Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How the Hell do these come apart?!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lucky77, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Lucky77

Lucky77

The front spring perches on my 1950 F1 have me baffled. How does the leaf spring come out so I can get to the rivets to remove the perches. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1384307278.701242.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

wow. first you gotta clean that 'stuff' off so you can see the fasteners

3. Might help to take a wire brush to all that dirt & old grease first so you can see what you're dealing with ? Just a thought. I'm guessing you may have to remove the grease fitting and use some sort of puller in the hole but there will be someone along shortly who has the answers. I'm just amazed that you didn't even bother to clean up the crap and have a look at it for yourself before posting. Most of these type of things are pretty obvious once you have a good look at how they go together.

4. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

was there a bolt on the end of it...??

5. Lucky77

Lucky77

Thanks for stating the obvious and guessing NHBandit.

I scraped at it enough to see there's just a grease zerk on the end of the perch. Just need to know if I need a puller or something else to get this spring out. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1384308565.708545.jpg

6. It's like the old adage "You can see the forest for the trees" in this case the "Bolt for all the dried dirt". :D HRP

7. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

Looks like you need a spanner wrench or socket On a gm , that pin is threaded and screws in or out .

8. specialty tool or just a screw driver in one of the notches and a hammer and tap it around counter clockwise. (might soak the be-jesus out of it first with your fav. solvent)then drive the pin out

9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Not sure if your gonna need that out anyway or not but I beleive I could get to those rivet heads with a 4 inch grinder.
    If youve got the spring loose at the back hanger just raise or lower it enough to get at it.
    After you get the heads ground off you can hit the hanger downward enough with a sledge to break it loose and get it off.

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

That really looks like REAR spring

11. Lucky77

Lucky77

FRONT of the REAR perches.
    Thanks for all the help...

12. if you clean off the inside edge near the frame i believe you will find a lock bolt that keeps the pin in place. once you remove it you can drive the pin out through the hole on the inside of the frame.

13. Lucky77

Lucky77

Thank you, that's what I was looking for.

14. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!

All you rubes who were just guessing would have ruined alot of screw drivers and chisels thinking that you could unscrew the spring bolt. Below is a picture of a new pin and the notch at the back of it is were the retaining bolt engages it. More then likely, you will still need a BFH and big bowl of Wheaties to drive the damn pins out once the retaining bolt is removed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  15. beernut

beernut
    from solvang

air hammer and lots of spray lube :cool::cool::cool:

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

There will be a cross bolt like a king pin wedge lock bolt take the not off and tap it out then you can use a bolt and sleeve in the end where it is threded to pull it out.
    If the pin has a bad groove wore in it you will have to fiddle with it to get it lined up to get it out.

17. Somebody

Somebody

Cut the rivets and shackle bolts off and re-build it all with new grade 8 fasteners.

18. schuyler

schuyler
    from Tennessee

Definitely a lock pin back there. Also, I would ask questions about your f-1 at the fte website...more info and almost never anybody that's rude.

19. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I believe it's you can't see the forest for the trees.

20. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Nobody's ever rude? How much fun could THAT be?