Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Anyone seen leaf springs like this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by monkeyodoom, Nov 12, 2013.

1. monkeyodoom

monkeyodoom
    from Arkansas

These are the leaf springs i pulled off my 41 ford. Was just wondering what they might have came off of. I've never seen wrapped leaf springs before.

Attached Files:

2. 117harv

117harv

They are stock, the center bolt has a zerk fitting and the wrap keeps the grease in and dirt and water out.

3. monkeyodoom

monkeyodoom
    from Arkansas

stock out of what? i thought the 41 fords didn't have parallel leafsprings. i know the mounts they where attached to were not factory. they were welded on too crappy for it to be original

4. 117harv

117harv

They dont, your car was converted if it had parallel. Ford were wrapped, looking again they may be a different make as the arc looks like its too flat? Hard to tell from your pics.

5. monkeyodoom

monkeyodoom
    from Arkansas

cool thanks. would there be any need or want for these? i've put a new suspension kit on it so i don't have a use for them.

6. gwarren007

gwarren007

I took a pair of those off of my 1950 Chevy wagon. They were wrapped just like that.

Mine were 49" x 1.75"

Mine went to the recycler...

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

lots of cars wrapped thier springs like that to hold a bunch of grease. my 49 Chevrolet was like that.

I have a giant poster from the 30's or 40's showing a spring and some guy... can't remember what it says now, but it is about greasing your springs and the company that made the wrap that holds the grease

8. Sure ! Anyone looking to change over to parallel leafs or a guy who has nothing.
    Put it up on the "pay it forward" thread if you are just going to scrap them.

9. I have had a few 46-48 Chevrolet cars that were wraped was well.

10. Voh

Voh

Looks like the ones on the back of my '41 chevy. Those were wrapped just like that. I bet they are 1-3/4" wide too.

11. monkeyodoom

monkeyodoom
    from Arkansas

yeah seems about right for the width. i'm not where i can measure them at the moment.

12. waterhorse

waterhorse

WW2 Military Dodge 4X4 ambulances used wrapped springs also.

13. 43willys

43willys

My dads 48 Pontiac coupe had wrapped rear springs stock also.

14. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

49 Plymouth are wrapped.

15. 23reotim

23reotim
    from arizona

my 23 REO has them wrapped like that

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

There is a thread here about setting up a fat fendered Ford with '47-'53 type Chevy truck front springs and hangers for a parallel rear set up. I was aware of this practice long before the thread, so that might answer the question what and where they are from. Covered springs was very much the norm by the forties with almost all manufacturers dabbling in it at one time or another.

17. noboD

noboD

I've seen cars from the 20's with covers too, think they were called gators.