Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 4 door Hudson - mild kustom? traditional?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratwasp, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Because I can

Because I can

Nice car! Congrats! . . . I just put my '54 Hornet Special in the classifieds . . . . but I must admit . . .

e002.JPG

e015.jpg

e016.jpg

I have used some gray and black mexi-blankets ONLY because the seat color I hate . . . . maroon . . . :eek:

Personally, I've always liked the lines of a 4-door better than a 2-door, but the 2-doors are still bad ass.

I say do it your way . . . people will dig it unless you run across a Hudson perfectionist . . . . look out . . .

And you will really like all the Hudson stories from guys at the shows . . . .

Good luck!

Scott

2. Because I can

Because I can

Nailed it!

3. ratwasp

ratwasp

Thanks for the reply, and pics! Great looking Hudson! Looks like you went the hot rod route with a SBC? I have to agree its not a bad looking 4 door, the side window set up is very unique. I am on the HET Club forums too, so I have already talked to some of the Hudson purists!

4. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

That car would look great decked out 50s style. Clean ,lowered stance,white walls and nice caps. Don't shave anything. Save up for a better paint job. Single color,glossy and a clean interior.

5. 327Eric

327Eric

I think Speedway sells some nice repro caps, though I don't think they sell the Sombreros. Colorwise I'd go with a pastel, and avoid the grapics. Lower it, put on the wide whites, pipes and drive it. It always seemed to me that guys spent way too much time and money trying to make there Mercs look like Hudsons.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  6. 19 and 53 Hudson

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. I usually love heavy flakes, but the Hudsons have such sexy lines, I think it would be more of a distraction, and take away from its inherent beauty. Personally, I'd go with a non-metallic deep midnight blue, kind of what this pickup is wearing...

[​IMG]

I think it would make the lines of the car really pop like gloss black would do, but be just a bit different than all the other black cars at the shows. I'd top it off with the aforementioned lowering and wide whites, and '56 Olds hubcaps.

8. GrimGreaser

GrimGreaser

Heh... Hudson: Chopped before chopped was cool!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Because I can

Because I can

Thanks . . . hate to get rid of it, but I want to build something else, and have a killer engine to stuff into it, and there is no way it will fit in the Hudson . . . . :eek:

PC112477.JPG

10. ratwasp

ratwasp

is that a drag boat?!

11. Because I can

Because I can

My "lake" boat :D

954700_3111108832979_1458067963_n.jpg

12. ratwasp

ratwasp

Lancers on the Hudson???

13. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way cool car.That is the one and only body style,that I prefer the the 4door over the 2door.Myself,I would find some Lincoln premiers,keep the shine,save my money and paint it later if I couldn't handle the color.Think of it as S.P.Gs. (Smiles per Gallon)

14. ratwasp

ratwasp

Thanks for the input, it's a good lookin "more door"! Rebuilding the wheel cylinders & brake system right now, and will be adding the Coker white walls & lower it next. Those Premiers and Caddy hubcaps are hard to come by!!

15. The 56 Olds ones are everywhere for cheap. Or, you could always just get a set of new ones from Mooneyes.

16. The premier hubcaps do pop up on ebay from time to time, but expect to pay over 100.00 each. Caddy sombrero's are pretty spendy too.

Stock 54 Hudson wheelcovers are pretty nice, in fact, I've always wanted a set for my Hudson.

You might want to think about Oldsmobile sombreros or Buick Sombreros. Both are available for pretty cheap and look great!

17. Whatever you do don't shave anything or chop anything. A little lower stance would be okay as I've debated that for a while on my 51. But it's probably just going to remain at the stock height. Anyhow congratulations on the new 54 that's a great looking car!

18. hudson48

hudson48

You can get the Lincoln Premiere caps at hubcaps.com
    I used them on my roadster.

Attached Files:

19. fat141

fat141

Flat/matte paint looks crap on a custom.
    I agree, paul, they gotta be dark and shiny My pick, Imperial burgandy,
    mid 70's Ford colour. At least it was down here in Aus
    Cheers

20. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

I don't know I missed this? So what happened??

21. ratwasp

ratwasp

Not too much has been done cosmetically yet. Needed to repair the brakes and rebuild wheel cylinders. Next is the trans. Did track down some fender skirts though! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388475372.817931.jpg

Attached Files:

22. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I always ment that the 2doors begges to be turn in to a smokey/pan-America/stockcar/roadracer car. And the 4doors calls for a custom treatment!

But dont forget the small details that make the whole car. Frenched antennes and headlights and a nice shiney paint !

What is that under handles? It looks like Anti theft protektion on a vw Rabbits!

It's okay to remove some trim, but dont take it all.
    What sets the wasp apart from the hornet?

23. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Stainless trim.

24. ratwasp

ratwasp

Apart from the lower trim options, the Wasp has a shorter wheelbase than the Hornet. I could be wrong, but from what I understand the body is identical from the firewall back (shorter fenders & hood)

25. ratwasp

ratwasp

Lowered a little bit with new bias ply's new whites.JPG

patmanta likes this.
  26. Zerk

Zerk

Looking good! How is she driving?

ratwasp likes this.
  27. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Nothing wrong with that. I like the current state. Hope you are enjoying it.

ratwasp likes this.
  28. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

The cars looking great! I have a 49 but I have to admit I have Mexican blankets on the seats (temporary) until I can teach myself to sew good enough to try to make new covers but I couldent have my son climbing in and out with the seats how they we're springs exposed and all. I have 53 oldmobile hubcaps on mine with wwws It's gonna have a couple primer spots temporarily too as I'm going for a mild custom so I'm changing the grill and removing some trim/holes and fixing some rust but it will go back glossy dark green.

ratwasp likes this.
  29. ratwasp

ratwasp

Thanks guys, she's comin along. New brakes & wheel cylinders, trans rebuild, rekeyed all the locks, tires, shocks & suspension tweaks, BUT I'm still going thru hell with clutch problems. My contacts in the HET Club have been super helpful, but as any of you Hudson guys know, the "wet" clutch is a unique set up. Might have to pull the trans again next week :(

30. ratwasp

ratwasp

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411018222.707935.jpg
    Lowered..Blocks & cut coils

kiwijeff likes this.