Register now to get rid of these ads!

Replaceing Cam Gear on a 235

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevelle bob, Nov 12, 2013.

1. chevelle bob

chevelle bob
    from Linton

So I am going to reuse my cam and wehn I took it out yesterday I noticed a couple teeth on the fibre gear are in bad shape. I am going to replace it with an aluminum gear. Do I have to replace the crank gear at the same time? I am not removing the crank and did not know if it is possible to change the gear on it with the crank in the engine or if I could keep the stock steel one on it and just add the aluminum cam gear.

Thanks,

2. R Pope

R Pope

The stock cam gear is fiber, no good, find an aluminum one. A small puller will take the crank gear off easily. They come as a set, change them both.

3. chevelle bob

chevelle bob
    from Linton

Thanks, HOw do I install the crank gear with the crank still in the block? The end of the crank is not threaded to use an installer and I don't want to have to take the crank out.

4. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

My neighbor, a retired GM mechanic, told me in the dealership he worked in they used to drill and tap the crank to install the gear.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

How do I install the crank gear with the crank still in the block?
    After pulling the original, dress the shaft to clean any burrs, same with woodie key. Lightly coat shaft w/ anti-seize. Heat gear. Using pipe slightly larger than snout, drive it on.
    Be sure the thrust plate under the cam isn't damaged when replacing the gear. Set cam end play tight - under .002.

6. GOSFAST

GOSFAST

Just remember the aluminum gear (Cloyes #2514) cannot be pressed on the cam, it must be heated and installed by hand. It's been this way forever.

The crank gear (Cloyes #2537) can stay if it's OK, it's the same part number regardless of the cam gear material.

(Add) If I recall correctly there is a small shim (spacer) between the cam gear and the cam, slightly thicker than the thrust plate which "sets" the cam end-play?? If this is the case, don't "lose" it, they use to be stuck on the cams and not easily noticable.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. At one point in time we had a few customers racing the 230" and 250" 6 cyl Chevs with the aluminum gear also, but we would drill and tap the cam for a bolt and "very thin" washer. Worked well back then. You just don't have much room between the cam snout and the timing covers!

7. chevelle bob

chevelle bob
    from Linton

Thanks for your help.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!