Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Prototype Turbo 6cyl Suburban

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dixiedog, Oct 17, 2013.

1. 66caprice

66caprice
    BANNED
    from canada

Oh I will

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. You need to add a word to your vocabulary (well, quite a few, actually). The word is anachronism
    a·nach·ro·nism
    &#601;&#712;nakr&#601;&#716;niz&#601;m/<input style="height:16px;width:16px" height="16" type="image" width="16">
    noun
    noun: anachronism;&#8195;plural noun: anachronisms
    a thing belonging or appropriate to a period other than that in which it exists

How can a turbo, that didn't exist untill the 70s be OEM on a 1965 vehicle. GM hadn't invented the time machine yet in 65

3. 66caprice

66caprice
    BANNED
    from canada

Ignorance must be bliss eh

Attached Files:

4. 66caprice

66caprice
    BANNED
    from canada

I love how im jumped all over for saying untill theres more info on the parts numbers that its not out side the realm of possibilities that some guys from gm experimented on 10 trucks to see if it was viable to turbo a 6 cyl using the parts avaliable to them before they put something into production and that more research needs to be done before its written of as a home built but thats just my opinion that some more research should be done before some internet know it all's discourage some guy about his find with out all the facts

5. 66caprice

66caprice
    BANNED
    from canada

But hey im only 13 years old and work on bicycles what do I know

6. indyjps

indyjps

I disagree, by the time a vehicle gets built, the parts are designed and released, building the vehicle with production intent parts allows the manufacturer to put hours and miles on the parts to prove them out. A racing endeavor will be mostly fabricated due to low volume, a production intent will be based on production tooling. I've done new product introduction, these aren't thrown together for the hell of it. Either way this is a cool vehicle even if it doesn't turn out to be a factory prototype, the OP should get it running and driving in this configuration and see how it performs

7. Good Lord man, have they invented the period in Canada yet???? It looks like this> . Try it sometime.
    How is it, in your obviously brilliant and deductive mind that you think that a 1965 vehicle can have 70s equipment on it. GM engineers would have not have used a 5 or 6 year old vehicle to do testing and prototype design, they would have pulled a brand new vehicle off of the line. You are wrong, just admit it. No shame in that. Your opinion is ridiculous and has no merit. Continuing to try to foist it on the rest of us is what is making you look like a jackass. Well, that and your writing skills

8. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

I wouldn't worry about those saddle tanks, I think it was 20 20 that tried to show how dangerous they were, and they were caught detinating the tanks to make them explode because they would't go boom without it.

9. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Damn Carl! Quit beating around the bush and just say whats on your mind.

10. ^^^^I try the gentleness and respect thing most of the time, but when your dealing with thick heads, often the more direct approach is required.
    I think of myself as refreshingly candid.
    My profile tells the rest
    Oh, and BTW, the little history lesson on the turbocharger that he supplied is interesting yet, simultaneously worthless and inane.
    Read this very carefully. I'll make the words big, if that helps
    That turbo setup could not have been put on that vehicle in 1965
    Just like Columbus didn't have a GPS and U.S Grant didn't have fighter jets

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  11. 327Eric

327Eric

The Holley four barrell and adapter plate should be the first clue that it is not factory. Although GM had used Holley carburetors on production vehicles, by 1965 they had plenty of expierience with turbocharged applications, and between the Corvair, and the Olds Jetfire, there were enough Parts in the bin to have a whole system with GM parts Numbers. When I was in College, the Auto Program had a lot of cars donated by G.M. . One of the cars was an 86 Buick Grand National. This we believed was a true factory Experimental car, as many of the part numbers had an X on them.

12. squeaky32

squeaky32

x2. seriously.

13. 66caprice

66caprice
    BANNED
    from canada

Wow you guys are trully a friendly bunch

14. 66caprice

66caprice
    BANNED
    from canada

Is it a custom to be so pleasant to new people around here

15. squirrel

squirrel

16. When you post stupidity and then insist it is correct, you can expect a drubbing

17. 66caprice

66caprice
    BANNED
    from canada

I never insisted anything all I said is that more research should be done before completely writing off the idea

18. squirrel

squirrel

Could be that I've already done enough research to write it off....paying close attention to cars and trucks for 40 years.

19. 66caprice

66caprice
    BANNED
    from canada

Im sorry I liked the thought of a turbo 6 suburban its been my daily driver for 15 years

20. squirrel

squirrel

Then build one. Since Chevy didn't.

21. With this system, is there anything that controlled the boost on it. I don't see any waste gate.

22. squirrel

squirrel

Move back in time...I just got mine running a few months ago. Has a boring old 350 in it, but it's still a hoot to drive.

[​IMG]

23. 1955IHC

1955IHC

:cool:

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

Attached Files:

24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Not all systems have a waste gate..keeps people from turning them up and messing things up..a designed amount is built in and thats it..

25. dixiedog

dixiedog

No waste gate on this one. I am guessing that there isn't a lot of boost, the impeller housing on intake side is small, but I am used to seeing turbo's on Cummins diesels.

It fired up with gas down the carb, but have what I see as a lot of rust in the block - see other thread with photos.

26. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

I've always liked the idea of an inline turbo setup, cool truck. I think those drawthru setups are pretty tough to tune, but would still be cool to see it run. Build it!

27. Bye 66caprice it's been a pleasure, well not really and it didn't take you long to get yourself banned.

28. my50chevy

my50chevy

dixiedog,

did you find out any other info on the burb?

29. This burb rocks!:D

30. Somebody

Somebody

Know how to tell if a guy is lying? Answer: His lips are moving. My guess is that the guy was just telling you stories but weirder things have turned out to be true so who knows?