Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Darryl Starbird's Chopped '57 Eldorado Brougham Story: "The Shark" !

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jonnie King, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

[​IMG]

TO ALL MY FRIENDS HERE AT THE H.A.M.B...

DARRYL STARBIRD'S NEWEST SUPER-CREATION is a Concept Version of what could have come out of Detroit ! A truly mind-blowing 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham called "THE SHARK" !

In this one-on-one Interview, Darryl told me the story of how he created it, how it can be used in 3 different versions, and, a humorous tale about what some early viewers said about it.

This is one story, from the true "King Of The Bubble Tops" that I wanted to share with you. PLUS, you'll see some rare photos that Darryl let me take during the early build of this fascinating, rare, Eldorado Brougham !

To Listen, Simply CLICK-ON-HERE !

Cool Story...ENJOY !

2. atomickustom

atomickustom

Daryl is a really nice guy but there is nothing traditional about that car! (Take that as a compliment or insult, but it's posted in the wrong forum.)

3. So, what makes it 'non-traditional'? The only things I see are the mirrors and maybe the wheels (but the wheels certainly aren't the focal point of the car). In terms of a 50s 'concept car', all the cues are there. Yes, it's not another 'variation on a theme' semi-copy/clone that too many 'trad' cars seem to be, but is that bad?

With that said, the windshield treatment just doesn't fit the car...

4. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It is one of the ugliest customs ever built and a total waste of a gorgeous and rare icon of a car.

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

We should respect the fact that Darryl Starbird is still around and able to create because too many customizers of the old days have passed on.

6. TN2Lane

TN2Lane

Unfortunately if you listen to the interview he's misinformed about the value of a restored Eldorado Brougham - they actually do bring over $200k.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  7. froghawk

froghawk

As much as I like Mr. Starbird's Predicta and some of his other earlier creations I don't understand where he was going with this car so have to agree with Nad's comment.

A great custom, "traditional" or otherwise, is supposed to improve or refine the original design. This doesn't do that by any stretch of the imagination.

8. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

That's the downfall of customs....for every one that worked there were 5 that didn't. This is one of the 5....

9. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

It aint workin for me.It just don't look right.

10. Holy shitballs, that's ugly

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yep, puts the why in ugly.

12. CadMad

CadMad

"Hey Darryl, Tell the listeners the hilarious story of when you chopped the Jackson Pollock in half so it would fit on your wall. Chortle chortle guffor tehe"
    What is worse is when he says it was an 85 point car. If it's any consolation there was a similar, if not worse, abomination committed to a high point Brougham by a Canadian shop for a French customer a few years back, that got 6 wheels, the roof lopped off, wheelchair access and possibly even less tasteful body mods. My stomach starts to roll when I even think about it. It went to Russia eventually . . . that is not far enough . . . My Dad used to say "Remember when you pick up an axe that you are holding great responsibility in your hands".

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

No. No. No.

It's like he's trying too hard and he really doesn't have to. He needs to go back to his roots. And I swear to GAWD, I'm so tired of seeing 24" RIMS on classic cars. Someone... ANYONE, of authority, has GOT to get the word out on that crappy fad. It just plain sucks.

14. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

Exhaust pipes, mirrors and wheels need to be changed. But not bad for the old guy!

15. Carolina Man

Carolina Man

My god that is a ugly Caddy.. They sure did ruin it.

16. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Not for me!

17. CadMad

CadMad

18. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Actually, it woulda looked better if he had stopped work during the stages when there was no paint on the car and the tires had rubber sidewalls. He coulda just shot some clear on it and been done.

19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Nice blog, but I'm sorry, the car is, at least to me, not worthy of a feature just because Darryl Starbird built it. Custom cars are, and have always been, a matter of the builders personal taste. Starbirds cars are over the top, with modifications done just to get show points, to draw people to shows, not for style points, or tasteful execution. This car is an example of that.

Brian

20. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

The problem here is the original Brougham already looks like an elegant '50s custom - like a sectioned, lowered '55 Eldo Seville. How is this an improvement? It's more of an exaggeration (which is the kind of treatment you'd give to a dull car to make it more dramatic).

21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The cheesy porch emblem on the nose was enough to stop me from looking further, but I went ahead anyway. I knew I shouldn't' have…

Brian

22. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

He built it, so that it would suck 3 different ways

23. Zykotec

Zykotec

Despite agreeing that it is certainly not the best looking custom out there, I appreciate the irony of a HotRod community in uproar over a 'ruined' classic car :)

24. roddinron

roddinron

Me too:), but we all cry the loudest when a classic goes to the crusher, and this is almost as bad.:( In a way, it's nice to see Starbird still creating, he has great skill, but unfortunately his eye has always seemed a little off to me. I think it's a shame what he did to that car, and his fame as a builder doesn't matter, it's what he produces, and messed up is messed up!

25. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Hideous,pure and simple..nothing at all traditional about this ride,in fact its the direct opposite of tradition.I respect Mr starbirds talent and contribution to the hobby,but this is just distasteful

26. squeaky32

squeaky32

it disgusts me to see that car ruined.

27. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

The reason I think this car is so unpopular is that it really appeals to no particular group. What it does it represent is tons of waste and misplaced talent.

I get the same uneasy feeling when I see a dog walking on its hind legs. You know it doesn't come easy but it still ain't right.

28. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

ugly is a nice way to put it.

29. Sonny Day Out

Sonny Day Out

All,

I have owned six 57-58 Cadillac Eldorado Broughams !

I saw the Starbird thing at S.E.M.A , all that it needs is 5 gallons of gas and a match !

Good Luck,
    Sonny

30. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

I would disagree that the car is ruined. What can be welded can be unwelded. But also, I have no love for a stock Brougham.
    They are just ugly, ugly cars.
    When I first read about this one being built a few years back I had high hopes (which deep down I knew wouldn't be fulfilled) that he would take those godawful fins off the back.
    The front end treatment looks cool. I am not entirely sure just what is going on with the wheels. Or mirrors. Or with that hood eagle for that matter. But those things aside, a marked improvement over the original.
    May haps someone of means will see it and say 'I like where this is headed' and do another up; and cut those goddamned fins off.
    Who else was doing a Brougham; Hines?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.