Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Vintage Gauge Panel Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bart13, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Bart13

Bart13

So I have a bit of a problem with an unknown gauge panel that I'm using in my AV8 build, I have no idea what make or year it is although I have a feeling its '50's. I haven't been able to find any pictures of similar panels but I was hoping someone might have some info on it and a period pic or two so I can tell if it's supposed to be mounted the other way up.

Attached Files:

2. Bart,
    I am not sure what the problem is it looks great, if you never figure out what it is out of tell people it's from a "79 Pinto with an SS Kit"
    I think the panel is late 40s not 50s. either way it's cool
    Tim

3. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I think those panels were in 50's GM big trucks. It looks great!

4. Can't help on ID'ing the panel.. but i saw some pics of the car on Bens Instagram this arvo and its looking great!

5. alchemy

alchemy

I think this is true. I saw an NOS one once full of original gauges, and it had a logo in the small rectangle on the edge. Pretty sure you have yours mounted upside down. But if the logo is not there, it doesn't matter.

6. 5559

from tn

maybe a late 40s - early 50s gmc truck

7. Villlage Idiot

Villlage Idiot

I have one that I got from a fellow in Southern Cal who bought a bunch of gauges and panels from an auction at an old industrial/military warehouse. I have since taken it to a chrome shop to have a dent removed from the bezel and then rechromed. According to the location of the GM on mine before it was rechromed the way it's mounted on the dash in the photos with the tab at the top is correct.

8. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Correct. I have one like it. It still has the hour meter and some diesel related gauge in it. It certainly looks good in your dash. It is right side up.

9. Bart13

Bart13

Thanks for the info guys, the power of the HAMB never ceases to amaze me with the depth of knowledge here. And now the niggling thought that its upside can be laid to rest and I can worry about some other small detail.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. No offense intended but it looks like Chris Craft to me. Boat panels were pretty common hot rod fodder though so it would be appropriate in a trad rod.

11. fleetside66

fleetside66

It is an early G.M. diesel truck panel. There are a few earlier threads on this, where these pics were posted, showing a larger version of your panel. I had one & it did have the little "General Motors" logo at the middle-top of the panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]