what did you do to get the rear to sit that low?

19. I like it :)

20. Thanks. The front has the Fatman dropped uprights and cut coils. The rear has custom made leaf springs, 3" blocks and then air bags to lift it back up and make it a little more drivable with a Gambino notch kit in the frame. It also needed new rear inner fenders. The car can be driven without any air in the bags but it needs to be a smooth road.:D

Where in BC are you?

21. [​IMG]

My '49 before it went to a new home.

22. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Kan't Spell, that is one great looking Chevy. I love the way the early 50's Chevy's look when the roof color is taken all the way down to the door tops. Just seems to make them look so much better for just the cost of paint.
    What are those hubcaps from? They look very cool.

23. Thanks.

The wheel covers are from a '50 -'53 (I think '53) Oldsmobile. They fit the original wheels without any modifications.

24. Much better!

25. ...........How's this?:D

Attached Files:

26. I was hoping for a custom studebaker wagon. :D

27. That orange one is UGLY :cool:

28. That is smooth...long and low. All it needs is a set of 'caps!

(Where did it go?)

29. daddio211

daddio211