Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1928-29 ford roadster find

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by kasultana, May 23, 2013.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

JJs got it right! Fenders do rule! I have always wanted a full fendered '28 '29 roadster my self. Hell, if I had them my roadster pickup wouldn't be a hiboy!

2. kasultana

kasultana

The fenders are in great shape on this car. Maybe I'll mock them up with/without to see. I started a 28-29 build last year and its the lowboy/painted car (brookville body). I see this one as Henry made it with a few late 40's/50's tricks to it but pretty much as is. JJ you aren't far from my shop in Mooresville we got to hook up at some point. I love Cory's roadster I think it captures the spirt of what were trying to get very well.

3. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

That's beautiful!

4. kasultana

kasultana

A little progress with motor/trans mounted and firewall getting modified. Had a change of heart on the suspension. Going to split the bones and use 4" drop axle. Hope to see alot of that fabrication done this week as a few parts come in.

Attached Files:

5. kasultana

kasultana

Front end coming along well today John and Dave split the bones and reinstalled the stock spring with reversed eyes. 12" juice brakes will be on tap. starting to really take shape.

Attached Files:

6. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Looking good!

7. kasultana

kasultana

Just an update. Another busy week. Pedals, master cylinder, radiator, floor, rear end open drive and getting the hood working again. Ray and John and the shop making great progress

Attached Files:

8. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

Bare metal is always very impressive. Nice to see this stuff is still out there!

9. kasultana

kasultana

Thanks other than the grill shell and us changing the floor to steel. It's carrying most of its old metal. We are having alot of fun with the build for sure.

10. kasultana

kasultana

Been a while since last update but we're close. Here's how it looks on the ground. Another week or so and we will have it finished. Taking the car to Autofair in Charlotte

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. It looks good. You have made a lot of progress.

Where will you be at Autofair?

12. kasultana

kasultana

We'll be in manufaturer's row. Our shop is called Man Made Legends. Thanks

13. B.Sharp

B.Sharp

Very cool project. I would trim the windshield down a bit for my taste but other than that it looks great. Have fun with it and what an awesome find.

14. sololobo

sololobo

goes ta show ya, they are still out there, just not as many. Super cool score buddy, sounds like a nice plan! ~sololobo~

15. Jason455

Jason455

I like patina. Park anywhere and no worries. Always have to worry about idiots when its painted.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. kasultana

kasultana

One last photo on its way to the show. Still needs a week or two to completely finish. We debated chopping the windshield 2" but decided to just layback the uprights. Might still change it but wanted to get it on the road.

Attached Files:

17. kasultana

kasultana

Well as usual a couple weeks turned into a few more than that but our maiden drive around the back of the shop happened last night. Grinning ear to ear the whole time. It been a long road and well worth it. We have a small list of things to sort out yet but it will hit asphalt this week!

Attached Files:

18. Doesn't get much better than that!

19. olskool34

olskool34

Really nice looking roadster, the headers flow really well. Nice job!

20. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Super nice roadster!

21. Stingraystripes65

Stingraystripes65
    from NWI

Great find! Love the headers, great work!

No brains, no headaches -Ed Roth

22. hilltopgaragede

hilltopgaragede
    from Delaware

Cool Car!

Oil the body and chassis with Gibbs oil. Preserves the look, evens it up, gives it a semi - gloss/flat finish. Preserves it and helps repel water. Try a small place to see if you like it first.

If you paint it, you'll never be able to get that old time look back.

23. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Nice job on the build. It looks spot on.

With the wheels that are on it, a shiny black paint for the body would look great.

I have a '30 on the shelf and envision a build like yours.

Neal

24. kasultana

kasultana

Thanks all. we're going to patina the body to maintain the look. I'll post pictures when we get it done this week.

25. olskool34

olskool34

Only suggestion I have would be to find an original patina'd grill shell to match the body. They can be found pretty cheap.

26. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...and lose the street rod super bell axle for a henry ford one...my .02 cents

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. kasultana

kasultana

I've got a Henry axle just needs to get dropped/modified to accept hub/brake set up. On the grill shell and the windshield posts we are going to patina to match the body so we'll see if we can get it all to tie.

28. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

Kaultana, great story, and I know exactly where you found it! I had some parts blasted by David last year and the roadster was in his shop collecting blasting dust. I spoke with the owner and he just wanted too much for it. Hope he came to reality and you got it for a good price? I even tried to buy it a second time and he wouldn't budge. Glad you have it and are doing something with it, good luck! it is really looking good.

29. kasultana

kasultana

Very cool it will be pretty much finished this week. Its a blast to drive and glad we got to rescue it. I have the top as well and I've been thinking of getting it working as well so then the whole car would be back together. Come visit the shop any time.

30. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

And take the electric fan off the car
    :)