Register now to get rid of these ads!

Manual trans guys what are you running for Bellhousing/Scatter shield ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Russco, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I'm finishing up the last few things on my 383 motor build for a 40 Coupe. I'm down to selecting a flywheel, clutch and bellhousing. I will be running a TKO 600 trans. I have a 621 Chevy bell housing I was planning to use but now I am wondering about going with a scatter shield type. This is 99% street car that will see a few trips down the strip. I don't plan on turning it more than 6000 RPM's. I wasn't wanting to spend another 600.00 if I don't need to. So who is running scatter shields on their Hot Rods.

1Nimrod likes this.
  2. classic gary

classic gary

Short answer, yes, behind a 6-71/327, in front of Muncie 4speed. None of the sanctioning bodies will let you race a clutch car without one.

1Nimrod likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

I have a slushbox....but if I were in your position, I'd go with a scattershield.

4. I would not even consider running a clutch car without a billet flywheel and a scattershield! I run an ancient Lakewood...

Attached Files:

5. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

One of the few things i saved from the circle track car was the lakewood scattersheild i bought new over 20 years ago...no way i want to lose my legs for any amount of $$$$

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Its Lakewood for me behind a 509 in big block and super T10

7. 64gal

64gal

A used(out of date) blow proof bell isn't very expensive and affords a lot more protection than a stock bell.

8. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Can't go wrong with a blow proof bellhousing. Be sure to index it correctly.

9. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

Dirtracing swapmets are a good place to find them...racingjunk.com is a good site to find them also...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. I also use an old Lakewood, and a new aluminum flywheel especially after seeing a 270 GMC blow the flywheel at the hamb drags a couple years ago. Luckily the racer had a homemade protective shield and the only casualty was a truck's mirror when a hunk of flywheel flew into the spectator's cars parked offtrack.

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Russco, trying to remember if your 383 was a solid lifter motor? If it is, you'll need one before they'll let you make a pass.

12. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

How important are your feet, ankles, knees,hands, face, testicles... Just sayin'.

Attached Files:

54BOMB likes this.
  13. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

new flywheel and other components with hydraulic lifters you would be ok , but why risk it ?...

14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I have two of the old style, cast steel, R.C. Industries scattershields. Actually, one of those is made in aluminum, very thick aluminum. Although they are no longer legal for competition, they are more than adequate for the street with a performance engine. Plus, they don't have to be completely removed to service the clutch, they have a bolt on lower access cover. The Ansen's, in the same style, usually cost more than the R.C. Ind. units. The steel one I have has some deep scratches/gouges on the inside, so it obviously did it's job for someone in it's past. I'm adding the later model style block plate to them to protect the engine also. Butch/56sedandelivery.

15. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I would use a QuickTime bellhousing. They will fit where a Lakewood will not. They are owned by Lakewood Industries.

16. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

For the flathead guys, we took a chevy lakewood and found there was enough meat on bolting flange to redrill for rear pattern on an 8BA block, had a pilot bearing made for flathead flywheel that had chevy input shaft ID and viola, we had both a scattershield and an adaptor for chevy trans to 8BA flathead all in one, at swap meet prices. We stood a black on its nose, centered the scattershield on back to crank centerline and marked and drilled flange, all garage stuff, no fancy machine shop. Worked great, used it in our FED and then in the Anglia. used hydraulic clutch as I remember.

17. 29Av8 i've seen that dash before at a stop light in town here, stock flywheel took out the dash and windshield no one was hurt,283 with a 4 speed

18. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

QuickTime makes bellhousings for virtually any engine/transmission combination. including flatheads.

19. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know what brand this is, found it on eBay years ago. It's now in my 37 Ford with 388ci SBC in front of Muncie M22.

I don't know if it would pass current NHRA requirements, but I liked the removable inspection cover at the bottom. The opening was large enough to change clutch assembly later without having to pull the engine.

Attached Files:

20. oldsman41

oldsman41

if your going to put it on the strip and value your legs I would get the scattershield.

21. gicknordon

gicknordon

Im using a quicktime but thats mainly because it was the only bell housing i could find for my engine/ trans combo

22. I have a Lakewood in the Anglia

23. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm also using a TKO 600 in my model A. The Lakewood option takes up a bunch of room since it's sized for the big 168 tooth flywheel. I'm running a 153 toorh flywheel, and settled on the Tilton Sonic series bellhousing. It is not SFI certified, but is 1/4" hydroformed steel intended for stick car racing. It has a shallow bottom profile for clearance, and will take one of the Tilton bellhousing mounted hydraulic TOB or conventional fork type linkage.

24. 327Eric

327Eric

I have a stock bellhousing behind the 427 on my 59 Elcamino. It was a cost factor, but it is also a car that will never see strip time, and due to the weak nature of the stock components, doesn't get launched hard. If I had a decent chassis, I would step up to a scattershield in a heartbeat.

25. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I believe it is McLeod that makes a scattershield type bellhousing that is not SFI certified. For those who want piece of mind but are not going to sanctioned events that require the certification. I think these are in the $300 range.

26. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Thanks for the replies. I'm fully aware of what happens when one comes apart especially the flywheel. This motor will not see more than 6000 rpms (Hydraulic Roller) and will probably float at 6200 or so anyway.
    I will probably run it hard and make some drag strip passes. I will likely end up going with some type of scatter shield. I like the idea of the non Certified ones TR Waters speaks of Ill check into that. And now I will probably buy a good one for my truck which I do run pretty hard at the drags too that has never had one either.

27. If you are talking about a Chevy Motor, the Lakewood model 15000 is SFI certified and sells for $369.00

28. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

The Pic. of the 55 or 56 Chevy dash looks almost like one that our 55 race car did back in 1969 , we did not have the $$ for a scattershield ,even though they were not that expensive. I would NEVER run a 3 pedal car W/O one no matter how many R.P.M. it might go to. I like my feet & legs to stay with the rest of me,and after the one blew on the ole 55 it made a lifetime believers out of us.
    Do yourself a favor,and install a scattershield.........block saver too if you can !!!

29. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I also like the sound of this one but, I'm not finding much info or pricing on them.

30. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I run a McLeod that is SFI certified, but the only difference in a non certified is that it doesn't have the block plat in front of the flywheel.