Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bench seat options for A coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsiddons, Nov 12, 2013.

1. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I have a minivan seat already. My problem is the damn thing is kinda tapered the wrong way. Bottom line I just really don't like it. Has anyone cut down a early S 10 or Ranger seat? Or what else will work. CJ rear seat is to small at 33".

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Jokester

Jokester

Consider who will be driving it. My wife has shorter legs than I, so when she's driving the seat is pulled way forward. If I had a bench seat, me knees would be against the windshield. I vote for individual seats.

My 2¢.

lbjb

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I've cut down a few S-10 seats but the backs are not very high and don't quite look right...

4. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

I toyed around with a swap seat frame with my 30 coupe. Out of sure craziness I went with the stock. It turned out better than I ever expected. Looking perfect and natural it fits.

5. 68Camaro427

68Camaro427

I'm in the process of cutting down an S10 bench seat for my 29 A.
    Scrap metal 48 - I never really considered the seat back being low. :( I'll have to keep my eye on that.

I sold the stock A seat last summer. I'm too tall to fit behind the wheel with the stock/unadjustable seat, so I started looking for alternatives. Lo and behold, craigslist came through, and the price was right (free-get this seat my son bought out of my garage!!), so if it does end up being too short at the backrest, I'll only be out time and mig supplies :)

6. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

You want a lower back so you can push it back further. I've cut down some s10 seats for a coupes and trucks. My brother is 6' 2" and I got him to fit in a 28 truck cab.

7. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Keep'm comin. What are more bench ideas? I got a $10 '90's dodge caravan third row, but was too wide. So do u just start sawing off foam of outer sides?
    Seems there' s some old threads on this; but what are other good ideas?

8. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Middle row mid 90's caravan seat worked like a charm, made new seat riser angle just right.

9. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Cut frame in half, take out section that is too wide, weld it back up. cut foam off on ends. It will come out great, you can do this.

10. High density foam and plywood works great and when covered it doesn't look like a mini van seat. HRP

11. ...Second row 90's Dodge Minivan seat in my coupe project...

Attached Files:

12. ^^^^^ That looks like a jeep rear seat to me. Judging by the fabric and shape.

Fits good...

13. ...You're probably right!.. It was in there when I got the car...Thanks!

14. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

Almost looks like a back seat to a blazer or bronco.

15. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Thanks. I'm headed to the yard this weekend. Never thought about the Bronco. The Jeep seat must be a TJ looks like a good fit. I must just got the wrong year van seat. I will still look at them to.

16. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

What's the plan for the seat. I'm using a stock seat with a rebuild spring kit and I turned out perfect

17. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Pontoon boat seat. Already upholstered in a 50's style. Not the buckets. The bench ones.

18. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

19. Oldmanolds

Oldmanolds

Here is my answer to the same problem I had. The oversized lumbar is for a bad back. This seat is great for trips 4 hours or more. Before with the buckets I had I was good only for a short trip.

Attached Files:

20. All the parts are available to rebuild a stock seat. Wood kit for the seat and back platforms and spring units. Ends up about $450.00 for all, plus upholstery. Lebaron-Bonney.
    If you are looking for original style, made well, it is another option.

21. I narrowed an '84 Ranger seat by about 6" if memory serves me and I am using it in my '32 pickup. It is comfortable, adjustable and the seat back tilts forward for access. I cut the foam with one of those electric carving knives and glued it back together with spray trim adhesive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. dragass

dragass

I went with 1960's A-100 Dodge van buckets. Perfect fit.

23. Rochie

Rochie

Mine is a middle seat out of a mid 90's dodge minivan. If you take one bolt out each side of the seat back, the back will fold forward to allow access to "SOME" storage behind the seat. I've spent a few 12 hour driving days sitting on it and it works great.

Attached Files:

24. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

25. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I like this.

26. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I've got a list now and a tape measure. Thanks for all the options. I have a stock a seat but don't like it either. The back is kinda a funky shape. I want to roll some pleats over the top to the back and looking for a more rounded back I guess.